All State

fooseball95

On 5/4/2023 at 1:42 PM, rideOut said:

Your logic isn't sound, you aren't considering multiple variables which is there is varying levels of competition and the 13 Halls kids didn't only wrestle against the Pigeon Forge, Greeneville, and Soddy kids at state, they wrestle against kids that qualify from various other teams. So they did have an advantage by qualifying more wrestlers even if those "soft" wrestlers only won one or two matches. Those points add up to a usually very tight A-AA individual state tournament team score race. Sometimes they do get "smoked" as you say but the 12 out of the 16 wrestlers per bracket win at least one match, so chances are they will earn extra points that can make a difference when its all said and done.

rideout, you can't talk to someone that doesn't have common sense or doesn't want to actually think! 27 state placers with Sectional that Soddy/PF and Signal are in. There were 21 from the sectional with Greeneville/Halls are in. I would almost bet that those 3 teams (SD,SM and PF) would be in the top 5-6 best teams in the entire state and they are over here facing each other to try and qualify kids to the state tourney. I mean the second best team in that sectional was Gibbs and both Signal and Soddy beat them, I would like to have seen a dual between Gibbs and PF because I think PF would have won that also. I think state-wise it would have been Halls(proved to be the best team in the state), Signal, Soddy, PF, Fairview, Gibbs, Page, Greeneville, Tullahoma.  Also as you said, with 16 kids in the bracket and placing back 6 places, most likely most of the 13 will at least win 1 match during the tournament even if they are not as strong as some of the others on the team because again not all regions are created equal. 32% of all placers came from Sectional 2. It goes to 57% with just section 1 and 2 combined. I mean I am not stating Halls wasnt the best team, they proved that with a state duals win over BOTH Signal and Soddy. What I am saying is that a "team" individual title is a joke because so many factors go into that compared to actual team strength.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TotallynotLEO said:

I bet you're fun at parties. 

Honestly,  you sound bitter, petty  and toxic.  Like one of those guys that gets wound up and argues for the sake of arguing. Calling out Sid Mason, calling kids accomplishments a joke.  Telling kids their medals are worthless.  Take a step back man,  it's high school wrestling.  

1. Halls sectional 1

2. Signal mountain sectional 2

3. PF sectional 2

4. Greeneville sectional 1

5. Fairview sectional 4

6. SD sectional 2

7. Gibbs sectional 1

8. Green Hill sectional 3

9. Sycamore sectional 4

10. Page sectional 3

Looks like a pretty even split to me for sectionals 1 and 2. Each had 3 in the top 10. Halls wrestlers had to get through Greeneville and Gibbs. SM had to get through SD and PF. Based on results,  it doesn't look like Halls was in such a weak sectional.  They beat SD and SM heads up in Duals,  so why is this such an issue?  With PF moving to region 2 next year,  Page, Green Hill and Halls changing to AA next year's titles are Soddy's to lose.  Clear favorites, anything less than a clean sweep of regions, sectionals,  state duals, and tournament title are an underperformance. But, since those don't matter to you,  we don't expect to see you on here next year happy about any of those since they're all (in your words)  worthless and a joke. 

Again did you even take a look at the layout of placers? Greeneville as a team isnt as good as Soddy, they had some HAMMERS(Mr. Mason's son being one of them) but the rest of their team sorry is not up to par as with some of those others. Head to head they don't get past Soddy, they don't get past PF even and they most likely ALSO get beat by Fairview who finished ahead of Soddy in this "team" race where Soddy beat them not once but twice.  So yeah Team scores in an individual tournament are a joke, but I see you have no common sense! 

Also if Sid Mason takes offense to the fact his teams accomplishments were not as a team but their individual hammers actually accomplishing their goals I don't know what else to tell you. Greeneville won the individual "team" title but got beat by Signal who won 8 straight weights in a row before forfeiting the rest starting with his son's weight and losing by 3. They went on to win the individual by like 56 points. Tells me all I need to know about what a "team" title for an individual tournament actually means. A team is a whole, not a bunch of studs that can carry them in an individual tournament and that is the difference between TEAM accomplishments and individual ones.  Congrats to Sid's son Hunter and continued well wishes on his future at Virginia Tech. I do hope those studs from there can bring back some AA's for TN wrestling, we have been in a desert of AA's for 15 years, so hopefully Hunter, Kodiak and Colin can bring some of those back to this great state! 

Why does it matter.  

I know a kid who started wrestling in 6th grade.  He was overweight,  little to no athletic ability and was bullied. He won 3 matches his first 2 years.  By his 8th grade year he did better and was above .500 for the year. Didn't place at AAU state but stayed after it. Freshman year of hs wrestled some varsity here and there but got beat pretty regularly. Worked hard in the off session and lost weight, gained muscle,  did a summer club for wrestling.  Soph year he was a full weight class lower.  He took a step forward,  won a lot more than he lost.  Suffered a devastating knee injury at the end of the season.  Rehabbed and got to work as soon as he could.  Spent a summer in the weight room and wrestled the end of the summer as soon as he was cleared. He had quit growing and was pretty lean by now.  He had made himself into an athlete.  He isn't the best on the team,  by far,  but he's the hardest worker and has had to push harder than the naturally athletic guys just to get to this point. His Jr year shows him he can compete now.  He wins quite a few tough matches against kids that used to beat him.  He still loses to the really good ones though.  He didn't take 1st in any tournaments but had a good year.  Summer before his Sr year he wrestled club again,  maybe 30 matches over the summer.  Spent a lot of time in the gym. Sr year he never wins 1st in any tournaments but beats a lot of kids,  some of them are really good kids he looked up to.  He ends up with a 4th place finish at state and is thrilled to finally be on the podium in his Sr year.  He's the best version of himself that he could have been through hard work.  He knows that it's just "small school" but he also knows what it took for him to get here.  He's wrestled the kids from the big schools,  he beat some of them but knows he would lose to some of them too. He knows the score.  That doesn't diminish his joy though.  All his hard work paid off. In middle school when he was fat, bullied and didn't win anything he never could have imagined he'd be on the podium. He's smiling from ear to ear.  

Now comes an adult coach that says to the kid your medal is a joke. 

These kids read these boards too. What does this say about you as an adult if you're that guy?  The above is based on real events.  I watched that kid become the best version of himself he could possibly be.  And that version was 4th at small school.  He isn't my kid if you're wondering,  just someone I know. He went on to get a job in the trades as a lineman.  That's probably the reality for the vast majority of these kids.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TotallynotLEO said:

Why does it matter.  

I know a kid who started wrestling in 6th grade.  He was overweight,  little to no athletic ability and was bullied. He won 3 matches his first 2 years.  By his 8th grade year he did better and was above .500 for the year. Didn't place at AAU state but stayed after it. Freshman year of hs wrestled some varsity here and there but got beat pretty regularly. Worked hard in the off session and lost weight, gained muscle,  did a summer club for wrestling.  Soph year he was a full weight class lower.  He took a step forward,  won a lot more than he lost.  Suffered a devastating knee injury at the end of the season.  Rehabbed and got to work as soon as he could.  Spent a summer in the weight room and wrestled the end of the summer as soon as he was cleared. He had quit growing and was pretty lean by now.  He had made himself into an athlete.  He isn't the best on the team,  by far,  but he's the hardest worker and has had to push harder than the naturally athletic guys just to get to this point. His Jr year shows him he can compete now.  He wins quite a few tough matches against kids that used to beat him.  He still loses to the really good ones though.  He didn't take 1st in any tournaments but had a good year.  Summer before his Sr year he wrestled club again,  maybe 30 matches over the summer.  Spent a lot of time in the gym. Sr year he never wins 1st in any tournaments but beats a lot of kids,  some of them are really good kids he looked up to.  He ends up with a 4th place finish at state and is thrilled to finally be on the podium in his Sr year.  He's the best version of himself that he could have been through hard work.  He knows that it's just "small school" but he also knows what it took for him to get here.  He's wrestled the kids from the big schools,  he beat some of them but knows he would lose to some of them too. He knows the score.  That doesn't diminish his joy though.  All his hard work paid off. In middle school when he was fat, bullied and didn't win anything he never could have imagined he'd be on the podium. He's smiling from ear to ear.  

Now comes an adult coach that says to the kid your medal is a joke. 

These kids read these boards too. What does this say about you as an adult if you're that guy?  The above is based on real events.  I watched that kid become the best version of himself he could possibly be.  And that version was 4th at small school.  He isn't my kid if you're wondering,  just someone I know. He went on to get a job in the trades as a lineman.  That's probably the reality for the vast majority of these kids.  

yeah, feels great I am sure, but if your self worth is based on a medal from a sport I feel for them! I can tell you my story, started wrestling as a 7th grader in middle school because there was no 6th grade in middle, 6th was still elementary. I played basketball and baseball and did well at most of those and started wrestling as a 7th grader because my uncle was a really good wrestler and multi time state placer when they only had 1 division. So I stopped basketball and played a little baseball and wrestled. Never did wrestle varsity, was a pudgy kid that also had a speech impediment and got picked on for both. Got into high school never wrestling a varsity match and wrestled 3 years there in high school as a JV wrestler while also playing and kind of sucking at football. Wrestled a few varsity matches on and off against smaller schools or one's without very good wrestlers and that was full experience for 3 years. As a senior during wrestle offs beating the kid and had an asthma attack while winning and got pinned because of it. Went to the Dr and was diagnosed with stress and exercise induced asthma, had to go under the bleachers before each match and smoke on the peace pipe as Henry called it(nebulizer). Came back to win wrestle offs many times after and continued to wrestle varsity for the team. Had an ok year, I think I won maybe 2 more matches than I lost. Got to regions and wrestled Josh Ward in the finals, got tech falled I think it was. I had spent the entire summer before senior year in the gym, I had friends some of which had already graduate come in and wrestle with me, doing man in the middle and absolutely just beating on me, I tried FS and GR down at McCallie getting thrown around like a ragdoll by a few champs from Georgia who decided to drive up. I quit football and concentrated on wrestling and trying my best for that senior year. Won my first match over a kid from Kirby, was winning my second match when i was elbowed in the head when i went in for a shot, don't remember much after that once i ran out of injury time I remember getting pinned and that was with 8 seconds left. I wrestled first round of conso the next day, beat a kid from MLK badly and beat a region champ from Maryville before wrestling a kid from David Lipscomb. Had him pinned in the first period, Coach Leen was standing there asking the ref whatever else did he want, kid finally got himself out of bounds and proceeded to thrash me for the rest of the match, beating me 15-5 in the blood round. He went on to finish 3rd and the guy that beat my in the 2nd round finished 4th. Ward finished 2nd to Hoover from Bradley that I had wrestled in JV for years. I mean maybe I can say I was a 4th place finisher LOL. I mean even if Soddy counted as a large school at that time, large school kids finished 1, 5th and 6th. Small school kids finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. I think Lipscomb had like 4-5 kids total, that kid McInteer (a lawyer I think in Nashville) was a beast lost 7-6 to Hoover in quarters(another example of sometimes the finals matches happen before the finals). Overall I wished things had went different and no medals that I have and I do have a few make any difference in who I became. The sport itself is what changed me and being there for both only 1 division and 2 also let me see the changes that took place and I don't think were all for the better of the health of wrestling. You can say that takes away accomplishments of kids but the giving out participation trophies is what has made the generation now into what they have become which is 25-30 years old sitting in their parents basement and still not moved out. Might not be what you think, but I tried to help coach 2 different teams in 2 different states that won state titles. My soccer teams have also done very very well as have both my kids in that sport and if not for soccer I would be back in a wrestling room in a second. And just for a reference, you can ask Coach Henry, we got 3rd my senior year after getting beat in semi's by criteria by Clarksville. Coach Henry said that 2nd is like kissing your sister, so just imagine what 3rd is like. I don't think we ever saw that 3rd place trophy again. At that time that was not the goal was 3rd or 4th or even 2nd. He's prob glad he left when he did and I would love to hear his thoughts on all the splits now. 

On 5/10/2023 at 12:31 AM, TotallynotLEO said:

I think I ran into someone you know.  I can't remember if it was your boys grandpa or Colin's.  He's almost deaf,  at a market in Pigeon forge.  Super nice guy and as proud of a grandfather as I've ever seen.  

That would be my dad and yes he’s very proud. Ha ha 

12 hours ago, Mason422 said:

That would be my dad and yes he’s very proud. Ha ha 

Sid, some people have no idea how fluid wrestling can be. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Greeneville had a 2 time state placer, a Senior in the middle weights who did not come out this year, and a two time state placer a Junior who was favored to win States at 220 was injured before regions. No excuses here, it is part of the sport. It just represents the fluidity of a sport. Who gets hit by injuries, quitting and transfers next year, only the gods of wrestling know.

Edited by noonesfool