Top 20 Programs In The State (all divisions)

cowcatcherII

16 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I wish I could upvote this more than once.  I do not believe that it waters anything down, at all.  But even if it did,  I dont care. The benefits FAR outweigh that. 

Do you have any published statistics or scientific data from credible sources to back your claims that having more teams and individuals competing in the state wrestling tournament helps grow the sport?  If those are your personal feelings that's great, but to make a statement like it's written in stone should be followed with some data.  Personally, I would like to see one state champion crowned in all individual sports, but I have absolutely no proof that it would assist even the least bit in helping to grow the sport of wrestling.  I will say from that from a personal observation when everyone was together in one division, the paid attendance for the state semi-finals and state finals was much better than it is today.

25 minutes ago, cbg said:

Do you have any published statistics or scientific data from credible sources to back your claims that having more teams and individuals competing in the state wrestling tournament helps grow the sport?  If those are your personal feelings that's great, but to make a statement like it's written in stone should be followed with some data.  Personally, I would like to see one state champion crowned in all individual sports, but I have absolutely no proof that it would assist even the least bit in helping to grow the sport of wrestling.  I will say from that from a personal observation when everyone was together in one division, the paid attendance for the state semi-finals and state finals was much better than it is today.

Lol @ scientific 

Guys, I think I should just take over and run things.

State duals would be divided into 5 classifications:  

Private School would keep their current split- however 8 teams would qualify for each division.

Public School would be split into 3 divisions: A for schools under 800 students, AA for schools between 801 and 1499 students, and AAA for schools with 1500+ enrollment (As I slowly takeover power in TSSAA this 3 division split system will become uniform for ALL sports- no more teams competing in 5A football and 1A wrestling- this kills me personally).  Each of these divisions will have 16 teams qualify for state duals.

This system will produce more state champions, and more teams qualifying than it ever has before.  Why do we need need 64 total teams at state duals?  Because I need to make more money, of course! 

Now you wrestling purists- don't get your panties in a wad just yet.   

For individuals- There will be only 1 "real" state champion (real is your word choice - not mine).  HOWEVER- there will now be 16 regions spread across the state, and the top 4 from each region will qualify for a 64 man tournament (I also believe 64 state qualifiers per weight class is more than we have ever had before- so look at me go on pushing out that 'state qualifier' patch to put on little Johnny's new letterman's jacket).  With this 64 man bracket- I get to bring back my 3 day tournament- as me maximizing my profits in ticket sales is all I really care about after all.  But, with 16  regions spread out across the state, we should be able to easily divide everyone up logistically and eliminate parents taking 2 hour drives for regions or sectionals.

Now bear with me as I sit and come up with a plan for the girls- because their stuff is more jacked up than the boys as it sits currently.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sx1234 said:

Guys, I think I should just take over and run things.

State duals would be divided into 5 classifications:  

Private School would keep their current split- however 8 teams would qualify for each division.

Public School would be split into 3 divisions: A for schools under 800 students, AA for schools between 801 and 1499 students, and AAA for schools with 1500+ enrollment (As I slowly takeover power in TSSAA this 3 division split system will become uniform for ALL sports- no more teams competing in 5A football and 1A wrestling- this kills me personally).  Each of these divisions will have 16 teams qualify for state duals.

This system will produce more state champions, and more teams qualifying than it ever has before.  Why do we need need 64 total teams at state duals?  Because I need to make more money, of course! 

Now you wrestling purists- don't get your panties in a wad just yet.   

For individuals- There will be only 1 "real" state champion (real is your word choice - not mine).  HOWEVER- there will now be 16 regions spread across the state, and the top 4 from each region will qualify for a 64 man tournament (I also believe 64 state qualifiers per weight class is more than we have ever had before- so look at me go on pushing out that 'state qualifier' patch to put on little Johnny's new letterman's jacket).  With this 64 man bracket- I get to bring back my 3 day tournament- as me maximizing my profits in ticket sales is all I really care about after all.  But, with 16  regions spread out across the state, we should be able to easily divide everyone up logistically and eliminate parents taking 2 hour drives for regions or sectionals.

Now bear with me as I sit and come up with a plan for the girls- because their stuff is more jacked up than the boys as it sits currently.

If anything, the girls is simpler. One classification, one champion. Not sure what is jacked up about the girls division other than we need more girls competing to later have arguments over how many classifications we should have....

Edited by JSamson7

With very few exceptions,  the more participants a sport has,  the more classifications it will have. This is true for both team and individual sports. 

I get the desire to crown 1 and only one state champion but take that thought and expand it to football. If TSSAA did exactly that,  one state champion for all schools.

Do you think participation would grow or contract? 

Answer honestly

IMO only a handful of well heeled teams would be capable of competing for a title. Rich get richer and poor get poorer. That's exactly what I think would happen, and kids would lose opportunities. Some programs would fold up. With less schools participating,  less programs that have excitement around them and fewer well run programs there would be less developed athletes.  All that potential,  gone unused.  I'm trying to get people to think holistically about the sport. 

For a sport where everyone says it's about the journey,  getting better,  competing against yourself... there are a lot here that are more concerned with trophies than the sport. 

Edited by TotallynotLEO
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

With very few exceptions,  the more participants a sport has,  the more classifications it will have. This is true for both team and individual sports. 

I get the desire to crown 1 and only one state champion but take that thought and expand it to football. If TSSAA did exactly that,  one state champion for all schools.

Do you think participation would grow or contract? 

Answer honestly

IMO only a handful of well heeled teams would be capable of competing for a title. Rich get richer and poor get poorer. That's exactly what I think would happen, and kids would lose opportunities. Some programs would fold up. With less schools participating,  less programs that have excitement around them and fewer well run programs there would be less developed athletes.  All that potential,  gone unused.  I'm trying to get people to think holistically about the sport. 

For a sport where everyone says it's about the journey,  getting better,  competing against yourself... there are a lot here that are more concerned with trophies than the sport. 

California has the single most kids participating in the sport and has 1 state title. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ummmno said:

California has the single most kids participating in the sport and has 1 state title. 

With very few exceptions 

I was speaking about sports in general but was hoping that would come up. Participation in California has dropped from over 27k kids wrestling in 2013 to just over 19k. A 30% decline in the last 10 years.  

TN has about 4100 wrestlers for comparison. 

Tn population  7m

Ca population  39m

Ca is 5.57 times our size but only has just has 4.7 times our wrestlers.  

Per capita, we have a higher participation rate than Ca. 

Edited by TotallynotLEO
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

If anything, the girls is simpler. One classification, one champion. Not sure what is jacked up about the girls division other than we need more girls competing to later have arguments over how many classifications we should have....

Region 1 scrambling to make a two-day region tournament on a Wednesday, that started that Thursday, was pretty bad.  Especially for the parents that were driving from multiple hours away to make a 4 o'clock weigh-in.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TotallynotLEO said:

With very few exceptions 

I was speaking about sports in general but was hoping that would come up. Participation in California has dropped from over 27k kids wrestling in 2013 to just over 19k. A 30% decline in the last 10 years.  

TN has about 4100 wrestlers for comparison. 

Tn population  7m

Ca population  39m

Ca is 5.57 times our size but only has just has 4.7 times our wrestlers.  

Per capita, we have a higher participation rate than Ca. 

Nah, you said the more kids participating the more divisions they'll have. Population aside, California has more kids participating in the sport and only has one division. 

2 hours ago, sx1234 said:

Region 1 scrambling to make a two-day region tournament on a Wednesday, that started that Thursday, was pretty bad.  Especially for the parents that were driving from multiple hours away to make a 4 o'clock weigh-in.

I think they told us on a Tuesday, but the tournament was moved to Thursday & Friday as you said. Everything else has been relatively smooth from my experience. 

Edited by JSamson7