New Free Throw Rules for 2023/24 Season

WestTNHoopsFan

1 hour ago, Random1234 said:

Going to make it even harder for teams to come back when offenses go to the "stall method" 

The team with the lead going into "stall method" wasn't the problem with finishing games in a timely manner...the team trailing sending the other team to the line in hopes to make up the deficit caused games to go long for the last two minutes. No more stopping the clock and hoping for a miss on the front end of a 1-and-1, other than a desperation tactic with little chance of success. Just to clarify, I never complained about it because it sometimes worked out by giving a better chance to the team trailing...just saying that the new rule should speed up the game. 

16 hours ago, tradertwo said:

The team with the lead going into "stall method" wasn't the problem with finishing games in a timely manner...the team trailing sending the other team to the line in hopes to make up the deficit caused games to go long for the last two minutes. No more stopping the clock and hoping for a miss on the front end of a 1-and-1, other than a desperation tactic with little chance of success. Just to clarify, I never complained about it because it sometimes worked out by giving a better chance to the team trailing...just saying that the new rule should speed up the game. 

Until you get an officiating crew that is calling every thing and both teams shooting 2 shots 3 minutes in to the quarters. LOL

I love the reset at the quarter but don't like shooting two on the 5th. Maybe a 1 plus 1 on the 5th and 6th and then 2 on the 7th. The coaches I have talked with all have said the same thing.

9 hours ago, WestTNHoopsFan said:

Until you get an officiating crew that is calling every thing and both teams shooting 2 shots 3 minutes in to the quarters. LOL

I love the reset at the quarter but don't like shooting two on the 5th. Maybe a 1 plus 1 on the 5th and 6th and then 2 on the 7th. The coaches I have talked with all have said the same thing.

I agree, and will add that I didn't see anything "wrong" with the way that it was...the problem is with society's intolerance of anything that they feel doesn't move at their pace. Fans nowadays seem to want the teams to run up and down the floor like Loyola Marymount back in the Paul Westhead/Hank Geathers/Bo Kimball heyday, and become bored with teams who run precision offenses. Good coaches use the rulebook their advantage in any particular situation whether it's "entertaining" to watch or not, and always will (I hope).

5 hours ago, 731Ball said:

I like the rule, but can we please stop acting like high school basketball needs shorter games? It’s 32 minutes of game time which is ridiculous in itself and no games ever last 2 hours.

That is one of the best things I have read on here in a long time. Let the kids play and enjoy the game. It is about the kids. I'm Pretty sure they are not concerned about how fast the game is getting over. 

On 5/23/2023 at 7:30 AM, WestTNHoopsFan said:

That is one of the best things I have read on here in a long time. Let the kids play and enjoy the game. It is about the kids. I'm Pretty sure they are not concerned about how fast the game is getting over. 

Yep I don’t get it. It’s not like 4 hour baseball games. It’s kids competing for 32 short minutes. I’d love a shot clock and the new foul format. Not because of game speed, but because it translates better to the next level.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2023 at 10:34 PM, 731Ball said:

Yep I don’t get it. It’s not like 4 hour baseball games. It’s kids competing for 32 short minutes. I’d love a shot clock and the new foul format. Not because of game speed, but because it translates better to the next level.

The next level that 1% of high school kids will ever play at and that includes ALL levels of college ball.

New format doesn't bother me, but using the "next level" line is absolutely idiotic.

13 minutes ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

The next level that 1% of high school kids will ever play at and that includes ALL levels of college ball.

New format doesn't bother me, but using the "next level" line is absolutely idiotic.

How about every other level of organized basketball on planet earth except for NCAA and NFHS prior to now? Does that work for you Michael? 

On 6/4/2023 at 7:14 PM, HereComesTheCloser said:

South Side ran this offense in 2018-19. It was a blast to watch!

#HawkNation

#HereComesTheCloser

They did at that...scored in the 70's and 80's most games of the season, were very entertaining to watch, and (most importantly) had the personnel to run it. If memory serves me correctly though, South Gibson held them to low 50's and knocked them out of the tournament with a precision ball control offense. The point isn't whether to run that offense or not, just don't keep adjusting the rules to speed up the game for everyone.