Shot Clock

Waker

Just now, VOLnWTN said:

It is on the Board of Control's agenda for tomorrow.  Someone has made enough noise about it to atleast get the talks going. 

BOARD OF CONTROL AGENDA March 1, 2023 Hermitage, Tennessee 1. Roll Call 2. Approval of Minutes of Last Meeting 3. Election of Officers 4. 2022 BlueCross Bowl Team Allotment Report 5. Financial Report of the 2023 State Bowling Tournament 6. Financial Report of the 2022 TSSAA Hall of Champions Games 7. Cross Country Postseason Qualifying Procedures 8. Basketball Shot Clock Discussion 9. Assigning Officer Fees 10. Clarkrange High School Appeals Disciplinary Action Clarkrange High School will be present to appeal the disciplinary action taken due to an unsportsmanlike incident that occurred during the boys’ basketball contest against Monterey High School on January 6, 2023. 11. Monterey High School Appeals Disciplinary Action Monterey High School will be present to appeal the disciplinary action taken due to an unsportsmanlike incident that occurred during the boys’ basketball contest against Clarkrange High School on January 6, 2023. 12. Discussion of Mandatory Disciplinary Action for Fan Behavior 13. 2023-2024 BlueCross Bowl Contract 14. 2023 Basketball Championships Update 15. NFHS Soccer and Football Uniform Rules 16. State Office Approval of Region Basketball Locations 17. Football Brackets The Board of Control needs to set the football playoff brackets for DI and DII for the next two years. 18. Clinch High School Appeals Classification

2 hours ago, VOLnWTN said:

It is on the Board of Control's agenda for tomorrow.  Someone has made enough noise about it to atleast get the talks going. 

Oh ok! Yea TSSAA doesn’t want to spend any money. They just collect it. If they agree to it, it will be at least 4-5 years imo

5 hours ago, Waker said:

IMO the next rule change needs to be a shot clock. It is not good basketball when a team holds the ball the whole 4th quarter. I understand looking for a good shot, but to stand at mid court and passing back and forth is not looking for a good shot.

Yes I agree, never thought I would be for it or that we needed it but I think it is time.

I went back and watched the first half between Trinity Christian and Gibson County girls that happened in early December to see if there would be any shot clock violations if the players to play with the current NCAA rules (:30 seconds in full length, :20 seconds if there would be a foul (inside :20 second mark), kick ball, or an offensive rebound). In that first half, there would be 1 shot clock violation (Gibson County held the ball for nearly 1 minute late in the second quarter). Other than that one possession, there were lots of shots being released with 5-10 seconds to spare left on the imaginary shot clock (thank you for TCA for broadcasting the game that showed the scoreboard and the game clock).

The pace was great, lots of field goal attempts, and that resulted in 74 points combined in the first half between the two teams. Yes, it does help when there are good players playing for both teams. Point of what I'm trying to say, I don't think adding a shot clock would effect a lot of teams in terms of pace. If it were to effect some teams, then they need to make an adjustment to increase their pace of play. Teams have 10 seconds to get it across half court, so I do understand if TSSAA were to follow current NCAA rules and put :20 seconds on an offensive rebound.

I may go travel an hour plus to watch a region championship between Westview and Gibson County, and I may take a sick day off work and travel 2 and a half hours to watch 4-5 games in Murfreesboro to see the state tournament. As a fan, I do not want to see a team stall. Period. I simply don't care for any strategic reasons.

TSSAA let school officials/personnel handle the play clock for the regular season during the football season. I don't really see an issue if they let school officials/personnel handle it during the regular season in basketball. If the game officials are noticing a trend that a school personnel is favoring their team with the shot clock, then issue a warning. If it were to happen again, then issue a one shot technical foul for the other team. A small penalty against the home team that may be cheating in a way regarding the shot clock. 

Regarding to the price for the installation of a shot clock and getting someone to run is bogus. If a high school just installed a turf field or LED lights for their football stadium and a new indoor practice facility, then trust me, they can afford a shot clock. Add $0.50 cents to the popcorn and coke, and that'll offset the "game fee" for someone to run the shot clock. It's not that hard to think about.

7 hours ago, Waker said:

IMO the next rule change needs to be a shot clock. It is not good basketball when a team holds the ball the whole 4th quarter. I understand looking for a good shot, but to stand at mid court and passing back and forth is not looking for a good shot.

Your team would probably would have done the same thing if they were in Gibson County’s position .. which is who I assume you referring to. No dog in the fight… but IMO they won because they were the more poised team throughout 4 qtrs… never panicked, even when behind. 

9 hours ago, westtn12 said:

Your team would probably would have done the same thing if they were in Gibson County’s position .. which is who I assume you referring to. No dog in the fight… but IMO they won because they were the more poised team throughout 4 qtrs… never panicked, even when behind. 

I wasn’t referring to any game in particular. I’ve seen it several times this season. Last season Huntingdon boys slowed it down so much, I wanted a shot clock to make us shoot. It was the hardest basketball to watch game in and game out. 

I am 100% for a shot clock. I feel like "most"  teams would not be affected by a :30 shot clock outside of holding the ball at the end of the game. I am almost positive that even though the BOC is discussing this today that we will not get a shot clock within the next 5 years. Most schools have a hard enough time getting people to keep the clock, books, score board, etc...