TSSAA how blind is your blind draw lol. I seen a very potential championship games in the 1st round. What are y’all’s thoughts?

HawkGuy06

35 minutes ago, maddams said:

There’s really no good way to do it other than blind draw. State polls are voted on by high school sports writers who really only see teams in their area all season. 
TSSAA could save themselves a lot of grief by live streaming the draw. There’s enough technology available to make that easy

Yea I get it! The polls are nothing more than a bunch of fat guys or gals sitting around & vote on a sport they nothing about! Most of the better teams don’t get the recognition because they don’t have a good newspaper outlet. 

49 minutes ago, pioneer42 said:

AP poll would be best. 

Disagree. 
AP poll voters are local sports writers. Most of these guys do a great job in their local market but have no way of knowing what teams in other areas look like. It’s not like college where games are televised. 
Most weeks the AP poll has 10-15 voters statewide. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pioneer42 said:

AP poll would be best. 

Absolutely disagree.  First off, you have less than 20 AP voters state wide. They might do a good job ranking teams in their area but there is no way they have a good handle state wide. Secondly, several voters work for Gannett owned papers. That organization is hanging on by a thread. Thirdly, many times I have seen AP voters  do the homer thing and rank the team(s) they cover higher even if they don't deserve it. On a national level, AP is still viable for ranking at the college level. Not so much at the state level. TSSAA needs to establish a power ranking system with clear guidelines and seed the state tournament.  They should do this or have a blind draw that is broadcast state wide like many states do. 

1 minute ago, ReitzFan said:

Absolutely disagree.  First off, you have less than 20 AP voters state wide. They might do a good job ranking teams in their area but there is no way they have a good handle state wide. Secondly, several voters work for Gannett owned papers. That organization is hanging on by a thread. Thirdly, many times I have seen AP voters  do the homer thing and rank the team(s) they cover higher even if they don't deserve it. On a national level, AP is still viable for ranking at the college level. Not so much at the state level. TSSAA needs to establish a power ranking system with clear guidelines and seed the state tournament.  They should do this or have a blind draw that is broadcast state wide like many states do. 

I agree with your post. I was basing it on what polls we have available now. 

15 minutes ago, TtownReject said:

TSSAA draws by region and its set ahead of time. This year in AAAA, 1v8, 6v7, 2v3 & 4v5. Shocked they dont use analytics. TSSAA can hire that out of free.

I always figured the football playoffs would be better if they used an analytics/computer ranking system determining a team's success. Similar to the Z-plan, but teams won't get the benefit of beating bad teams in football, and bad teams won't get punished for losing to a great team, may even get credit for hanging in that game.

There is a better way.  Rotate the substate winners every year.  No west vs west, east vs East or middle vs Middle.  Yes sometimes it will mean that the two best teams play each other in the first round but at least you will know who you might play before your substate game   Preparation time currently for first round is limited 

1 hour ago, maddams said:

Disagree. 
AP poll voters are local sports writers. Most of these guys do a great job in their local market but have no way of knowing what teams in other areas look like. It’s not like college where games are televised. 
Most weeks the AP poll has 10-15 voters statewide. 

Of the polls now that is the only one I see. I personally liked the visible blind draw.