History of Nashville Football - Question

BDURHAM

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The school system in Metro had more than 90,000 students at the time of the "great social experiment"----BUSING. It has recently just got back to 70,000. The creation of the large mega-schools and the destruction of the community schools basically doomed Metro as a viable education product. Many families fled the county, many students flocked to the newly-created private schools, and Metro blindly went on down the path to oblivion with the "comprehensive high school concept" and time wasting bus rides for middle and elementary students.

Now........the Metro school board in its infinite wisdom has decided that we need to go back to community schools..........WELL DUUUUH!!!! I am sorry but it may be too little too late........they are gone and they are not coming back.

What is amazing to me, is that some political activists still refuse to admit that the " busing orders" mandated by the Federal government is the worst social experiment ever foisted upon human-kind. It killed community schools both black and white, and killed community support as a result. :)

[Edited by coach763 on 12-20-02 5:26P]

Coach763,

I could not agree more. Just reading this post saddens me.

Irrepreparable damage was done to all communities, black and white. The ol' NIL was filled with great traditions that provided a foundation of stability for the communities. I can remember watching the great rivalries of the early sixties. Dupont, Donelson, Two Rivers, Litton; It gave me a goal, a dream if you will, to follow in the footsteps of those young athletes. They were in our neighborhoods, at the swimming pool, at the drive thru at Shoney's; wearing their letter jackets like polished suits of armor. I longed to be part of that tradition. But when it came my turn, the tradition had been destroyed. Destroyed by those so arrogant they made life changing decisions about our community from 1000 miles away without even bothering to come visit first. The kind of arrogance bred by unchecked power; the power to rule from the bench with no accountability to the voting populace. The Founding Fathers would not have stood for such and would have been dismayed at the thought of Americans being subjected to such abuse by their government. It was the kind of decision one would have expected from Louis XIV of France or Nicholas I of Russia. And, as with Louis and Nicholas voiceless subjects, we paid and continue to pay the price. :(:D:(:D:(

1. What was Whites Creek's original nickname?

2. Donelson was the Dons, but what were they originally?

3. Who was Two Rivers only football coach?

4. What 3 schools outside Metro were in the NIL

5. Before TPS.......it was T_S. What is the nickname?

6. Howard High was the Rebels. What were there colors?

7. Before desegregation, there was Pearl, Cameron, Haynes as black schools....can you name the 4th one and what was its nickmame?

8. Joelton and West had the same mascot....Name it?

9. Who was the "pro" coach that coached at old Litton?

10. Tom Moore of Green Bay fame played at what school?

If you can answer these, you know your NIL history. :D

[Edited by coach763 on 12-22-02 8:38A]

Guest cole703

I have been told several times that when Bill Purcell (mayor of Nasvhille) was running for office he pledged to open an new Bellevue High School, is this true? Bellevue and the Hermitage area are the fastest growning areas in Nashville and could support their own high schools.

Guys, appreciate any more NIL knowledge and you are so right about the breakup of our neighborhood schools. I can't think of one good thing that came from busing, while we're all able to make an endless list of the bad it caused. Where was the common sense when all this came down?

......ON ANOTHER NOTE.....How was the NIL aligned? It seems like their were too many teams for one 'division', was it broken into 'divisions'? Were there official playoffs? Was any 'commissioner type' position in charge?