AAAA State Tournament

CU06

7 hours ago, captnoname said:

Goodpasture is a good basketball team! They recruit well and like it or not Adam Sonn can coach with ANYONE in the state. 

Not a Sonn fan but that guy deserves props for what he has done at Goodpasture.

Goodpasture is a great team. Coach Sonn is a fantastic coach and has full control of his team. I believe they will win 3 or more state titles over the next 5 years. They have the best sophomore in the state along with an ELITE 7th grader. 
Coach Keary (NYBA) deserves the credit for their recruiting success. 

#Savage 

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 11:10 AM, 2minutedrill said:

Used to look forward to the AAA, now AAAA tournament.  So weak now.  

I agree TN public school ball is weak atm anybody who watches a big variety knows this. (Could be a cycle maybe not) Whether it be players going out of state for prep or the private side. This state really didn't need 4A it watered the comp down big time. Oh well the games moves on. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SavageSpeaks said:

Goodpasture is a great team. Coach Sonn is a fantastic coach and has full control of his team. I believe they will win 3 or more state titles over the next 5 years. They have the best sophomore in the state along with an ELITE 7th grader. 
Coach Keary (NYBA) deserves the credit for their recruiting success. 

#Savage 

heck of a recruiter and retainer as seen by his roster. Ive watched him 4 times all against inferior opponents per usual and he's 2-2 so hard to judge pure coaching at that level because the talent is so lopsided for him 99% of the time. He’s in a sweet spot where he gets great players at a small school and has to win 2 real games to get a ship every year. Still impressive.

16 minutes ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

heck of a recruiter and retainer as seen by his roster. Ive watched him 4 times all against inferior opponents per usual and he's 2-2 so hard to judge pure coaching at that level because the talent is so lopsided for him 99% of the time. He’s in a sweet spot where he gets great players at a small school and has to win 2 real games to get a ship every year. Still impressive.

Don't know what games you watched, but this season they lost to Warren Central out of Kentucky who is probably the best team in Ky, and Clarksville Academy - with Eddie Ricks who might be Mr. Basketball tonight.  

This tells you how weak 4A basketball is....half of the posts are about Goodpasture.  

Edited by 2minutedrill

1 minute ago, 2minutedrill said:

Don't know what games you watched, but this season they lost to Warren Central out of Kentucky, and Clarksville Academy - with Eddie Ricks who might be Mr. Basketball tonight.  

This tells you how weak 4A basketball is....half of the posts are about Goodpasture.  

See earlier post. I think 4 is down blah blah etc and GP is very good? Just giving you my view of how and why they are good.

1 minute ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

See earlier post. I think 4 is down blah blah etc and GP is very good? Just giving you my view of how and why they are good.

No worries....they could have been better.  1 kid left for Lipscomb, and 1 for CPA.  Tough to manage all the momma and daddy ballers. 

Back to 4AAAA - Who you guys got?  I'm taking HIllsboro or Dobyns Bennett.........

On 3/9/2023 at 9:06 AM, TribalEmpire said:

I honestly wished that all states were like Kentucky and only had one state champion for all sports except football.  I mean how fun would it have been to see a potential D-B/Greeneville game for all the marbles last year since they split the regular season meetings...

I agree with an earlier post that adding a fourth class has kind of weakened the field for all four classes.

That being said, hoping the Indians can go down to the Glass House and come back to KPT with back to back gold balls.  Won't be able to see the run this year though as I am leaving on a cruise ship next week.

I love the no class state tourney in Kentucky. Would love to see it in TN but gotta reward as many ppl as possible at the end of the year to keep em happy so would never happen.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

I love the no class state tourney in Kentucky. Would love to see it in TN but gotta reward as many ppl as possible at the end of the year to keep em happy so would never happen.

The KY method would interesting but I think people in this state would quickly sour on the small rural communities never getting close to a championship. 
3 public West Tennessee girls teams  won state championships last week. Under the KY rules I think only one of them would have even made it to the tournament. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 2minutedrill said:

No worries....they could have been better.  1 kid left for Lipscomb, and 1 for CPA.  Tough to manage all the momma and daddy ballers. 

Back to 4AAAA - Who you guys got?  I'm taking HIllsboro or Dobyns Bennett.........

Changing my selection to Memphis East based on the DUI charge if Gillespie can't play.

23 minutes ago, 2minutedrill said:

Changing my selection to Memphis East based on the DUI charge if Gillespie can't play.

Yeah, we'll be heavy underdogs now with Gillespie out.  We have players who can step in and assume that role, but they're both very young and may not be ready for this big of a stage yet.