FINAL SUMMARY: 1A

WesVLT

First of all,the kids at these private schools are coming from the bigger public schools in urban areas. The public schools will never run as smooth as the private schools because of selected enrollment. If the public schools could select who they wanted to enroll, they could do even better than the private schools. There would also be alot of uneducated people running around. If we all desided to only educate the desirables, what would our world be like in 10 years from now. You talk about crime and wellfare,underaged pregnacy,we would be in a sad shape. We as a whole, are responable to educate every child in America. You don't want to deal with the problems we have because you know its a whole different ballgame,and then you tell us (THE PUBLICS) to just do a better job. Don't you understand how silly that sounds. Lets trade jobs.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some education is better than none at all. Sometimes you can teach them in spite of themselves. Everyone needs to at least be able to read and wtite. A little math comes in handy also. An uneducated society would crumble America. We've got to at least try or go back to the wild west. Biggest meanest survives. Check out the slums and see how they opperate. Prisons won't hold them all and we can't afford to keep them up' We better educate.

I never suggested that we have no education; I just contend that the current system isn't working, and that the way to fix that is to get schools into the hands of local administrators and parents and out of the hands of the federal government.

Many people would argue that America is crumbling already. Everyone needs to be able to read and write, that's true, but you're the one who is constantly suggesting that your school has unwilling students.

And I don't think you can teach them "in spite of themselves" but you can pat yourself on the back and act like you did.

Posted by pujo:

Some education is better than none at all. Sometimes you can teach them in spite of themselves. Everyone needs to at least be able to read and wtite. A little math comes in handy also. An uneducated society would crumble America. We've got to at least try or go back to the wild west. Biggest meanest survives. Check out the slums and see how they opperate. Prisons won't hold them all and we can't afford to keep them up' We better educate.

The same type of kids are in every public school in America. I think the system is failing as a whole ,but for alot of us ,its the only system we've got. Private schools are filling the need and I,m glad they are. We've got real good students and then we,ve got the bad ones. Were just like all public schools except for one thing,were in a good area. Don't have no where near the problems as the urban schools do.

Pujo,

I agre with you train of thought. The education problem in TN is primarily an urban one. Half of the failing schools in TN are in Memphis. If TN were still a rural state dominated by community schools like Cloudland and Collinwood, there would be very few private schools and those would be the elite prep schools like MBA and McCallie.

For example, there are four high schools in Wilson Co. Three of the h/s are urban, 1200+ students (Mt. Juliet, Central and Lebanon). The fourth is Watertown which has 400 or so students. If you ask most people with inside knowledge of the Wilson Co. school system, they will tell you that Watertown is by far the best school in the system. Watertown doesn't have the largest selection of advanced classes or the greatest sports programs, but they do the best job of educating kids. The school is run with iron clad discipline and basic rural TN values. As an education, it offers everything most private school parents are looking for except, perhaps, a Christian underpinning. Given a choice, most private school parents would choose a Watertown over a DCA because, in addition to being a quality education in a safe, disciplined environment, it is also free!

You are also correct in your assessment of Cloudland. You guys have a great situation there. In my opinion, your kids could not match the wonderful situation they have in Cloudland if they were offered a free education at a high priced New York prep school! ;):):)

Pujo,

I agree with your train of thought too. You should educate everyone...that's why we are paying those teachers the big bucks. But also telling those same kids that they are not on the same playing field as other teams is wrong. We aren't as good as them, they are superior in the classroom and on the field so we shall play our own kind...they are more desirable than you, they work harder then you, they are smarter then you, they are richer then you, they are more ethical then you etc. Obviously those things aren't true all the time.

I have a problem with splitting people up because of viewpoints like that, but that is just me.

I don't necessarily want a split either. I think a multiplier would work. I am not saying that all the kids in the public schools are not as good as the ones in privates either. The truth of the matter is however, that if you take a private school with 300 kids and a public school with 300 kids their will be differences because the 300 at the private school are picked to go there. They are all going to do well because their parents are not going to pay that kind of money for them to fail, they can do that anywhere. The kids, are more teachable and coachable and their parents are more into what's going on for whatever reason. They may have more time, money etc. A lot of the public school parents work long hours, at hard labor jobs, and a lot of the kids also have to work and can't hit the weights or practice like they need to. If these advantages did not exist you would not see the privates dominating the 1a and 2a in all sports. Their is a difference.

Posted by divepix:

Moonie,

First of all, 2 of the 7 championships only private schools can win because they are private school divisions. Of the other 5, 2 were won by private schools, so what is your beef? My point is that segregation should not occur due to a perceived advantage if the game is being played by the rules of football with kids who are all legitimate high schoolers. Again, what is the excuse you use for Riverdale, Maryville, and other public schools who dominate? Our society is too full of people who place the blame on their circumstances on others, rather than doing what it takes to achieve, excel, and overcome on their own efforts.

The public / private split forced on our kids by adults (and underachieving coaching staffs) tells our kids that the way to be a winner is to segregate yourself from those you think have an advantage. They will never become winners in life living that way.

So, divepix, what you are saying is; If there are private schools in the classification, they are dominating. Is that a correct assessment of your post?

In answer to RHS. I brought that 3,4,5a thing up because someone else mentioned it. Apparently you didn't notice that someone thought privates won more state championships then publics did. Anyway, that wasn't my point. Apparently that was all you saw. My point was, and it's being talked about, is that if the public schools did better with education, then parents wouldn't want to spend the money to send their kids to a private school because their kid would be getting just as good of an education at the public school they were zoned for. Since this is more of an urban problem then a rural, kids from bigger schools are going to the smaller private ones. Selective enrollment isn't nescessary. Some privates may do it, but it isn't nescessary because of this. I know for a fact that Boyd has no room in the school to do selective enrollment because the school is pretty much filled to the max. Athletes will be in the mix coming to private schools. So all the small rural publics definately are going to have trouble with the private schools because of the players coming in. Like I said before, if the education in urban public schools, then parents aren't gonna waste the money to send them to a private school that offers the same thing as the public. Then the privates will not be nearly as dominate as they are right now.