What are your thoughts on the 4 classifications this far?

Icy

3 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

!!!!!!!!!  Data speaks

Celebrate the kids. A 4 class system allows us to celebrate more kids going to the state tournament. 

Best viewpoint in the thread. I agree with the data...that's hard numbers, and if you want to include opinion, envision the tournament as it would have looked with three classes. Eight less teams overall, but with region splits included, would the level of competition really have been that much greater?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Basketballlover1 said:

The 3A game was not a good example to use. Haywood played great competition this year, considering the talent, go evaluate their schedule. Fulton was great shooting the ball last Saturday.  

Ewwwww I would go back and look more in depth at their schedule.  Yes, the teams they scheduled are traditionally good but wouldn't call it great competition by any means. They lost to Whitehaven (East beat them by 27), White Station (had a losing record and lost to Whitehaven the game before the East beat down), Blytheville (A team White Station beat even with a losing record on the year), Brighton (Losing record), and Ripley (Losing Record).  Fulton played against tougher competition with teams like Myers Park, Trinity, and Mountain Brook. 

The point was with them moving to 4 classifications it's watered it down.  It's nothing against Haywood either because it happened last year in AAA when Greeneville beat SS in the finals by 29.  SS said they had played great competition all year when in fact it was ok competition and not teams like Dr. Phillips (ranked 30th in the nation and took an L), Berkmar (7a State Runner up in GA), Amarillo (Lost to Texas State runner up by 9 in the post season ) DB (4a State Champs who they split with during the season), Bearden (4a State Runner up to DB) 

41 minutes ago, Swipes said:

Ewwwww I would go back and look more in depth at their schedule.  Yes, the teams they scheduled are traditionally good but wouldn't call it great competition by any means. They lost to Whitehaven (East beat them by 27), White Station (had a losing record and lost to Whitehaven the game before the East beat down), Blytheville (A team White Station beat even with a losing record on the year), Brighton (Losing record), and Ripley (Losing Record).  Fulton played against tougher competition with teams like Myers Park, Trinity, and Mountain Brook. 

The point was with them moving to 4 classifications it's watered it down.  It's nothing against Haywood either because it happened last year in AAA when Greeneville beat SS in the finals by 29.  SS said they had played great competition all year when in fact it was ok competition and not teams like Dr. Phillips (ranked 30th in the nation and took an L), Berkmar (7a State Runner up in GA), Amarillo (Lost to Texas State runner up by 9 in the post season ) DB (4a State Champs who they split with during the season), Bearden (4a State Runner up to DB) 

This argument can go on forever. But let’s just consider this: the 4 classes have allowed a few teams to make state that haven’t been in years that is true and a positive in my view. What is also true is I have watched every state tourney boys and girls for the last 30 years and what is also true in my opinion  is the talent around the state in the public schools is down, I would say WAY down from past years. Between the best players going to the private schools or to out of state prep schools it may get worse. Some of these teams look like glorified AAU teams and just not very well coached or taught the game. Just an observation. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2023 at 7:39 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

!!!!!!!!!  Data speaks

Celebrate the kids. A 4 class system allows us to celebrate more kids going to the state tournament. 

I'm in favor of going back to three classifications, but there are also some teams that would love to stay with 4 classifications because it gives them a greater chance to reach state (ex: Peabody) in their olympic sports.  Milan was able to used politics and appealed to a new region in volleyball to increase their chances to reach state (I cannot think of another reason why else they would).

In volleyball, Region 6 District 12, you'll have Peabody and Humboldt traveling east towards Clarksburg and Huntingdon to play volleyball. However, in Region 7 District 13, you'll have Milan traveling west to play Lake County and Union City. Peabody and Milan will cross paths in Volleyball.

However, Humboldt's appealed to move from Region 7 to Region 6 in 1A football got denied. I'm assuming the reason it got denied is due to Dresden being to Region 7.