Girls State

cougars130

34 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

I was watching the boys but was curious how those that follow and were watching the girls wrestle felt about 132lb championship match. Obviously it was ruled illegal, so I guess my question is...how egregious was it? Was it illegal 20 yrs ago or considered "good hard wrestling"? 

I’ll say this both girls are great girls and I wished both of them the best. Was it an ending either of them wanted absolutely not. 
What it came down to is not being cleared by the medical staff to return due to concussion. 
Was the slam intentionally done to injure the other No it was not but it happened and the results happened Can’t change it now. 
I hope they both know they are outstanding and I have enjoyed watching them wrestle over the years. 

23 minutes ago, cougars130 said:

I’ll say this both girls are great girls and I wished both of them the best. Was it an ending either of them wanted absolutely not. 
What it came down to is not being cleared by the medical staff to return due to concussion. 
Was the slam intentionally done to injure the other No it was not but it happened and the results happened Can’t change it now. 
I hope they both know they are outstanding and I have enjoyed watching them wrestle over the years. 

Unintentionally happened in the last minutes of a match Gibbs’ Redmond was dominating. An outstanding wrestler hitting a move wrestling hard. The arm was trapped but the slam was no where near as hard as any other slam. Redmond is the true best wrestler at 132 no matter the outcome of that match. I personally find it embarrassing that the TSSAA can have a Title IX ceremony and then allow a “girl named Ty” to wrestle in a bracket with straight up girls. If you are confused about your gender you shouldn’t be in a regular bracket. Haley was robbed by a person who shouldn’t have been there. This might be a hot take, but this was wrong to the girls in the 132 bracket. Congrats to Haley for being the best 132 in the state for girls. 

Also, I would’ve done the same as Coach Pittman after the match. 

On 2/20/2023 at 4:22 PM, cougars130 said:

I’m not treating them any different I don’t do the boys Rankings I do the Girls and So I myself Choose not to do them. Nobody Pays me to do the rankings you can post who you think will win that’s cool but I won’t be posting them. 

Have not saw you make a comment all year on anything related to the girls so why start now. 

Sorry, did not realize I could not make a comment, or there was a time limit. 

10 hours ago, MidwestXFER said:

Sorry, did not realize I could not make a comment, or there was a time limit. 

Not sure what you mean but it’s over now hope you enjoyed watching them like the rest of us. 

I’m guessing this was in response to not being involved with anything girls related that has been posted on here so again feel free to make your own rankings next year. 

14 hours ago, notyourmomsmom said:

Unintentionally happened in the last minutes of a match Gibbs’ Redmond was dominating. An outstanding wrestler hitting a move wrestling hard. The arm was trapped but the slam was no where near as hard as any other slam. Redmond is the true best wrestler at 132 no matter the outcome of that match. I personally find it embarrassing that the TSSAA can have a Title IX ceremony and then allow a “girl named Ty” to wrestle in a bracket with straight up girls. If you are confused about your gender you shouldn’t be in a regular bracket. Haley was robbed by a person who shouldn’t have been there. This might be a hot take, but this was wrong to the girls in the 132 bracket. Congrats to Haley for being the best 132 in the state for girls. 

My daughter Lilli Cobb wrestled 132 and I find your post very offensive.  The situation was unfortunate neither wrestler won that match.  Redmond was dominant and I’m sure would have finished as champion but she made a mistake one that cost her big.  Bryant was given the title but I’m sure she would tell you that’s not the way she wanted it.   But as an adult to attack a child like the post above does is horrible.  I can carry this conversation further by telling you I fully believe in TITLE IX and took Lilli to the State Capital where she testified twice last Spring in front of the House of Representatives subcommittees to protect women’s sports from males entering as females.   The bill was successfully passed into law.  
I understand the hurt of an opportunity missed as I too had similar situation in 1994.  It’s easy to blame others for our shortcomings but I made a choice as did Redmound and it cost us big.  It sucks but hopefully she realizes what a talented wrestler she is and continues to use these life lessons to be very successful in her life to come.   To the author of the post above I hope you can also find peace and recant your statement. 

Sharrock Cobb

Edited by 4545
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 4545 said:

My daughter Lilli Cobb wrestled 132 and I find your post very offensive.  The situation was unfortunate neither wrestler won that match.  Redmond was dominant and I’m sure would have finished as champion but she made a mistake one that cost her big.  Bryant was given the title but I’m sure she would tell you that’s not the way she wanted it.   But as an adult to attack a child like the post above does is horrible.  I can carry this conversation further by telling you I fully believe in TITLE IX and took Lilli to the State Capital where she testified twice last Spring in front of the House of Representatives subcommittees to protect women’s sports from males entering as females.   The bill was successfully passed into law.  
I understand the hurt of an opportunity missed as I too had similar situation in 1994.  It’s easy to blame others for our shortcomings but I made a choice as did Redmound and it cost us big.  It sucks but hopefully she realizes what a talented wrestler she is and continues to use these life lessons to be very successful in her life to come.   To the author of the post above I hope you can also find peace and recant your statement. 

Sharrock Cobb

I have spent a fair amount of time around Redmond this year, she dates Hunter Mason who I coach. I am curious as to the "mistake" you are claiming she made? She hit a big lift as she and 90% of others are coached to do so I struggle to call it a mistake. I have no comment if the arm was trapped or not because I do not know I did not have the angle, it appeared from the outside looking in that the refs spent the weekend stopping action for girls that they do not stop for boys and it cost several girls good positions and opportunities.

Someone above listed the medical staff would not clear Bryant to continue and I do not believe that to be true. If she was not cleared by the medical staff they would not have stood her up they would have left her seated to finish her neurological assessment , the staff there are fantastic and I believe they would have been much more precautionary if they believed she could not continue. It was simply an unfortunate event where the match ended prematurely, but I am sure her coaches made the best call they could with the information available to them.

I understand I may have some bias in how I wanted the match to go, so I hope I have made justice to the situation without overstepping.

Momma Cobb I enjoyed watching your girl wrestle this season and congrats to your family on her wonderful HS career!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OleSweatpants said:

I have spent a fair amount of time around Redmond this year, she dates Hunter Mason who I coach. I am curious as to the "mistake" you are claiming she made? She hit a big lift as she and 90% of others are coached to do so I struggle to call it a mistake. I have no comment if the arm was trapped or not because I do not know I did not have the angle, it appeared from the outside looking in that the refs spent the weekend stopping action for girls that they do not stop for boys and it cost several girls good positions and opportunities.

Someone above listed the medical staff would not clear Bryant to continue and I do not believe that to be true. If she was not cleared by the medical staff they would not have stood her up they would have left her seated to finish her neurological assessment , the staff there are fantastic and I believe they would have been much more precautionary if they believed she could not continue. It was simply an unfortunate event where the match ended prematurely, but I am sure her coaches made the best call they could with the information available to them.

I understand I may have some bias in how I wanted the match to go, so I hope I have made justice to the situation without overstepping.

Momma Cobb I enjoyed watching your girl wrestle this season and congrats to your family on her wonderful HS career!

Coach,

The mistake was the lift that was called a slam.  I understand your point of view what you and I think is legal doesn’t really matter. The ref called it.  We experienced the same thing in the 3rd place match as I feel the refs  in TN call the girls matches stricter than the boys, still protecting them more than the guys. That’s just a fact we don’t have control of.  These girls are still fighting for equal treatment. I’ll reference a conversation I had  with a middle TN ref after the Cleveland dual match.  He was amazed at how well those girls were wrestling and was talking about how far girls wrestling has come.  You and I know the level these girls wrestle at on competitive teams, but it was obvious the ref who I had never seen at a girls tournament was just seeing what girls wrestling was capable of for the first time. I’m sure there are several refs that are that way.  
One way to fix the situation that occurred would be to stop the match make no call as to slam or no slam.  Allow the athlete to recover, allow concussion protocol to run its course if necessary. The wrestler is either wrestling or not.  At which point the ref makes the call.  No slam and wrestler has burned injury time.  If it was a slam the kid was on recovery time and retains all injury time.  
On a side note, Melanie is Lilli’s mom.  I’m dad and her coach.  I was also head coach of the boys when Jason Pennington lost to Crosby in the State Finals.  Video clearly showed two different takedowns in the last seconds of the match that were in bounds but called out, a point your former head coach doesn’t contest.  Crosby went on to win in sudden death.  This stuff happens and again I understand the hurt.  But the ref’s interpretation is the call and just like other situations in life we have to live with it.  These are the lessons we as coaches use to make our kids and our communities better places.  

Edited by 4545
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, notyourmomsmom said:

I just need some clarification. Is the Ty Bryant girl really a boy?

• Upvote 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:31 PM, notyourmomsmom said:

I personally find it embarrassing that the TSSAA can have a Title IX ceremony and then allow a “girl named Ty” to wrestle in a bracket with straight up girls.

Imagine being so absolutely stupid you're offended by the name of a girl. 

• Upvote 1