coach. Sounded like the core players are leaving the team

and TNFC.

What's going on with TNFC, this is like the 4th or 5th team

to bust up?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although Parent Coaches is generally considered a mistake for most teams - it is not always the case. Package Products Express from Franklin won 3 state championships with 2 parent coaches. The team got along wonderfully, parents, players, coaches. I have also experienced non parent coaches at the select level that have had teams break up.

It all depends on the individual - whether they are a parent or not.

If I'm correct about the parent coach in this case - it doesn't suprise me at all that there are problems. He has demonstrated a similar weakness in coaching when he has a child on the team at the high school level.

Too bad for the girls - they were a strong team to represent middle tenn and the state in spite of the coach.

:D

Faninthestands, what do you mean by the following, I heard

the problem was somewhat related to his kid and a few others

that were playing more that some really good players. The

non-parent coach confronted him about it and was fired....

so the better players are leaving. Isn't this guy the

President of TNFC?

"If I'm correct about the parent coach in this case - it doesn't suprise me at all that there are problems. He has demonstrated a similar weakness in coaching when he has a child on the team at the high school level."

It's amazing what an individual's ego will lead them to do.

"There is no I in T E A M."

He should show some integrity and step aside, let the kids

enjoy playing and to continue to develop under the non-parent coach.

TNFC does have a coaching director. There is now a rule that parents cannot coach but it is being phased in applied at the lower levels. This was obviously done to satisfy

parents (coaches) who were already coaching a team. Unfortunately it will take awhile before it is fully implemented. :)

How can this coaching director allow this to happen regardless.

I heard he was going to coach the team now and he already

has a team of boys and all of the TNFC coaches to work with.

Is this guy SUPERMAN or what?

Also the boys team he coaches is for one of the other board

members........oh man it just keeps getting better.

TNFC members better take a close look at this major, major

CONFLICT OF INTEREST>>>>>>>> :rolleyes:

TDJ85, sounds like both parent coaches and board members

need to step back and be honest.

Play, most businesses have a conflict of interest policy,

wonder if TNFC has one, duh....I bet these two "ego dads"

don't want one, huh?

Can't they see what they're are doing to their kid, let

alone everyone elses kid on the teams or in the club. :D

Unfortunately most parents and board members do not know how a club should be run. It has been a problem since it was formed 3 or 4 years ago. We have a long way to go to catch up with VA,NC,GA & FL. It's a mindset in TN that is going to be slow to change. Hopefully for the kids sake it happens soon.

OK, I am going to wade in on this subject. I am not going to discuss the specific incident under consideration as I have no first hand knowledge of TNFC 88 and just do not have a dog in that fight. However, I am a parentcoach and have been for years. I have coached more than 250 different players on our club team as well of a couple of school teams when they could not find a coach. While I have seen teams have problems with coaches and parents, we have been fortunate in that I can say I have not had any problems with any of the other parents. One of the things that I have always tried to do is emphasize to all the other parents that our club team is not "my" team but "our" team. We always meet at the beginning of the season and often times during the season to make decisions together about the team's practices, games, tournaments, etc. In other words, I try to make everyone feel like they are a part of the team and ask for and encourage the parents involvement and input. We have been very fortunate to be successful. During the last six years we have played in the finals of the State's tournament and have won the gold metal four times and the silver metal one time. Even without doing that, I would not change a thing.

Finally, please consider this. I live in a rural part of Tennessee and we do not have the luxury of having a lot of people who know enough about soccer to provide the players with the training and step up and take on the responsibilities of coaching. That leaves a parent to do that because they do have a child involved. I know that some coaches may treat their own child as a priviledged character playing them over other kids, etc. However, in my case it has probably been unfair for my child to have to play for me as I have been more demanding of her at times than I have the other players. I think that is probably the way it is with most parentcoaches. No, I realize that it is not the best situation, but when you do not have the people and the resources of other communities, then you do the best with what you have. To make a blanket rule that no parent can coach their own child would hurt many soccer progams in some places. Also, I have coached against some teams that had coaches that were real JERKS. They were some former professional or college player that the parents or club had hired and their treatment of the players and behavior overall was just terrible. Just my thoughts.