TSSAA places entire Lipscomb Academy athletic program on probation due to social media post, school to appeal

SportsTNFan

58 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

What you don't seem to understand is that the NFHS will only recognize one association per state so if you "take down" the TSSAA our state will not have a governing body and no sports will be played competitively.

Maybe that is what you want.  To " reorganize" anything would take much longer than you think. There is a lot more good about the association than bad. Unfortunately some folks just like to dwell on negatives.

Everybody has all the answers on their couch. 

Who would ever hire someone to operate a multimillion-dollar business when they have zero business experience?  That my friend is your answer.  The TSSAA is clueless and as time goes on, they are exposed more and more every day.

Edited by cbg

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Who would ever hire someone to operate a multimillion-dollar business when they have zero business experience?  That my friend is your answer.  The TSSAA is clueless and as time goes on, they are exposed more and more every day.

Seems to me your answer is you'd rather deprive kids (and their parents) of a great thing in their life just because your at odds with the TSSAA, while offering zero suggestions on how to change. Wanting fewer classes is not a reason to blow up the whole thing 

Most of those on the BOC are coaches or administrators. Schools don't operate on monopoly money. They have budgets to meet, money to raise, people they have to hire or fire just like every other business so they do have business experience.

Contrary to your belief, there are many state athletic organizations out there that are run far worse than the TSSAA 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, cbg said:

Lipscomb now has a difficult decision to make:  1. They can play nice, take the punishment and do nothing.  2. They can fight the TSSAA and do their very best to string this out in a legal battle much like BA did and force the TSSAA into insolvency.  IMO, the TSSAA and its Board of Control is nothing more than an inept group of educational bureaucrats that have only one goal and that is to protect their little communities.  I have said it in the past and I will continue to say that the TSSAA and the Board of Control do not have enough business experience to manage a church bake sale.  Who is their right mind would ever place someone in control of a multimillion-dollar business with absolutely zero business experience other than a government agency.  If I were in Lipscomb's position, I would file suit against the TSSAA Board of Control and the employees of the TSSAA.  Yes, I know that they would eventually hide behind the attorneys of the TSSAA, but I would do everything possible to force them into spending some of their personal monies.  When you force people to defend themself legally their attitudes change very quickly.  

Good grief that’s so dumb. I actually feel bad for you if you believe going to those lengths is the right course of action. 

34 minutes ago, ChuckDSanAntonio said:

I’m not sure I’m following the discussion. There was a violation according to the rule book however unintentional it might have been.  Are you saying the punishment doesn’t fit the crime?  Is there precedence we can look to?

that's a good question for which I don't have an answer.  I haven't been really vocal about this because it's just my opinion but here it is again FWIW.  the whole athletic department getting a punishment for one tweet from another part of the school seems a bit much.  the girls basketball team (who might have been the direct benefit of the tweet) gave up some practices along with other self imposed stuff which seems more appropriate.  clearly, i'm biased so it is what it is.  

in any case, I think it's over and won't amount to anything else.  i'm glad to move on.  : )

1 hour ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Maybe they would hire you? Why don't you apply?

You have all the answers.

that's funny right there.

14 minutes ago, theawesomebro said:

that's a good question for which I don't have an answer.  I haven't been really vocal about this because it's just my opinion but here it is again FWIW.  the whole athletic department getting a punishment for one tweet from another part of the school seems a bit much.  the girls basketball team (who might have been the direct benefit of the tweet) gave up some practices along with other self imposed stuff which seems more appropriate.  clearly, i'm biased so it is what it is.  

in any case, I think it's over and won't amount to anything else.  i'm glad to move on.  : )

that's funny right there.

Your assessment seems spot on.

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Maybe they would hire you? Why don't you apply?

You have all the answers.

I don't apply for jobs that are not open nor do I accept jobs that are not open!  It's not how people should do business.! With that being said I feel confident that I am overqualified for the position of Executive Director of the TSSAA but if offered the position I would consider the opportunity.  As an entrepreneur I could always continue to operate my various businesses and take on the task of running the TSSAA.  You can rest assured that when my CFO and I walked through the front door of the TSSAA office on Lebanon Pike in Hermitage, Tennessee everyone would know who was in charge and when we exited the back door very few if any employees would still be employed.  The first order of business would be for us to do a complete audit of the organization and take up all credit cards and company cars if any are floating around.

• Sad 2

17 minutes ago, cbg said:

I don't apply for jobs that are not open nor do I accept jobs that are not open!  It's not how people should do business.! With that being said I feel confident that I am overqualified for the position of Executive Director of the TSSAA but if offered the position I would consider the opportunity.  As an entrepreneur I could always continue to operate my various businesses and take on the task of running the TSSAA.  You can rest assured that when my CFO and I walked through the front door of the TSSAA office on Lebanon Pike in Hermitage, Tennessee everyone would know who was in charge and when we exited the back door very few if any employees would still be employed.  The first order of business would be for us to do a complete audit of the organization and take up all credit cards and company cars if any are floating around.

wow.  I bet it's a blast working for you.  

some of your posts sound like you don't actually know how business works so I am wondering if this is all a ruse.  what companies do you own and operate?

in my experience, running a business is not the same as running a non-profit and being an entrepreneur does not automatically qualify you to be an executive director.  I own and operate companies and have been on non-profit boards and the politics that go into running a large non-profit (answering to a board and trying to navigate the politics) are often not the same as owning a business.  I am a pretty successful business owner but would make a terrible executive director.  

10 hours ago, theawesomebro said:

wow.  I bet it's a blast working for you.  

some of your posts sound like you don't actually know how business works so I am wondering if this is all a ruse.  what companies do you own and operate?

in my experience, running a business is not the same as running a non-profit and being an entrepreneur does not automatically qualify you to be an executive director.  I own and operate companies and have been on non-profit boards and the politics that go into running a large non-profit (answering to a board and trying to navigate the politics) are often not the same as owning a business.  I am a pretty successful business owner but would make a terrible executive director.  

To add to this I doubt he would do very well simply because it is obvious he is only out for his own self-interest.  The key to running the TSSAA and any other non-profit is doing what is best for everyone as a whole. Most of the people complaining are mad because something was not in THEIR favor. A real leader has to take the whole into consideration. Not a common trait these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 10:06 PM, MichaelMyers76 said:

To add to this I doubt he would do very well simply because it is obvious he is only out for his own self-interest.  The key to running the TSSAA and any other non-profit is doing what is best for everyone as a whole. Most of the people complaining are mad because something was not in THEIR favor. A real leader has to take the whole into consideration. Not a common trait these days.

Solid post!