New Memphis Arena

Yes. It has been under construction for about six months or so. It will be at Third and Linden, about four blocks from AutoZone Park and two blocks from Peabody Place.

FedEx bought naming rights and will call it FedExForum.

There aren't any good keep-up-with-the-construction sites for it, but here's what I could find:

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/fedexforum/

http://www.newmemphisarena.com/index.asp has some designs and everything like that.

I didnt know it would seat 18,500.

That is a lot more then I thought it would...most NBA arenas are not that big...actually they want around 15,000 capacity I hear. They think about 14,000 a game would be great...and I know at some places they struggle sometimes with about 6,000 a game. I am glad they made it 18K or so...I think we will still have problems attracting an SEC tournament or something like that...but we could definitely host a women's tournament or possibly some more NCAA tournament games for men and women.

• 2 weeks later...

SI has a good article on Jerry West and a pic of him on the site during the ground-breaking...the move to Memphis might be the best thing that every happened to the Grizz, especially with J. West making the decisions...now Hubie Brown...I don't know how long that can last, but it's doing better than I would have thought...I almost thought the Grizz were going to get into the LeBron James lottery early.

Posted by coacht:

I've lost track on this: are they building a new arena in Memphis, for the Grizzlies?