Some People on here...

WestTNHoopsFan

... Need to have their phone taken away or their laptop thrown in the trash... 

Sad. why take away from what kids are doing? they can't help it that the talent isn't what it use to be or the classifications changed and made more teams make the state tournament. Celebrate them. They are playing in the state tournament making memories of a lifetime. Let them enjoy it and don't take away from their experience because it "just isn't the way it use to be". 

LET THEM ENJOY IT AND CELEBRATE THEM.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Sad. why take away from what kids are doing? they can't help it that the talent isn't what it use to be or the classifications changed and made more teams make the state tournament. Celebrate them. They are playing in the state tournament making memories of a lifetime. Let them enjoy it and don't take away from their experience because it "just isn't the way it use to be". 

I applaud every team that makes it here as they can only play the teams who are in front of them, at the same time there’s no way a semifinal game should be a blow out especially one decided by 40 points like MLK yesterday . That should never happen in a state tournament, if they are truly are the best 8 teams in the classification it wouldn’t happen! T$$AA needs to start noticing what everybody else can see. It’s becoming so watered down you can barely taste the Coke. Then you got Charter and Magnet schools handpicking players and playing rural county schools in 1 and 2a instead of competing in the correct divisions. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

I applaud every team that makes it here as they can only play the teams who are in front of them, at the same time there’s no way a semifinal game should be a blow out especially one decided by 40 points like MLK yesterday . That should never happen in a state tournament, if they are truly are the best 8 teams in the classification it wouldn’t happen! T$$AA needs to start noticing what everybody else can see. It’s becoming so watered down you can barely taste the Coke. Then you got Charter and Magnet schools handpicking players and playing rural county schools in 1 and 2a instead of competing in the correct divisions. 

There have been and always will be blowouts at all levels of the tournament, that was happening with 3 classes and before the public/private split. The new private schools are the charters and magnets. Big deal, find a way to coach and play better. The TSSAA should do a better job of vetting the charters, the magnets are set up by the school system they reside in. Just a reminder that MLK is a magnet and has won a AA state championship in the past. Also I guess it’s watered down even though Nashville-Metro hasn’t won a state championship in 40 years in AAA. If football can have 6 classes in public and 3 in private then basketball can have 4 an 2.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

A coachT message board with comments stating the tourney is watered down and didnt need 4 Classes or any other complaints about TSSAA changes or lack there of doesnt/shouldnt hurt any players experience. You’re soft as grandmas cookies just looking for a reason to outcry somebody is hurt. How about you throw your metro by T-mobile phone in the trash.

Edited by HonkyNinja12

2 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

This is a message board where people give their opinions on what their eyes see… Not a single person on here has blasted a player directly. “They can’t help it that the talent isn’t what is used to be” 

who is “they” ? 

The players? 

On 3/17/2023 at 11:00 AM, TheTruthHurts22 said:

Completely disagree with you. It is not the classifications! it is the talent. I been watching basketball for decades in West Tennessee and the talent is just not what it use to be. I remembered watching games 10 years ago and having 6-8 D1 players on the court from just 2 teams. It just isn't like that anymore. It will come back though. Celebrate the kids. High School sports MUST be about the kids. Let them enjoy it. They are playing in a state tournament. 

On 3/17/2023 at 12:33 PM, HonkyNinja12 said:

A coachT message board with comments stating the tourney is watered down and didnt need 4 Classes or any other complaints about TSSAA changes or lack there of doesnt/shouldnt hurt any players experience. You’re soft as grandmas cookies just looking for a reason to outcry somebody is hurt. How about you throw your metro by T-mobile phone in the trash.

Do you think kids hearing people say things like "We should not  have 4 classes it waters down everything" "The TSSAA just wants money thats why they have all these classes and teams in the state tournament" take that as a detractor from playing in the state tournament? What is typed on here is said out there. My point is not that everybody gets a trophy or anything like that. They (The kids) have no control over the system. Don't take away from their experience by talking about how bad the games are and how they should not even be this many teams in the state tournament. 

The changing of the game itself is to blame. It doesn't matter how many classifications their are. The talent in basketball in general is down because of AAU and influencer basketball. No one plays team defense, bad shots, no strategy, less skill, etc... is the cause of the decline of the game. Rebounding and defense are essential and it is avoided like the plague. 

Look at how wild the NCAA tournament has been the past few years. The strategy is simply try to beat the guy in front of you and throw up a wild shot and hope to get bailed out.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 3/17/2023 at 1:15 PM, attila said:

There have been and always will be blowouts at all levels of the tournament, that was happening with 3 classes and before the public/private split. The new private schools are the charters and magnets. Big deal, find a way to coach and play better. The TSSAA should do a better job of vetting the charters, the magnets are set up by the school system they reside in. Just a reminder that MLK is a magnet and has won a AA state championship in the past. Also I guess it’s watered down even though Nashville-Metro hasn’t won a state championship in 40 years in AAA. If football can have 6 classes in public and 3 in private then basketball can have 4 an 2.

I went to high school in Illinois in the mid 80's and we had 2 classes in basketballs and there were just over 200 high schools, both public and private, in Chicago alone (that's not counting the suburbs). Illinois now has 4 classes in basketball and 8 in football but in my opinion  in Tennessee 4 classes in D1 basketball, 6 classes in D1 football and 3 in D2 football is WAY too many. There are not enough schools to justify this many titles, some people say it's about the TSSAA making money but when the numbers are down at the state tournament no one is making money, now I've been hearing of schools wanting a rural metro split.  Three classes in basketball should be sufficient, in football there should be 4 in D1 and 2 in D2. There are too many 4 team districts in basketball.  More doesn't mean better.

1 hour ago, warmachine7954 said:

The changing of the game itself is to blame. It doesn't matter how many classifications their are. The talent in basketball in general is down because of AAU and influencer basketball. No one plays team defense, bad shots, no strategy, less skill, etc... is the cause of the decline of the game. Rebounding and defense are essential and it is avoided like the plague. 

Look at how wild the NCAA tournament has been the past few years. The strategy is simply try to beat the guy in front of you and throw up a wild shot and hope to get bailed out.

Hence why Euro players are at the top of the NBA right now. Different system bringing them up that values true team oriented skill and they are more advanced basketball players. But you’re just being a hater if you say anything besides sunshine and rainbows.

1 hour ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

Hence why Euro players are at the top of the NBA right now. Different system bringing them up that values true team oriented skill and they are more advanced basketball players. But you’re just being a hater if you say anything besides sunshine and rainbows.

Our kids here are playing  multiple 40 minute (running clock) games on 10 ft rims at 10 years old on a Saturday with one or two practices a week in a "season". Then AAU rolls around and they play a bunch of games (sometimes with multiple teams) with no practice, no game plan, and no camaraderie. The coaches, that are getting high school coaching jobs in some places, just encourage chaotic basketball and those with the best players/athletes win. Then we regulate high school basketball to start practice to 2 weeks before the season begins and a few days in the off season. 

15 hours ago, HonkyNinja12 said:

13 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

Our kids here are playing  multiple 40 minute (running clock) games on 10 ft rims at 10 years old on a Saturday with one or two practices a week in a "season". Then AAU rolls around and they play a bunch of games (sometimes with multiple teams) with no practice, no game plan, and no camaraderie. The coaches, that are getting high school coaching jobs in some places, just encourage chaotic basketball and those with the best players/athletes win. Then we regulate high school basketball to start practice to 2 weeks before the season begins and a few days in the off season. 

Both posts are spot on. My point was that during the tournament wasn't the time, and the players aren't to blame for the skill level drop-off. Until "team concept" coaching re-enters our system from a young age, as well as focus on fundamental skills, the best basketball in this country is in the rearview mirror. Not too long ago, I could take a short drive and see D1 (future pro) prospects play right here in West Tennessee. Bolivar, Southside, Liberty, Obion County, Hardin County, and Haywood County all produced one or more high level prospects in the rural areas, not to mention the Memphis teams...can't find a solid D1 type around here now with a radar tracking device, yet somehow football kids are bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than they were then on average.

• Upvote 1