Cleveland at Blackman-what happened

Indian

According to the report with the TSSAA The ref said, "After the game was over and they were headed to the locker room, (a player) met at him at half court and called me an (expletive).  So he issued him his second technical foul. (Another player) then said, 'The game is over, it don't matter, (expletive)!' He was issued a flagrant technical foul. (Tucker) then said something with a gesture, he was issued a direct technical foul (indirect tech charged to the bench during the game). (A third player) said, 'You're a (expletive)' He was issued a flagrant tech foul. The report mentions the Coach three players and a fan were ejected. Not the way to end a season and a bad look for the program. 

1 minute ago, Indian said:

You can’t melt down like that regardless but anything set them off in particular? 

They were hit with three technicals during the game.... Coach goy one for not staying inside the box, 2 player each got called with one. I know the Blackman coach got one in a regional game week before for not staying in the box. Either way you have to maintain decorum and as a coach you can't let your players act like that no matter how mad... much less participate in that type of behavior. 

Tech 1: On #11 (probably deserved)

Tech 2: On the Cleveland manager who has special needs (this set everyone off is my guess)

Tech 3: Delay of game for putting the ball down. Initially thought it was on #11, but it was changed.

Tech 4-7: After the game

The report isn't accurate at all. The player who said something to the ref after the game (according to the report) was #5. The tech was his first, but the report says it was his second which is wrong. The Cleveland coach saw that and waved the ref off while going through the handshake line, which resulted in a tech. Then they started handing techs out like Ellen. Fans approaching the scorers' table, which was accurate, warranted the ejection. No issue with that. 

Nobody at Cleveland is wishing any ill will to Blackman (go win state for all we care), but 6 of the 7 techs came from the same ref, all in the second half of what had been a competitive game. Things spiraled after the ref on the team manager, who is beloved by everyone and has never once said a word to the ref. He was literally telling the team to hurry up and get back on the court. 

I'm guessing at least a couple of those will be rescinded. End of the game is pretty clear on video. 

Good luck to Blackman.

Edited by nope
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, nope said:

Tech 1: On #11 (probably deserved)

Tech 2: On the Cleveland manager who has special needs (this set everyone off is my guess)

Tech 3: Delay of game for putting the ball down. Initially thought it was on #11, but it was changed.

Tech 4-7: After the game

The report isn't accurate at all. The player who said something to the ref after the game (according to the report) was #5. The tech was his first, but the report says it was his second which is wrong. The Cleveland coach saw that and waved the ref off while going through the handshake line, which resulted in a tech. Then they started handing techs out like Ellen. Fans approaching the scorers' table, which was accurate, warranted the ejection. No issue with that. 

Nobody at Cleveland is wishing any ill will to Blackman (go win state for all we care), but 6 of the 7 techs came from the same ref, all in the second half of what had been a competitive game. Things spiraled after the ref on the team manager, who is beloved by everyone and has never once said a word to the ref. He was literally telling the team to hurry up and get back on the court. 

I'm guessing at least a couple of those will be rescinded. End of the game is pretty clear on video. 

Good luck to Blackman.

I don't think Blackman had anything to do with the technicals or the article, but without dispute what was said to the ref by the players , albeit 1st 2nd or 3rd technical should not be excused. We are in a society where we are making excuses for this behavior.  If this happened when my kids (just a few years older) played ball, I would have had my belt off whoopin his backside.in front of God and everyone 

We all know that good refs are hard find - almost impossible. The “let me show you who is boss” started when the refs allowed the ball to be entered at 5:16 in the 3rd quarter. The band was playing, cheerleaders doing thier thing, and the ball was on the Blackman end of the floor. Refs never gave Cleveland the chance to get on the court or get into a defensive set.  What’s the rush at this point in the post season?  No one can hear if the ref even warned CHS to get on the court. When the ball was entered, the Blackman kid walked as he went to score but it wasn’t called.  The “let me show you who is boss” continued the next possession CHS took a timeout to gather themselves and hit the manager for another T.  

There are numerous parts of above accounts that are In accurate. Bottom line - Blackman won. They get to move on. The boys in blue were not given the same officiated game that Blackman was given.  It’s sad that the outcome of the game was in the hands of 2 referees.  

The Blue Raider fan base would appreciate if the TSSAA would watch the film. No doubt you’ll see the same biased reffed game we all saw last night. 

With all that being said, Blackman was a gracious host and I wish them all the best!  

5 hours ago, Blaze45 said:

I don't think Blackman had anything to do with the technicals or the article, but without dispute what was said to the ref by the players , albeit 1st 2nd or 3rd technical should not be excused. We are in a society where we are making excuses for this behavior.  If this happened when my kids (just a few years older) played ball, I would have had my belt off whoopin his backside.in front of God and everyone 

Didn't see the game and have no horse in the race but an official  that calls six technical fouls in a substate game, three after the horn blows is officiating for the wrong reasons.  Horn blows you sprint off the court...emotions are raw...not condoning bad player behavior but at game's end, what are your really accomplishing other than drawing attention to yourself... and thanks for the parenting and program management advice Blaze.  

15 minutes ago, Ericblair said:

Didn't see the game and have no horse in the race but an official  that calls six technical fouls in a substate game, three after the horn blows is officiating for the wrong reasons.  Horn blows you sprint off the court...emotions are raw...not condoning bad player behavior but at game's end, what are your really accomplishing other than drawing attention to yourself... and thanks for the parenting and program management advice Blaze.  

Let me get this straight, based off your comment you are feeling as if maybe the right thing to do is hand out some capri-suns and give them all cookies and of course it has to be the refs. Everyone on here knows the refs are crooked, looking to be insulted, harassed and hopefully take out their aggressions on a teenage kid all for the sake of a little more than gas money.  Let me help you out here. I watched the game, I saw the kids running their mouth to the ref s during the game.  I wasn't giving parenting advice or program management advice. It is called respect. Never ever is it ok for a teenager to talk to a ref, a teacher, a store clerk or a janitor like what happened. The minute you said "I am not condoning bad player behavior but...."  you lost. The flaw with your theory is the players approached the ref. not the other way around. He didn't initiate the conversation they did.  

• Like 1

Don't recall mentioning capri suns or cookies and I never mentioned refs being crooked as I don't believe they are.  They have tough jobs and I would not want it.  And as an educator, I 100% agree that respect is paramount.

Based on the account above, all but one the technicals was assessed by the same ref. 4 of which occurred after the game was over and one on a special needs student, which just seems odd. And while we are offering observations about programs and player behavior, coaching priorities, and whatever, its worth noting that on Cleveland's bench WAS as special needs student....(anyone ever seen Radio) that was t-ed up.

Stopping to hand out technicals after a game is over only has the potential to inflame an already bad situation as what happened here. It is not time for a teaching moment.   Which is why you will see in close games (college, pros, high school) the refs run off the floor so as not to either hear (or ignore) or give chance for uncharacter like emotions to take over.  That did not seem to happen here and only served to make a bad situation worse.

Edited by Ericblair

2 hours ago, Ericblair said:

Don't recall mentioning capri suns or cookies and I never mentioned refs being crooked as I don't believe they are.  They have tough jobs and I would not want it.  And as an educator, I 100% agree that respect is paramount.

Based on the account above, all but one the technicals was assessed by the same ref. 4 of which occurred after the game was over and one on a special needs student, which just seems odd. And while we are offering observations about programs and player behavior, coaching priorities, and whatever, its worth noting that on Cleveland's bench WAS as special needs student....(anyone ever seen Radio) that was t-ed up.

Stopping to hand out technicals after a game is over only has the potential to inflame an already bad situation as what happened here. It is not time for a teaching moment.   Which is why you will see in close games (college, pros, high school) the refs run off the floor so as not to either hear (or ignore) or give chance for uncharacter like emotions to take over.  That did not seem to happen here and only served to make a bad situation worse.

First and foremost as an educator I have the highest respect and regard for you. I come from a family with a long line of educators. My great great grandmother was the first woman in the state of Texas to get a teaching certificate. That said the ref that T-ed up folks post game while not maybe needed is something that goes to the core of the problem. He was at Half court when the players came after him to make his lewd comments. I can imagine you would not have ever acted out that way in your youth. I get the players were mad, disappointed, upset and a whole range of emotions.  As far as the special needs  kid being T-ed up in a moment when you are watching  the players, the coaches, the bench. is it possible the ref did not note he was special needs immediately. I never seen a foul or technical waived off.  I agree you don't wanna hand out a technical to someone in that position. The other two were legitimate technical fouls though.

Finally the reason as a ref you hand those technical fouls out post game, is because it possibly impacts the future games. Should anything of developed that Blackman was found to have had a violation that would make them ineligible  and Cleveland was back in, those technical fouls now matter, because they lead to ejection which would make those players ineligible. Barring that, it means they now become ineligible for the first games of next season should they have eligibility left to play. I think you would agree if a student said go F yourself or you are "B word" when leaving your classroom on a Friday, you would find them in school that day or on Monday and explain the repercussions of their actions. Not to get even but help them understand the consequences of acting in an inappropriate manner. And most of all you would not want that to be the precedent that as long as class is over you can behave or act in any fashion and not get in trouble for it 

• Like 1