Border Wars II: Team TN vs. Team GA

TNUSAWrestling

20 minutes ago, Biffmar4 said:

Curious how this is an excuse?  Also, having girls wrestling ride the coattails of boys wrestling seems like an old proposition. When you put your ppv program together, just have girls. If it’s profitable, you will do it and prosper and your girls will get the attention you want for them. Also, this wasn’t “the state of TN” putting this together, this was a group of entrepreneurs, their show, their call. Glad they didn’t mix another sport in with it or I would have put the PA finals on instead.  

Just to clarify one thing, this isn’t a group of entrepreneurs running this event, this event was hosted by TNUSA which is completely non-profit.  All of the money raised last night  from PPV, concessions, gate, etc goes to the general fund which helps fund Fargo for Tennessee both boys and girls. They tried really hard to add girls this year but as Bosken posted they just weren’t able to put it all together.  This is only the second year of the event and it was a lot bigger this year.  Expect that it will keep growing and getting bigger.  

• Upvote 1

Cougar, when you heard that border wars was going to happen last year, what did you do?  Did you ask if it was going to happen again this year so you could get involved?  When you saw it happening again this year, did you ask the event planners how you could help (fundraising)  or just sit on the sidelines and wait until the event was over to speak up?  There’s some questions I doubt you’ll answer. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, durdon said:

Just to clarify one thing, this isn’t a group of entrepreneurs running this event, this event was hosted by TNUSA which is completely non-profit.  All of the money raised last night  from PPV, concessions, gate, etc goes to the general fund which helps fund Fargo for Tennessee both boys and girls. They tried really hard to add girls this year but as Bosken posted they just weren’t able to put it all together.  This is only the second year of the event and it was a lot bigger this year.  Expect that it will keep growing and getting bigger.  

Appreciate the insight and looks like Cougar will help fundraise next year. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, durdon said:

Again where are these events published for helping set up or fundraise for. I’ll be glad to help fund raise if they are in fact using the fund raiser to add the girls. 

46 minutes ago, Biffmar4 said:

“That’s not an answer!” Lol

LOL!!! 

In all seriousness, Cougar's head and heart are in the right place. Unfortunately, I think it boils down to the fact that the general masses are not as interested in women's wrestling right now as they are compared to men's. That is why with this event, for example, you had a donor willing to fund the gear for the boys, but not the girls. Simply put, that is where we are right now. 

That is a theme with all sports at all levels. Take the NBA v. the WNBA. If you offer a random person courtside seats to watch the Lakers play the Celtics or the LA Aces v. the Chicago Sky, I don't know many people that wouldn't pick the NBA game. Why? The level of play is so much higher watching Lebron James than it is at a WNBA game. These are just facts.

Can women's wrestling still grow and become popular in Tennessee? Of course, and I think it will! While the general UFC fan is still more interested in watching two men battle it out in the octagon, the emergence of individual stars and rivalries  like Rousey v. Tate/Holm, Shevchenko, Nunes, etc. have helped it grow into the mainstream. You just have to give it time. Women's wrestling in Tennessee is still a very new concept to most. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cowcatcherII said:

LOL!!! 

In all seriousness, Cougar's head and heart are in the right place. Unfortunately, I think it boils down to the fact that the general masses are not as interested in women's wrestling right now as they are compared to men's. That is why with this event, for example, you had a donor willing to fund the gear for the boys, but not the girls. Simply put, that is where we are right now. 

That is a theme with all sports at all levels. Take the NBA v. the WNBA. If you offer a random person courtside seats to watch the Lakers play the Celtics or the LA Aces v. the Chicago Sky, I don't know many people that wouldn't pick the NBA game. Why? The level of play is so much higher watching Lebron James than it is at a WNBA game. These are just facts.

Can women's wrestling still grow and become popular in Tennessee? Of course, and I think it will! While the general UFC fan is still more interested in watching two men battle it out in the octagon, the emergence of individual stars and rivalries  like Rousey v. Tate/Holm, Shevchenko, Nunes, etc. have helped it grow into the mainstream. You just have to give it time. Women's wrestling in Tennessee is still a very new concept to most. 

I’m all for the growth and success of women wrestling. I just don’t enjoy watching it. Nothing against the sport. I actually like watching women UFC fighters.  Can’t dispute the fact that girls wrestling is the fastest growing sport in the country.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cougars130 said:

I’ll drive to Cleveland to work a shift at the firework tent if that means supporting the girls in TN as a Whole. 

That firework stand was ran by Cleveland Wrestlers. What’s that have to do with anything?  I am glad you see that we are out busting our butts to give our program the best opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, JBoskenUSAW said:

That firework stand was ran by Cleveland Wrestlers. What’s that have to do with anything?  I am glad you see that we are out busting our butts to give our program the best opportunities.

I was just giving an example of what I would be willing to do to help fundraise as I don’t live in Cleveland I’m willing to help bust my butt to help out. 

as in working together to make events like this happen for the girls across TN.

Edited by cougars130
  • Upvote 1

On 3/12/2023 at 12:03 AM, cougars130 said:

There was 1 girls match at WN1 450+ girls in the state wrestled in region tournaments alone and 1 girls match satisfies you but me not doing ranking for state did not satisfy you so you asked why I would treat them differently then the boys..

yet you not asking the same question when it actually comes down to treating them differently then the boys.. 

I am not treating them differently, but I am not a coach. Have you reached out to the TNUSA Board to offer help? Have you reached out to Josh B. To offer help? Have you done anything at all other than getting on Coach T and criticizing? Unfortunately what you are wanting to see requires work and commitments. Why don’t you get off your #### and help. You could call Mike Hatcher or Josh B. And I am sure they would be blown away if you could help them. Right now Josh B. Is working his #### off to get teams put together 14U - Juniors! All I see you do is complain, how about helping with the change you are requesting. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, cougars130 said:

This is a response to look for and there are people wanting to help make these events happen I’m one of them but seems like only asking a few people makes it difficult for the people who want to help know it’s being wanted in the first place. 

Cougar, do you want a girls event? Put Tennessee versus Georgia on in the same location I have somebody committed to help fund it. You have talked all this trash, now let’s see where your work ethic and your commitment is?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JBoskenUSAW said:

TNUSAW definitely wanted to add girls.

They reached out, and myself and Panone of GA were trying to make it happen.

Problem is there was a donation to fund the boys singlets and event apparel given to the boys.

We didn’t have that for the girls, so it was either wrestle the event with girls and make them pay….or not give the girls any gear. Neither were a good idea to myself or Panone.

With girls wrestling going, hopefully people will help find these events financially in the future. 

Plan is to have this by next year and do it right. 

People DO care about girls wrestling in TN…. actually a lot of people. We just need to be proactive and get people involved who just want to help, in any way needed.

Nice. Nobody knows what happens behind the scenes. It is nice to know we at least tried. Would love to help work on trying to try to find funding for the girls for future events. 

• Upvote 1