What are your thoughts on the 4 classifications this far?

Icy

In high school basketball, I'd prefer 3 classes for public school basketball. It wasn't as obvious in the boy's state tourney, but in the girl's state tourney...there were a couple of teams obviously that would not have been there if it wasn't so watered down. Seems like they could get the school populations divided in 3rds from 1A to 3A and get the tourney started on Wednesday. Just my 2 cents. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, pujo said:

They win football every single year with players from several different schools. Not sure if its urban or not but its close enough to load their teams with others schools kids.  Have nothing against them but they have nothing in common with the 3a schools in this area.

If Blount county has open enrollment out of middle school, that is a choice. If they are actively recruiting the hall of other high schools that is a problem. 

16 minutes ago, attila said:

If Blount county has open enrollment out of middle school, that is a choice. If they are actively recruiting the hall of other high schools that is a problem. 

I'm not real concerned, gets a little dull seeing the same team winning every single year. 

On 3/18/2023 at 11:43 AM, WestTnBasketball1234 said:

Watered down bad. This AAA championship game is a good example 

The classifications have nothing to do with the level of High School talent in the state right now. It is just not what it use to be. 4 class system 10 years ago would have been lights out in the state tournament. It is the talent not the system.

It is definitely watered down.  There are several 4 team districts, which means there are teams in the Region Tournament (Round of 64), that in theory would not have to win a single game to get there.  Making the Region Tournament in the past used to mean something.  Urban and Rural would not work in TN, but going back to 3 classes would definitely be the way to go.  Another idea to shake things up would be to mix up the sectional pairings somehow and/or have a satellite location for the substate games.  

2 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

The classifications have nothing to do with the level of High School talent in the state right now. It is just not what it use to be. 4 class system 10 years ago would have been lights out in the state tournament. It is the talent not the system.

I agree that talent seems to be down but 4 classes with talent down you end up with what you got 

On 3/18/2023 at 9:39 PM, JustinBuck said:

Not enough talent in this state to justify 6 classes in basketball and 9 classes in football.

5/2 football and start hammering programs when actual recruiting is found to be happening. More than just “probation” start with no playoffs for at least a year. 

So I went and did the math, since it seems the consensus is the games are so much worse now. I took the average score from all the public school games classes 1-4 over the past 2 years. And then I did classes 1-3 in 2018 and 2019. No tourney in 2020 and then didn’t want not having Memphis and other factors to skew 2021. So the last 2 true years with only 3 classes and this is what I got:

2022: 65.3-51    14.3 differential

2021: 63.5-52     11.5 differential 

2019: 68.5-54.3  14.2 differential 

2018: 66.8-53.3   13.5 differential 

So in conclusion, is it really that much worse? Or are we being prisoners of the moment?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, GHSSupporter said:

So I went and did the math, since it seems the consensus is the games are so much worse now. I took the average score from all the public school games classes 1-4 over the past 2 years. And then I did classes 1-3 in 2018 and 2019. No tourney in 2020 and then didn’t want not having Memphis and other factors to skew 2021. So the last 2 true years with only 3 classes and this is what I got:

2022: 65.3-51    14.3 differential

2021: 63.5-52     11.5 differential 

2019: 68.5-54.3  14.2 differential 

2018: 66.8-53.3   13.5 differential 

So in conclusion, is it really that much worse? Or are we being prisoners of the moment?

!!!!!!!!!  Data speaks

Celebrate the kids. A 4 class system allows us to celebrate more kids going to the state tournament. 

• Like 2