Middleton Vs Hampton 3-18-23

Backyardbbq15

2 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

This year was definitely different. All the gold balls in women’s went to West Tennessee. Where normally you have some of them going to middle Tennessee teams and East Tn. And on the boys side, the west usually dominates so it’s been an odd year for sure. As far East Nasty, they were probably one of the best teams in the entire state without a doubt but Pearl Cohn beat them when it counted. As we all know anything can happen come tournament time. The NCAA tournament is proof of that. Purdue wins that game 9 out of 10 times or maybe even more than that but they are sitting at home watching. That’s what I love about this time of year. You don’t have to beat a team 3-4 times you only have to beat them once. 

Bradley central girls won 4a which is East Tennessee 

1 hour ago, Tab said:

Hampton goes to 2a next year. So they will have a real hard time making it the next 2 years.

Well Hampton will have a different make up next year, so it's kinda apples to oranges. That said, this season, I believe they very well could have made it to state in 2A, and I certainly think in 3A. They were better than Volunteer and Unicoi County.

Edited by crazzyness

2 hours ago, THE KING said:

Best chance our girls had of winning gold was in 2014 when we had the trio of Clarke, Wilson, and Mull.  We lost to Meigs 68-66 in substate.  They lost to eventual state champ union city by 9 in the semifinals.  We were as good as the best teams that year.  

Well I was referencing district 1A boys and the 2012 Cloudland team. But the same could be said for girls too, piggybacking a bit off of SG's stay in 1A.

26 minutes ago, Tab said:

I meant no Cloudland or Unaka 2 easy games and North Greene was not really that good. Plus region 2 was real bad.

WG is just as bad as Unaka/Cloudland. And HV is even worse. CD graduates alot of their talent. SG loses a decent chunk, I think. Now, Johnson County? They had arguably the best JV/Freshman team in the area, regardless of classification. Plus Atwood's kid will be a freshman next year. The '24-'25 & '25-'26 Johnson County teams could be special. 

Edited by crazzyness

8 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

This year was definitely different. All the gold balls in women’s went to West Tennessee. Where normally you have some of them going to middle Tennessee teams and East Tn. And on the boys side, the west usually dominates so it’s been an odd year for sure. As far East Nasty, they were probably one of the best teams in the entire state without a doubt but Pearl Cohn beat them when it counted. As we all know anything can happen come tournament time. The NCAA tournament is proof of that. Purdue wins that game 9 out of 10 times or maybe even more than that but they are sitting at home watching. That’s what I love about this time of year. You don’t have to beat a team 3-4 times you only have to beat them once. 

Yeah you never know what will happen. When you win a few Gold Balls and make the state a lot and don’t win it a few years although making it, it is kinda frustrating but you have to realize only one team will be happy the rest of the year out of what 90 teams. Gold Balls for sure don’t grow on trees. Have to be happy for great runs to get there even if you don’t win it. You and I have been blessed to be part of a few that have won it and know that feeling. But you know as well as I do basketball in TN is getting better.

Edited by pioneer42

4 hours ago, crazzyness said:

Well I was referencing district 1A boys and the 2012 Cloudland team. But the same could be said for girls too, piggybacking a bit off of SG's stay in 1A.

Yeah, Potter and McClellan were as good as they come.  I remember that team scored 65 points in one half against SG 

4 hours ago, UCSportsFan said:

Until last year I never heard of them. 

Not that I'm taking up for this poster, but East Robertson won three straight State Championships in 1987, 1988, and 1989. They were led by Carlos Groves (who went on to play at Tennessee). Then I believe they made an appearance in State in 1992, with the help of a guy name David Woodard (who was really good, ask Monterey when they played them in substate). But, until the past few seasons, they were not making much noise. I guess the Groves currently on ER team are legacy players of Carlos Groves (or some relation; I don't really know the relationship) helped them get back to a good team.