Ben Smith

CHSBLUE

The expectation in that town…. and for those two programs is to win State Championships. Just like Coach Logsdon did. How many Championships did they win over the last 12 years?

Yes, most programs would love for the success that Bradley has achieved over the last decade, but not the standard for the program.

So, a new perspective is needed to get things the way it used to be.

If not, they will continue to get best by Cleveland. Disagree?

From what I am hearing from those close to the program, Blackmon seems to be the front runner but others are being considered. Here are the names that I am hearing... all very highly qualified candidates! 

First 3 in the family

Bryant Blackmon

· 2004 State Champion at Bradley under the Godfather, Steve Logsdon, finished 2nd in 2003

· Brings head coaching experience from serving as the head coach at Ooltewah HS and Greenback HS

· Wrestled with his brother, Rusty, at Oklahoma State for a year under legendary Cowboy coach John Smith on the 2005 National Championship team

· Spent time as an assistant at Walker Valley HS and most recently under Ben Smith at Bradley

Heath Eslinger

· 2x SoCon Coach of the Year (2011, 2013) at UTC

· Led Mocs to 6 regular season SoCon titles and 5 SoCon tournament titles

· #2 in UTC history for career head coaching wins with a 101-61 dual meet record

· One of the drivers to the start of Cleveland’s historic run as their head coach prior to UTC

· Assistant at UTC under legendary Terry Brands from 2002-2004

· 3x SoCon Champion and 3x NCAA qualifier

· 2x State Champion at Bradley

· https://gomocs.com/sports/wr/roster/coaches/heath-eslinger/500

Shawn Cordell

· 3x Tennessee State Champion at Bradley in 2001, 2002, and 2004

· Coaching tree includes wrestling under the Godfather, Steve Logsdon and at UTC for 3x World Team member and National Champion Chris Bono

· Assistant under Ben Smith

Other 3 outside the family...

Chris Dieben

· Current Baylor School assistant under Rex Kendle where they have won 2 State Traditional titles and 1 Dual title

· 4x Tennessee State Champion

· HS National Champion

· Could likely add his father, Eric Phillips, to the staff

· 2x SoCon Champion and 2x NCAA qualifier at UTC

· https://www.baylorschool.org/directory/profile/~const-id/62106

· https://gomocs.com/sports/wr/roster/chris-debien/6831

Houston Clements

· Current Signal Mountain head coach

· 2022 State Duals Champions

· 2nd in Traditional in 2022, 2023, and 2nd in Duals in 2023

· 2x All-American at Baylor School, wrestled collegiately at North Carolina

· https://goheels.com/sports/wrestling/roster/houston-clements/5862

· Would the Uhorchuks follow him to Bradley???

Greg Foreman

· 5x State Dual Champions (2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020)

· 4x State Dual Runner-Up (2012, 2013, 2016, 2021)

· 6x State Traditional Champions (2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021)

· This one seems the least likely given Foreman and his family would have to move cities

Prediction - I think they are going to try to convince Eslinger to take it, he'll turn it down, and they will keep it in the family with Blackmon. I hear a lot are high on the idea of Clements or Dieben though. I still think Blackmon will end up being the guy. Should have an announcement soon. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The answer is:

Bryant Blackmon

· 2004 State Champion at Bradley under the Godfather, Steve Logsdon, finished 2nd in 2003

· Brings head coaching experience from serving as the head coach at Ooltewah HS and Greenback HS

· Wrestled with his brother, Rusty, at Oklahoma State for a year under legendary Cowboy coach John Smith on the 2005 National Championship team

· Spent time as an assistant at Walker Valley HS and most recently under Ben Smith at Bradley

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, texas23 said:

The answer is:

Bryant Blackmon

· 2004 State Champion at Bradley under the Godfather, Steve Logsdon, finished 2nd in 2003

I believe he will do well.

1 hour ago, cbg said:

Was anyone outside of the Bradley program formally interviewed? 

I do not believe so. My friends at BC tell me that Blackmon was the choice all along. It turns out that my list appeared to be more of a wish list from some of the parents and a few alumni close to the program. 

The community is very supportive of Blackmon and believes he will do a great job. They will need to give him some time though. As rasslinking said previously, the Bears graduate 8 quality seniors. That star studded senior class couldn't beat Cleveland this year. I expect Cleveland to be even better next year, so it's hard when you're Blackmon coming in and a lot of people will assess you based on how you do against Cleveland. 

I do believe this is a critical juncture for the Bradley Central program. Historically, when you look at proud programs like Soddy Daisy, McCallie, Baylor, CBHS, and Hixson, the transition from a longtime impressive coach to someone new is monumental.

Soddy Daisy slumped significantly after legendary coach Steve Henry retired. It's taken them close to 10 years to finally rebound. To their credit, they gave Ulric Winesburgh time and their patience was rewarded once they found the right guy. To all of my fellow Vol fans, think about the tough times following the Fulmer era.

McCallie hasn't been the same since Gordon Connell retired and neither has CBHS since the departure of Chris Lewis to MUS. Hixson completely fell off the map this year following the retirement of Garrick Hall.

What I like about this hire for Bradley is the parallel between this and the path Baylor took following Jim Morgan's long and impressive tenure. Baylor had Ben Nelson succeed Morgan who had previously served as an assistant, and Rex Kendle then took over after Nelson moved on, and he also had served as an assistant. I expect Bradley's path after Logsdon's retirement with Ben Smith and now Bryant Blackmon to prove beneficial. I may be wrong but keeping it within the family seems like a safe and likely wise move. I would give this hire a solid B+/A- but time will tell.

Rasslinking is certainly right. Blackmon must make the kids club and middle school a top priority if he plans on contending with their cross-town rival.

4 hours ago, cowcatcherII said:

I do not believe so. My friends at BC tell me that Blackmon was the choice all along. It turns out that my list appeared to be more of a wish list from some of the parents and a few alumni close to the program. 

The community is very supportive of Blackmon and believes he will do a great job. They will need to give him some time though. As rasslinking said previously, the Bears graduate 8 quality seniors. That star studded senior class couldn't beat Cleveland this year. I expect Cleveland to be even better next year, so it's hard when you're Blackmon coming in and a lot of people will assess you based on how you do against Cleveland. 

I do believe this is a critical juncture for the Bradley Central program. Historically, when you look at proud programs like Soddy Daisy, McCallie, Baylor, CBHS, and Hixson, the transition from a longtime impressive coach to someone new is monumental.

Soddy Daisy slumped significantly after legendary coach Steve Henry retired. It's taken them close to 10 years to finally rebound. To their credit, they gave Ulric Winesburgh time and their patience was rewarded once they found the right guy. To all of my fellow Vol fans, think about the tough times following the Fulmer era.

McCallie hasn't been the same since Gordon Connell retired and neither has CBHS since the departure of Chris Lewis to MUS. Hixson completely fell off the map this year following the retirement of Garrick Hall.

What I like about this hire for Bradley is the parallel between this and the path Baylor took following Jim Morgan's long and impressive tenure. Baylor had Ben Nelson succeed Morgan who had previously served as an assistant, and Rex Kendle then took over after Nelson moved on, and he also had served as an assistant. I expect Bradley's path after Logsdon's retirement with Ben Smith and now Bryant Blackmon to prove beneficial. I may be wrong but keeping it within the family seems like a safe and likely wise move. I would give this hire a solid B+/A- but time will tell.

Rasslinking is certainly right. Blackmon must make the kids club and middle school a top priority if he plans on contending with their cross-town rival.

I agree with you that it will take some time to get the program to where they are able to truly compete with Cleveland for supremacy.  The problem is that Cleveland is not going to back off and Bradley has their work cut out for them.  With regards to McCallie, they have not been good since the combination of Gordon Connell and Ethan Reeve were coaching together at McCallie.  IMO, McCallie should beg, borrow and steal, if possible, to get Ethan Reeve to take over the wrestling program and turn things around.  Ethan is living in Chattanooga, and he knows what it takes to win.  The questions is would the administration allow Ethan to do what it takes to be successful.

Edited by cbg

Isn't Higher Calling where most of the quality wrestlers from the Cleveland area originate from? Or has Higher Calling turned into mostly Cleveland HS bound kids?  Seems like years ago there was a fair amount of kids that would end up at both Bradley and Cleveland.  Perhaps it was never that way.  Asking because it would seem to somewhat negate the need for the kids club stuff.

23 hours ago, cbg said:

I agree with you that it will take some time to get the program to where they are able to truly compete with Cleveland for supremacy.  The problem is that Cleveland is not going to back off and Bradley has their work cut out for them.  With regards to McCallie, they have not been good since the combination of Gordon Connell and Ethan Reeve were coaching together at McCallie.  IMO, McCallie should beg, borrow and steal, if possible, to get Ethan Reeve to take over the wrestling program and turn things around.  Ethan is living in Chattanooga, and he knows what it takes to win.  The questions is would the administration allow Ethan to do what it takes to be successful.

What are you talking about?  Yes, the last 2 years have been supar at McCallie but the 4 years before that they were 2nd or 3rd best overall program in the state with multiple multi-time state champs under Yost.  

With the young kids that they developed through their Club and MS program this year and the massive class of extremely good Freshmen they have coming in this next season, McCallie is loading up to be one of the best programs state for next few years again.