All State

fooseball95

On 5/11/2023 at 10:41 AM, noonesfool said:

Sid, some people have no idea how fluid wrestling can be. Please correct me if I’m wrong. Greeneville had a 2 time state placer, a Senior in the middle weights who did not come out this year, and a two time state placer a Junior who was favored to win States at 220 was injured before regions. No excuses here, it is part of the sport. It just represents the fluidity of a sport. Who gets hit by injuries, quitting and transfers next year, only the gods of wrestling know.

It was a rough year for Greeneville in that respect but it’s all good.  We did our best and sometimes it just doesn’t go our way.  I would have like to seen what we could have done with a semi healthy team. 

26 minutes ago, Mason422 said:

It was a rough year for Greeneville in that respect but it’s all good.  We did our best and sometimes it just doesn’t go our way.  I would have like to seen what we could have done with a semi healthy team. 

A lot talking heads have no have no idea how fragile a wrestling team is. I’m looking forward to following Hunter as he continues his grappling journey at Virginia tech. The best thing about wrestling is relationships. 

5 hours ago, noonesfool said:

A lot talking heads have no have no idea how fragile a wrestling team is. I’m looking forward to following Hunter as he continues his grappling journey at Virginia tech. The best thing about wrestling is relationships. 

In what way is a wrestling team fragile?  Wrestling like most all other things is a people and relationships business.  

On 5/13/2023 at 10:15 AM, noonesfool said:

Thanks for keeping up my my son.  I appreciate it 

12 hours ago, cbg said:

Ok

@cbg I usually agree with you on most things and always respect your opinion. So I wanted to ask if you could elaborate please? I am a proponent of there being classifications, but I am sure you have a valid rationale behind why you want one division, so maybe you can change mine and others opinions.

For me, I just go back to the fact that some schools have clear built-in advantages that other schools don't. For instance, Baylor and McCallie can put a kid on that mat at the state tournament from ANYWHERE across the GLOBE. How many out of state kids move to Greenback HS (smallest public school) for wrestling? 

I would also add that schools like Baylor, McCallie, Cleveland, Father Ryan, MBA (you get the point), etc. have college level facilities/coaches and financial backing that a school like Cascade HS will never have. There's a reason why Steve Logsdon never wrestled teams like McCallie and Baylor when he was at the helm at Bradley... and they were great!

Classifications are there for a reason even in individual sports like wrestling. It's all about trying to trying provide a somewhat even playing field. You can't expect teams from 95% of these public schools to be able to consistently compete with the private schools. Some of these schools like Baylor, McCallie, MBA, etc. are some of the best schools in the entire country.  

28 minutes ago, cowcatcherII said:

Some of these schools like Baylor, McCallie, MBA, etc. are some of the best schools in the entire country.  

Baylor, McCallie and MBA are not some of the best teams in the entire country. 

Only one of the three has an argument for being the best in the state. 

Do you think people in California or NJ complain about Bergan Cath or Buchannon or Gilroy or Delbarton or Clovis being at the top? Do you think they complain about how not fair it is? 

No. They recognize the achievement of beating them for state titles. Also, those teams are some of the best schools in the country. Any one of them smokes Baylor or Cleveland. 

Coincidence? 

2 hours ago, Ummmno said:

Baylor, McCallie and MBA are not some of the best teams in the entire country. 

Only one of the three has an argument for being the best in the state. 

Do you think people in California or NJ complain about Bergan Cath or Buchannon or Gilroy or Delbarton or Clovis being at the top? Do you think they complain about how not fair it is 

Message boards are full of people complaining about the private schools in NJ and PA. heck,  Bishop McCort got a 2 year postseason ban for... recruiting.  

And people were cheering for it. 

Edited by TotallynotLEO
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cowcatcherII said:

@cbg I usually agree with you on most things and always respect your opinion. So I wanted to ask if you could elaborate please? I am a proponent of there being classifications, but I am sure you have a valid rationale behind why you want one division, so maybe you can change mine and others opinions.

For me, I just go back to the fact that some schools have clear built-in advantages that other schools don't. For instance, Baylor and McCallie can put a kid on that mat at the state tournament from ANYWHERE across the GLOBE. How many out of state kids move to Greenback HS (smallest public school) for wrestling? 

I would also add that schools like Baylor, McCallie, Cleveland, Father Ryan, MBA (you get the point), etc. have college level facilities/coaches and financial backing that a school like Cascade HS will never have. There's a reason why Steve Logsdon never wrestled teams like McCallie and Baylor when he was at the helm at Bradley... and they were great!

Classifications are there for a reason even in individual sports like wrestling. It's all about trying to trying provide a somewhat even playing field. You can't expect teams from 95% of these public schools to be able to consistently compete with the private schools. Some of these schools like Baylor, McCallie, MBA, etc. are some of the best schools in the entire country.  

My thoughts are part personal and part just an old mans common sense.  As a former public school athlete I was never intimidated by wrestling against private or parochial school kids and to be honest I only ever lost one wrestling match to a private school kid and he was better than me.  Wrestling, swimming, track & field, golf, tennis, etc… are all individual sports and therefore should only crown one champion.  Wrestling in particular is a sport that lends itself more to kids from “Blue Collar” families and kids that are raised on a farm and know the value of hard work which in and of itself are typically public school athletes .  Yes, some of the private schools have better coaches and better facilities but so do some of the public schools.  Life is never going to be completely fair and the sooner that people realize that fact and move forward the better off everyone will be.  Shinny new facilities and uniforms do not win state championships!  Wrestling like most things is a people and relationship business and those individuals that work the hardest are normally the ones that are rewarded at the end of the season.  The public schools across the nation have done little to help themselves and continue to water down both academics and athletics by passing legislation that keeps them from competing against various school types across the country.  Much like when I graduated from a public high school I was forced to compete against private school kids for admission to colleges and jobs with private school graduates.  Competition makes everyone better but most people want to spend their time focusing on fairness instead of out working the competition.  

Edited by cbg
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1