Ben Smith

CHSBLUE

23 minutes ago, cbg said:

The problems with the McCallie wrestling team appear to be with the administration not being willing to provide wrestlers with 100% of the financial aid that they qualified for.  If tuition is 30K and a family qualifies for 50% that would be 15K.  However, if the school only provides wrestling families with 50% that would be 7500.00 so the total bill for the family would be $22,500.00 instead of $15,000.00. That extra $7500.00 might as well be 75 million to most families as they would struggle to pay the 15k.  Not defending McCallie but I have had wrestling families from McCallie that were paying 100% of the tuition tell me that the administration at McCallie wanted to focus on LAX, Soccer, Swimming and Track & Field athletes because the athletes in those sports typically don’t need as much financial aid. What everyone must understand is that a school only has X number of dollars that they can allocate to financial aid.  I have also been told that the administration at MBA does not provide financial aid to athletes that just wrestle.  The good wrestlers at MBA are paying the full tuition or they also participate in football.  To me the sad thing is that several of the D2 schools are doing absolutely nothing to develop the talent that is already in the school.  When a successful team does not even have a middle school team and just goes out and recruits kids to fill certain weight classifications something is wrong.  What ever happened to the philosophy that you work to help your own before you seek help from the outside?

MBA, FR and CB do a great job developing their own talent. That’s obvious bc they all have feeder programs represented in the youth state tournament. Bottom line is Baylor and McCallie would rather recruit kids to build a team, which is fine. But they aren’t better coaches than any of the other 3 programs. Past credentials are 100% irrelevant when it comes to ability to coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rasslinking said:

MBA, FR and CB do a great job developing their own talent. That’s obvious bc they all have feeder programs represented in the youth state tournament. Bottom line is Baylor and McCallie would rather recruit kids to build a team, which is fine. But they aren’t better coaches than any of the other 3 programs. Past credentials are 100% irrelevant when it comes to ability to coach. 

Spot on. Quite frankly, I am surprised that McCallie has still employed Yost. His results have been abysmal. To say McCallie has the best staff in the state like durdon claims is just ludicrous. I get that he is loyal to the coaches that trained his son, and I respect that, but the McCallie program has become a joke in D2 under Yost's leadership. From what I have seen, there seems to be a lack of engagement between he and his wrestlers. Rarely does he even coach his wrestlers at tournaments. I still see Newman, Connell, and the other muscular guy coaching most matches. Yost films which I find extremely odd from a head coach. I don't know if it's a lack of interest or what, but McCallie honestly deserves better when you're paying $30-60k to go to school there.

36 minutes ago, cowcatcherII said:

Spot on. Quite frankly, I am surprised that McCallie has still employed Yost. His results have been abysmal. To say McCallie has the best staff in the state like durdon claims is just ludicrous. I get that he is loyal to the coaches that trained his son, and I respect that, but the McCallie program has become a joke in D2 under Yost's leadership. From what I have seen, there seems to be a lack of engagement between he and his wrestlers. Rarely does he even coach his wrestlers at tournaments. I still see Newman, Connell, and the other muscular guy coaching most matches. Yost films which I find extremely odd from a head coach. I don't know if it's a lack of interest or what, but McCallie honestly deserves better when you're paying $30-60k to go to school there.

I absolutely love Yost and have since we went to school together, but he should have stayed with Cleveland as moving over to McCallie was a really bad decision when it comes down to winning actual state titles and your kids doing so also. As far as costs durdon,  it shows McCallie is 64k for domestic boarding students and 33 for day students, Baylor is 58 for domestic boarding and 29 for day. So when talking about that large amount of money they really are very close and really I see no reason in paying the extra bit to go to McCallie vs Baylor, both very highly thought of schools, their academic rankings are very close and heck at least Baylor has ladies going there and not having to take classes with GPS girls just to see a female. VP of my company talked to me a few years ago, his dad went to McCallie, he went to McCallie and his oldest went to McCallie, the youngest he pulled out and sent to Baylor because he hated what McCallie was becoming(his son was a D1 athlete and went to college on a full ride). Said he would never send another kid to McCallie or even think of helping a grandkid go either. This coming from a guy that didnt get a cent of financial aid to either school but was a long line of McCallie men. Said many kids that should have gotten financial aid and qualified but didnt get any because it wasnt what the school thought they should put their money towards. Pretty sad for a school with 136 million in endowment. But hey, at least they sold their soul for some football lol.

8 minutes ago, cobrakid8 said:

I absolutely love Yost and have since we went to school together, but he should have stayed with Cleveland as moving over to McCallie was a really bad decision when it comes down to winning actual state titles and your kids doing so also. As far as costs durdon,  it shows McCallie is 64k for domestic boarding students and 33 for day students, Baylor is 58 for domestic boarding and 29 for day. So when talking about that large amount of money they really are very close and really I see no reason in paying the extra bit to go to McCallie vs Baylor, both very highly thought of schools, their academic rankings are very close and heck at least Baylor has ladies going there and not having to take classes with GPS girls just to see a female. VP of my company talked to me a few years ago, his dad went to McCallie, he went to McCallie and his oldest went to McCallie, the youngest he pulled out and sent to Baylor because he hated what McCallie was becoming(his son was a D1 athlete and went to college on a full ride). Said he would never send another kid to McCallie or even think of helping a grandkid go either. This coming from a guy that didnt get a cent of financial aid to either school but was a long line of McCallie men. Said many kids that should have gotten financial aid and qualified but didnt get any because it wasnt what the school thought they should put their money towards. Pretty sad for a school with 136 million in endowment. But hey, at least they sold their soul for some football lol.

Have you seen how much Cleveland and Knox travel in the off season….. no way Yost would have lasted. He’s probably in the best situation for him. Just needs to work harder recruiting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oceansize42 said:

What exactly did he say McCallie is becoming?  I have a close relative (non financial aid) attending HS there now and he loves it.  Yes he plays sports. 

kind of what Scott did say with them putting an emphasis on pretty much football to the point they were letting kids in that had no business there academically and they were getting them through school even though they couldnt handle the work. And yes his sons both were football players and pretty dang good ones at that.

2 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

Have you seen how much Cleveland and Knox travel in the off season….. no way Yost would have lasted. He’s probably in the best situation for him. Just needs to work harder recruiting.

You don't know that, only Yost does and I think Yost is a better coach truthfully, now he went to McCallie because he was supposedly going to be given the keys to do whatever was needed to get them back to the top and good money, I think the rug was kind of pulled out from under him with a new administration. I kind of wished he would go ahead and leave and let them have what they have and him go back to a public school, heck he led Cleveland to 3 state titles so lets not pretend Knox did that, the foundation was well set before he ever came along and right now it would truthfully take an IDIOT in charge to ruin what they have built there.

I stand behind my previous statement that if you turn the program over to Ethan Reeve you will see immediate results.  That is if the kids that are already at McCallie are not afraid of hard work.  I can guarantee everyone that if Ethan Reeve was the head coach those kids would become workaholics, or they would find something else to do.  Don't forget that Ethan took a skinny kid in David Levitt and made him into a monster that no one wanted to wrestle.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rasslinking said:

How many kids on FR and CB's teams went to FR middle school and CB middle school? 

52 minutes ago, BobCorker said:

How many kids on FR and CB's teams went to FR middle school and CB middle school? 

Christian Brothers High School and Father Ryan do not have middle schools.  They both have club teams (Wave Club & Nashville Catholic) that feed kids into their wrestling programs.  Both of those clubs are open to everyone that want to attend.  The Catholic schools are light years behind the prep schools in Tennessee due to not having a middle school on the high school campus.  

Edited by cbg

26 minutes ago, cbg said:

Christian Brothers High School and Father Ryan do not have middle schools.  They both have club teams (Wave Club & Nashville Catholic) that feed kids into their wrestling programs.  Both of those clubs are open to everyone that want to attend.  The Catholic schools are light years behind the prep schools in Tennessee due to not having a middle school on the high school campus.  

I believe Senator Corker asked a rhetorical question. Coach Reeves is a tremendous coach. More important he is a positive mind shifter.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2023 at 9:52 AM, Rasslinking said:

To be fair, 5 of our 8 State Medalists all started wrestling in 6th grade at McCallie.  The others entered into school as incoming 9th graders.  There's only 2 Borders on the team and they didn't come to McCallie for wrestling.  It's not like we're out pulling high school state champions off other teams.  Our middle school team has finally become quite competitive locally over the last couple years also.  We just had 5 current middle schoolers (all started  McCallie in 6th grade) place in TNAAU and GAUSA youth state championships.  You might want to check with your sources again before you say that we aren't trying to develop talent at McCallie.  That's one of the main reasons we all enjoy coaching. 

Also, Blackman will do a great job at Bradley.  Congratulations to Ben Smith on a great coaching career!  

Edited by matpitts81
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3