Eye Black

BelmontRebel

6 hours ago, BelmontRebel said:

Point of Emphasis this year concerning eye black:  There are existing sportsmanship rules available to mitigate any use of eye black (in any version) in an inappropriate or unfavorable way.  So for the most part keep it straight across under the eye and not smeared down the cheek.  

You're delusional if you think that's going to get enforced by the umpires. 

Of all the trivial things to care about…

Let’s make something that doesn’t provide a competitive advantage, isn’t intimidating, distracting or offensive a point of emphasis. It’s a black smudge. 

I can hear this in an MLB game now. Bryce, I know you are a 2 time MVP, but your eye place is unfavorable. That eye black is smeared down your cheek! It’s on your cheek! You classless bum. Don’t you respect the game? You’re outta here!!!

21 hours ago, MSUBac2001 said:

Of all the trivial things to care about…

Let’s make something that doesn’t provide a competitive advantage, isn’t intimidating, distracting or offensive a point of emphasis. It’s a black smudge. 

I can hear this in an MLB game now. Bryce, I know you are a 2 time MVP, but your eye place is unfavorable. That eye black is smeared down your cheek! It’s on your cheek! You classless bum. Don’t you respect the game? You’re outta here!!!

And your first part is why I don't think many umpires will enforce the rule. I know in the past players aren't supposed to wear jewelry. However, high school was the only age group that didn't let players wear any jewelry. The players could wear it when they were kids, they can wear it in college and pros, but not in high school? Why is that? And no, "safety" is not an answer to that question, because the players wore jewelry before they played high school ball.

On 3/1/2023 at 9:03 AM, BelmontRebel said:

Point of Emphasis this year concerning eye black:  There are existing sportsmanship rules available to mitigate any use of eye black (in any version) in an inappropriate or unfavorable way.  So for the most part keep it straight across under the eye and not smeared down the cheek.  

Somebody has waaaaay too much time on their hands if a "point of emphasis" in HS baseball is now going to be if you wear eye black properly.  Really??  Somebody trying to keep their job relevant maybe?  Either way, dumb and pointless idea. 

• Upvote 1

This has been a point of emphasis in football long before now. It all started with Tebow messages on the eye black strips. Then the "war paint" face became the P. O. E. It's a constant battle for football officials. NFHS says one swipe below each eye. And wearing jewelry has always been a no-no. It's not hard to handle just make them wipe it off during pregame. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 6:04 PM, BreadTruck28 said:

We had it enforced on us yesterday for the first time. Gene M. had said you could have a normal line or cross at the TBCA conference this year, however yesterday the umpires said crosses were not allowed…

I have been told two things by two sets of umpires.  One said only a one line under the eye/no vertical lines (cross) and at another game the umpires said can have a cross.  Goodness..........its eye black

On another note: Pitcher hasas black gove with grey lacing.  All lacing is grey.  Pitched entire 2022 season without a single word.  Goes out game one and glove has to go.  Was told that glove cannot be white/grey.  A logo or wording can be white/grey because that is not the glove.  Where is the Tylonol ?