franklin tournement

wrestlerguy

Look gatling all i wanted to know was the individual results at the franklin tournement. Mostly i just wanted to know if Dusty Griffen and Jeff Ball wrestled at 145. And for collercrap wow face clarksville, and i guarranty you will get beat so dont go bragging because you won some tournement that meant nothing. and im through. East tennessee has all the right to talk until one of there teams gets wooped by some other west or middle tennessee team. Bradley is number 1 and when your number one you can talk all u want.

[Edited by wrestlerguy on 1-2-03 2:49P]

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrestlerguy, I could not get to the Sunday Tennessean box scores for the Franklin Tournament. To answer your specific question - Ball did not weigh in and Dusty Griffin went home sick after one match. The 145 finals featured Brentwood versus Collierville. Collierville won. The text of Rob Sherril's article in the Tennessean follows:

Sometimes the most interesting part of a wrestling tournament is not only who shows up, but who doesn't.

Defections due to vacations and illness left some weight classes in yesterday's Franklin Invitational relatively decimated. So some wrestlers who have gotten less than their share of attention over the season's first month gladly grabbed the spotlight in the only wrestling event to take place in Tennessee this weekend.

They included a pair of freshman champions, Page's Joseph Pair (103-pound weight class) and Brentwood High's Kellen Holliman (125), as well as Centennial senior Adam Moyer, who won the tournament's toughest weight class, 171 pounds, despite being seeded only fourth.

Pair improved to 20-0 with five takedowns in a 10-7 victory over Franklin's Russ Runyeon.

In one of the final round's top matches, Holliman and Franklin's Brad Felix traded takedowns in the first six minutes, with Felix tying the match for the second time with a takedown in the final 25 seconds of regulation.

In the overtime, Holliman (18-5), who won the prestigious Bradley Central Invitational last weekend, scrambled out of a Felix takedown attempt, countering with a headlock and the winning takedown 16 seconds into overtime for a 6-4 victory.

Felix had pinned Holliman in the Kenwood Tournament earlier in the month, and the two could wrestle each other as many as five more times before the end of the season.

''I knew if I could get some openings, I could take some shots,'' Holliman said. ''I shot in and he caught me. I had to keep my hips low, and I kind of got lucky on that one the way it turned out.''

''[Holliman and Felix] have wrestled five times since middle school, and that's the first time Kellen's beaten him,'' Brentwood Coach Joe Blair said.

With Bobby Musser (140) and Chris Cochran (152) adding titles, Brentwood put together its best tournament performance this season.

Holliman's win made the difference for the Bruins as they nipped Franklin 139-131 for second place in the 18-team event.

Collierville, which placed nine wrestlers in the top four and had four champions, romped to the team title with 210.5 points.

''This is the first time this season we've been able to get more than eight guys in the lineup for a tournament, and that made a lot of difference for us,'' said Blair, who put 11 wrestlers on the mat yesterday. ''It's nice to finish ahead of Franklin, but I really can't say we're better than they are right now.''

Franklin took the mat without standout 140-pounder Bond Davis as well as 119-pounder Charlie Warfield, who withdrew from the tournament after defaulting his opening match with a a respiratory condition.

So Rebels sophomore Joel Konz made the most of his chance. Konz, who dropped to 130 pounds from 135 for the first time, won the title and was voted the tournament's Outstanding Wrestler in the lower weights.

''You look at all the problems we've had the past couple of days with injuries and weight, and third place really isn't bad,'' Franklin Coach Jon Hill said.

Collierville, ranked No. 18 in Tennessee, kept up the momentum it gained in Friday's dual-meet competition. The Dragons, who recorded blowout wins over the host Rebels, Brentwood Academy and BGA on Friday, got titles from Shawn Speroff (112), David Hunt (119), Nick Rogers (135) and Jason Claney (145).

Speroff scored a hard-fought 8-5 victory over fellow sophomore Mike Ortiz of Franklin in the title match, avenging a 4-3 Ortiz victory in their Friday dual meet.

Moyer's weight class, however, was as tough as advertised with four state qualifiers.

After a first-round bye, Moyer (22-3), who weighed in at just 164 pounds, beat Wilson Central's David Foster 9-3 in the quarterfinals. He then dumped top-seeded Dale Zigelsky of Battle Ground Academy 10-4 in the semifinals and used a second-period escape and takedown for the winning points in a 6-5 victory over second-seeded Adam Valentine of David Lipscomb in the title match.

Moyer credited some advice he received from former Centennial wrestler Dave Chambless between sessions yesterday.

''Dave showed me a couple of things that I was able to use, and they worked,'' Moyer said. ''He told me that if I wrestle a tournament mistake-free all the way through, I can win it.''

Say what you want about West TN wrestling, they are coming. Collierville spent two solid weeks in Middle Tn taking on all comers in Franklin, Clarksville (Rossview), and Ryan-and were more than very respectable. Christian Brothers has not backed from any competition either. Neither has Houston. They are all getting good seasoning for Chattanooga in Feb. Should bode well for all.