Some People on here...

WestTNHoopsFan

20 hours ago, TheTruthHurts22 said:

So they are dictating which ones of the “smarter” students they want or can even attend their school? Just have to pass certain tests to get put into the Hume Fogg and MLK pool of “better testing” student athletes? I’m guessing the majority of these come from better backgrounds, than the ones that and go enroll at East or other Davidson County public schools , because their families can afford it. Ok so now they got their list of student athletes and then they get to battle Hume Fogg for the student they want to enroll or at least the ones that make the cut for their Magnet schools?
You do realize this is the definition of hand picking the ones that go to that school. Just because you have to compete with Hume Fogg it’s a lot different than every other public school and yet they play by the same rules as the teams that have to pick from their zone. If one of those two schools have an AD or school board that is willing to put assets and money into the sports programs, the sky is the limit for that school playing against public schools. 

If I’m the coach I’m doing my research and pitching some bonafide studs from all over the county to come win me some games and it’s all completely legal! MLK can do all that and still got smacked by 40. No way them or White County were top 8 in the state in 3a maybe not even 2a that’s all my first post you critiqued was implying.  I watched multiple double A teams this year that would have beaten MLK and White Co handily. 

Not commenting on who goes where and how they end up there. 

We will never see the best 8 teams in the state at the state tournament in any classification. That is the beauty of post season basketball. That is why I love it. Every team has a chance and a team gets hot at the right time or plays out of their mind and knocks off a better team... Then they get to state tournament and get ran... Happens all the time. Has been happening for years... Will always happen.. The beauty of Post season ball.

6 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Not commenting on who goes where and how they end up there. 

We will never see the best 8 teams in the state at the state tournament in any classification. That is the beauty of post season basketball. That is why I love it. Every team has a chance and a team gets hot at the right time or plays out of their mind and knocks off a better team... Then they get to state tournament and get ran... Happens all the time. Has been happening for years... Will always happen.. The beauty of Post season ball.

Agree... and you can add that if the team that knocked off the "better team" stays hot, they can win the whole thing. Not the same game, but in '16 Scotts Hill's baseball team finished 4'th in district, 2'nd in region, and 1'st in the state. Beat the #1 ranked team twice to get to the championship game, then the defending champs to bring the gold ball home with them... you can say that a not so good team got hot, or you can say that it took a while for the best team to get going, but what you can't argue is that the most deserving team won because they won it on the field.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Agree... and you can add that if the team that knocked off the "better team" stays hot, they can win the whole thing. Not the same game, but in '16 Scotts Hill's baseball team finished 4'th in district, 2'nd in region, and 1'st in the state. Beat the #1 ranked team twice to get to the championship game, then the defending champs to bring the gold ball home with them... you can say that a not so good team got hot, or you can say that it took a while for the best team to get going, but what you can't argue is that the most deserving team won because they won it on the field.

Totally agree.

Did anyone see the UCONN/Gonzaga game?  There is a lot of discussion about the state tournament being watered down with too many classifications.  Gonzaga is an outstanding team and they got hammered by 30 points in the elite 8.  With the way the game is played today, that can happen to a lot of good teams if the other team is hitting three's and rolling.  Happens all the time at all levels.  It is just today's game.  Do some teams get in they aren't state caliber teams? Absolutely.  Do some really good teams get in and get blown out? Absolutely.  

On 3/27/2023 at 10:40 AM, Redrage4life said:

Did anyone see the UCONN/Gonzaga game?  There is a lot of discussion about the state tournament being watered down with too many classifications.  Gonzaga is an outstanding team and they got hammered by 30 points in the elite 8.  With the way the game is played today, that can happen to a lot of good teams if the other team is hitting three's and rolling.  Happens all the time at all levels.  It is just today's game.  Do some teams get in they aren't state caliber teams? Absolutely.  Do some really good teams get in and get blown out? Absolutely.  

Uconn miami....

I personally like the current set up. I like District Tournaments. it is exciting for the kids. Advancing to region is automatic in some 4 team districts and I'm okay with that too. It is just more opportunities for kids to play. I don't think any districts swept the quarter finals of the region. I know Region 6 was close with only South Gibson winning the quarter finals but not sure any district swept the other so the competition is pretty even in the regions.  

I was also good with 3 classes but I don't see any reason to go back now. 

Celebrate the kids

On 4/6/2023 at 11:02 AM, Redrage4life said:

With the money being generated by the four classes, the TSSAA will never go back to 3 classes in my opinion.  Mississippi is going to 7 classes next year which I think is crazy to say the least.  Some classes will only have 25-30 teams in them.  

Is Mississippi a state that has the classes the same for all sports?