Who’s The Best 1A Team Ever?

UConnAlum94

31 minutes ago, Doc931 said:

Memphis Mitchell 14-15 team and its not even close. 1 D2 player, 6 D1 players just off the top of my head if I had to bet i would say that entire roster played college ball. There has never and will never come close to this team. 

They lost 6 times, that ends the conversation for me. 

On 3/13/2023 at 2:54 PM, SavageSpeaks said:

Should’ve lost to Goodpasture in 2014. GP had more talent imo. 

They didn’t win a state title which still blows my mind, but 93-94 Goodpasture team had the most talent of any 1A team ever. 

Idk alot more Mitchell players continued to play at the next level. That GP was darn solid though. Loved when GP got to play Gordonsville and Red boiling Springs every other week. Lol Just imagine if that was still the case the last 3 years you'd have your answer for best A team ever 

49 minutes ago, attila said:

They lost 6 times, that ends the conversation for me. 

Im sorry but you do realize that their 6 losses came from the Alabama state runner up, Arkansas state champions, Mississippi state champs in 5 and 3A, Ballard was a state tournament team in KY and lost to Memphis Hamilton who won 3a that year. They destroyed everyone in 1a and would anyone from the past. 

21 minutes ago, Doc931 said:

Im sorry but you do realize that their 6 losses came from the Alabama state runner up, Arkansas state champions, Mississippi state champs in 5 and 3A, Ballard was a state tournament team in KY and lost to Memphis Hamilton who won 3a that year. They destroyed everyone in 1a and would anyone from the past. 

Exactly...it's not the # of L's but who they played, and that probably helped them to get where they were. Still think that Kirk Haston's Perry County team was better though. With him filling the lane (he could stroke too), the speed, size and skill of the "supporting cast" created matchups that even extremely talented teams just couldn't match. On paper, Ron Mercer's GP team should be right there with PC, but not getting it done in the tournament makes that argument mute. Best team that I saw not mentioned yet was eliminated that year by GP. Santa Fe was massive! Their smallest player was listed at 6'4" and was a sniper, two 6'10" bigs in the lane, and all five could run the floor...in most years, they run away with the tournament.

23 hours ago, Doc931 said:

That Mitchell team was good but I don't think they beat us(uc) in 2008 definitely wouldn't destroy us lol 

• Upvote 1

On 3/21/2023 at 10:27 AM, Swipes said:

How much better was the UC 08 team compared to the UC 14 team that lost in the finals?

I didn't see the '14 team in person, but I did see the '08 team twice. The '08 team was really good, they didn't have a weakness other than overall size. Not to say that they were small, just wouldn't have had an answer for a Haston type big. I watched them beat Humboldt who was long and athletic, but not a true "center" type. Mitchell's post was talented, but I think Union City could have at least matched his output with their inside play. I think that '08 UC/ '15 Mitchell would have been barn burners, but would have to give Mitchell the nod with their shooters.

Best ER team ever would probably be the 88’ team went 37-1. Smallest player was Mr Basketball in Fitz Jones at 6’1” , and had the 1989 Mr Basketball in 6’8” Carlus Groves. Marcus Bell was 6’5” and could get some boards. Jimbo Vaughn and Neil Murphy were both around 6’3” and could shoot the cover off the ball. Don’t know if they were better than the 98’ PC team but I would say they are in the top 3-5 range for best 1A team of all time.

Mitchell"s 2015 team was dominant. In 3 the state tournament games the scores were:

69-30

72-37

69-39

1 player played in the NBA (Martin)

4 are now playing professionally overseas (Martin, Echols, Ollison, and Fofona)

9 played at the next level (Martin, Echols, Fofona, Shipp, Jones, Lee, Ollison, Phillips, Coppage

The best team ever.

12 hours ago, galibap said:

Mitchell"s 2015 team was dominant. In 3 the state tournament games the scores were:

69-30

72-37

69-39

9 played at the next level (Martin, Echols, Fofona, Shipp, Jones, Lee, Ollison, Phillips, Coppage

The best team ever.

Jeremiah Martin was a walking bucket. There will never be another 1A team of that caliber. 

Yes he was. He destroyed Union City in the Championship Game. Everyone was talking about how Stockdale and Deberry. would kill us. MB made a few 3's but we held Stockdale in check. Our bigs could not wait to play him. He killed us the year before in the sectional but that was our plan. Contain Deberry and make the PG work and if anyone else scored a lot we could live with that

On 3/26/2023 at 10:12 PM, galibap said:

69-30

72-37

69-39

The best team ever.

Your post seems hard to argue with, but I'll still respectfully have to give Perry County the edge. 9 players to play at the next level is impressive, but Ollison, Martin, and Echols were the meat of the team in '15, and I'm assuming that some of the others must have been undeveloped underclassmen in that year. Starting 5 head to head with PC would have been a tough matchup for Mitchell, but you definitely have a good point to argue.