Some People on here...

WestTNHoopsFan

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Both posts are spot on. My point was that during the tournament wasn't the time, and the players aren't to blame for the skill level drop-off. Until "team concept" coaching re-enters our system from a young age, as well as focus on fundamental skills, the best basketball in this country is in the rearview mirror. Not too long ago, I could take a short drive and see D1 (future pro) prospects play right here in West Tennessee. Bolivar, Southside, Liberty, Obion County, Hardin County, and Haywood County all produced one or more high level prospects in the rural areas, not to mention the Memphis teams...can't find a solid D1 type around here now with a radar tracking device, yet somehow football kids are bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than they were then on average.

Good point on football. Basketball gets caught in the middle of football and baseball. I have seen several really good players in West TN recently decide not to play basketball and focus on football. That makes me sad for the kid because they are missing out on the high school experience. Also, stinks for the basketball team and coach. Also, agree with focus on the fundamentals. There are only a hand full of teams in West TN I watched this year that were fundamentally sound and they made a decent post season run with a ton less talent and athletes. 

8 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Both posts are spot on. My point was that during the tournament wasn't the time, and the players aren't to blame for the skill level drop-off. Until "team concept" coaching re-enters our system from a young age, as well as focus on fundamental skills, the best basketball in this country is in the rearview mirror. Not too long ago, I could take a short drive and see D1 (future pro) prospects play right here in West Tennessee. Bolivar, Southside, Liberty, Obion County, Hardin County, and Haywood County all produced one or more high level prospects in the rural areas, not to mention the Memphis teams...can't find a solid D1 type around here now with a radar tracking device, yet somehow football kids are bigger, stronger, faster, and more talented than they were then on average.

There is no doubt that the talent level is down. Memphis is really low comparatively to other years. We all know that talent comes in cycles then occasionally you'll get a super group like 2006 with Willie Kemp, Wayne Chism, Thaddeus Young, and Brandan Wright. 

Coaches aren't being hired for their coaching ability in some places. In basketball, schools are looking to hire coaches that are young and have connections to AAU programs that have connections to kids with the hope of getting players to a school. So many conversations with coaches have these phrases, "________ was supposed to come here." or "That kid was supposed to play at ________ school but went to __________." If you get a player great but why not spend time growing a developing the players you have? But on the flip side some coaches are scared to develop kids because they'll put in the time and work and the kid will leave and go somewhere else.

• Upvote 1

In response to TheTruthHurts22:   So you don't think teams should get blown out in the state tournament.  OK, Fulton blows out one team by 40 and then by 30 in the championship game.  So you are saying that neither of those teams that were blown out should have even been in the state tournament?  Is that what you're saying?  They worked hard to get there.  MLK is an academic magnet school, so those kids not only achieve on the court by also in the classroom.  I don't know about Haywood but they were 30-6.  Have no idea if they are expected to perform in the classroom or not like MLK.  It appears to me that YOUR team didn't get in maybe?  Whatever,  I applaud every team there, win or lose, close game or blow out, doesn't matter. I am proud of every team that played a game on the MTSU floor.  Case closed......

14 minutes ago, JimBu said:

In response to TheTruthHurts22:   So you don't think teams should get blown out in the state tournament.  OK, Fulton blows out one team by 40 and then by 30 in the championship game.  So you are saying that neither of those teams that were blown out should have even been in the state tournament?  Is that what you're saying?  They worked hard to get there.  MLK is an academic magnet school, so those kids not only achieve on the court by also in the classroom.  I don't know about Haywood but they were 30-6.  Have no idea if they are expected to perform in the classroom or not like MLK.  It appears to me that YOUR team didn't get in maybe?  Whatever,  I applaud every team there, win or lose, close game or blow out, doesn't matter. I am proud of every team that played a game on the MTSU floor.  Case closed......

Agree. There are blowouts in all end of season tournaments.  Find something to celebrate and stop looking for the negative man. Celebrate the great players on the teams that win and be happy for the experience for the teams that get beat. 

6 hours ago, JimBu said:

Just because it is an academic magnet school doesn't mean it takes academic kids only. Have known MS coaches in Nashville who had great players recruited by magnet and private schools. Magnet schools must have x amount of minority students and those seats can't be filled by anyone else. Magnets should have to play in the private school division with this unfair advantage of recruiting. This is why Nashville public schools have such a hard time competing. 

23 hours ago, warmachine7954 said:

There is no doubt that the talent level is down. Memphis is really low comparatively to other years. We all know that talent comes in cycles then occasionally you'll get a super group like 2006 with Willie Kemp, Wayne Chism, Thaddeus Young, and Brandan Wright. 

Coaches aren't being hired for their coaching ability in some places. In basketball, schools are looking to hire coaches that are young and have connections to AAU programs that have connections to kids with the hope of getting players to a school. So many conversations with coaches have these phrases, "________ was supposed to come here." or "That kid was supposed to play at ________ school but went to __________." If you get a player great but why not spend time growing a developing the players you have? But on the flip side some coaches are scared to develop kids because they'll put in the time and work and the kid will leave and go somewhere else.

Sort of similar to what's taking place in the NCAA tournament right now..."blue blood" teams filled with one and done type Freshmen players being knocked out in the early rounds by teams with seasoned kids playing team ball. You can't blame the kids with the talent to go get their money in the NBA, but I really would love to see coaches figure out that "team" beats "talent", adjust their focus, and return to player development in the college game. Unfortunately, I don't think that the high school trend will ever go back to kids attending their area schools without considering which offers the opportunity to be recruited to the next level...too much outside influence from AAU coaches and "entrepreneurs" charging kids to showcase them to scouts, as well as a few high school coaches looking to work the system through their alliances with league coaches for their own benefit.

14 hours ago, ecu said:

Just because it is an academic magnet school doesn't mean it takes academic kids only. Have known MS coaches in Nashville who had great players recruited by magnet and private schools. Magnet schools must have x amount of minority students and those seats can't be filled by anyone else. Magnets should have to play in the private school division with this unfair advantage of recruiting. This is why Nashville public schools have such a hard time competing. 

You don't know what you are talking about.  MLK and Hume Fogg both accept students who score high enough to get in.  And when they are accepted, they sometimes have to leave because of the academic work load.  That is a fact.  They do not recruit from middle school because they can't. There is no guarantee that the student will get in to the school.  Other Nashville "so called" magnet schools can and do recruit from middle school.  Check it out.  Call the school. Talk to the administrators.  You'll see.  

6 minutes ago, JimBu said:

You don't know what you are talking about.  MLK and Hume Fogg both accept students who score high enough to get in.  And when they are accepted, they sometimes have to leave because of the academic work load.  That is a fact.  They do not recruit from middle school because they can't. There is no guarantee that the student will get in to the school.  Other Nashville "so called" magnet schools can and do recruit from middle school.  Check it out.  Call the school. Talk to the administrators.  You'll see.  

There it is in one sentence. Not that all do, but all magnet schools have the opportunity to assemble a hand picked enrollment, and the decision about where the students are admitted from lies solely with their administration. The "Magnet" designation removes all restrictions other than what is self imposed. Let's not debate what a specific school engages in, but what the opportunity to do is. Educate yourself before you berate someone else.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, tradertwo said:

There it is in one sentence. Not that all do, but all magnet schools have the opportunity to assemble a hand picked enrollment, and the decision about where the students are admitted from lies solely with their administration. The "Magnet" designation removes all restrictions other than what is self imposed. Let's not debate what a specific school engages in, but what the opportunity to do is. Educate yourself before you berate someone else.

Unbelievable.  Let me give you an example.  A kid plays basketball in middle school and is an exceptional player.  Everybody wants him in high school.  MLK wants him. East wants him.. etc. etc.etc.   He can't get into MLK because of grades and scores.  So he goes to East. Excels on the court but not in the classroom, but no worries.  He graduates.  All is well. Point is:   He can get into any magnet school he wants except for Hume Fogg and MLK.  You still don't get it?  Then nevermind.  You'll never get it.

4 hours ago, JimBu said:

Unbelievable.  Let me give you an example.  A kid plays basketball in middle school and is an exceptional player.  Everybody wants him in high school.  MLK wants him. East wants him.. etc. etc.etc.   He can't get into MLK because of grades and scores.  So he goes to East. Excels on the court but not in the classroom, but no worries.  He graduates.  All is well. Point is:   He can get into any magnet school he wants except for Hume Fogg and MLK.  You still don't get it?  Then nevermind.  You'll never get it.

One of us obviously doesn't "get it". My next to last sentence was "Let's not debate what a specific school engages in, but what the opportunity to do is"... your rebuttal is literally "let me give you an example..." I'm guessing that you weren't on the debate team.

16 hours ago, JimBu said:

So they are dictating which ones of the “smarter” students they want or can even attend their school? Just have to pass certain tests to get put into the Hume Fogg and MLK pool of “better testing” student athletes? I’m guessing the majority of these come from better backgrounds, than the ones that and go enroll at East or other Davidson County public schools , because their families can afford it. Ok so now they got their list of student athletes and then they get to battle Hume Fogg for the student they want to enroll or at least the ones that make the cut for their Magnet schools?
You do realize this is the definition of hand picking the ones that go to that school. Just because you have to compete with Hume Fogg it’s a lot different than every other public school and yet they play by the same rules as the teams that have to pick from their zone. If one of those two schools have an AD or school board that is willing to put assets and money into the sports programs, the sky is the limit for that school playing against public schools. 

If I’m the coach I’m doing my research and pitching some bonafide studs from all over the county to come win me some games and it’s all completely legal! MLK can do all that and still got smacked by 40. No way them or White County were top 8 in the state in 3a maybe not even 2a that’s all my first post you critiqued was implying.  I watched multiple double A teams this year that would have beaten MLK and White Co handily.