Briarcrest and ECS - pick 'em

BaldEagle

Even though this game didn't make "The Big Ones" list, it is huge in West TN. Great rivalry and intensity. ECS won the last meeting at B'crest 41-38. If ECS wins, they will be two games up in the region. If B'crest wins, it's a two-way tie for first. With the game being played at ECS and on a Friday night, does it get any better? You pick 'em and why!

ECS will win, they have Briarcrest's number. Both teams have a very tough defense that knows how to force turnovers. Briarcrest will have an edge on short rebounds, but I think ECS will get most of the weak-side boards and long rebounds. I think that ECS does a better job of up-tempo, score quick once the offense is set, but Briarcrest is great at running the floor and scoring in transition. ECS has a better outside shot, which you need with Jada Mincy in the middle. Briarcrest has a better inside game, but the don't use as much as I would if I were them. ECS's guards are better, especially Julie Martin. I think that Stephanie Williams will be the key to the game. Mincy will get her points, and Martin will get hers, but if Briarcrest can find a way to take Stephanie Williams out of the equation, they should win the game. That said, I don't think that they can. This is on ECS's turf and they have a pretty good Friday night home crowd, and Briarcrest doesn't typically carry all that many. While this game will decide the 1st and 2nd seeds, Harding and Hutchison will be battling it out, possibly for 3rd and 4th seeds. Hutchison won by 1 point at Harding earlier that Harding gave away at the end. But Hutchinson has since lost to St. Benedict and only beat St. Agnes by 2. Harding handled both of those teams by about 10. Although the game is at Hutchison, crowd shouldn't be much of a factor, as Hutchison is an all-girls school with a very small gym and few fans.

I was just talking about the bleachers, they don't appear to hold very many people. And about Coach Harrington, I think he's doing great. Briarcrest has only won 5 games, but they have a terrible team with a lot of potential, and they beat Harding, ranked #1 in the state at the time, albeit without Trey Williams. They lost the rematch. I really like what he's doing with the Saints' young talent. Look for them to be contenders next year or the following with Coach Harrington at the helm.

How can anyone say that someone has Briarcrest's number in Division II. They have played in 5 straight State Championship Games, and won three of them. As far as ECS being better coached--have you looked at what Coach Freeze has done over the last 6 years in both football and basketball. I don't know who will win, but someone is going to have to beat Briarcrest for a couple of years straight before I dethrone them in my mind.

Assuming that this score is correct, congratulations to the Eagles. I do wonder if Ashly Easly was able to play for Briarcrest. If it comes down to this in the Region Finals, what a war it will be at MUS. I'm already looking forward to it. But it will be very difficult for ECS to win 3 times in one season against the Saints. Coach Freeze probably has one more trick up his sleave before he relinquishes his Championship run.

BTW, I have not given up on my team. Hopefully Harding can upset one of them in the Region Semi-Finals and win the Region Championship. But if that doesn't happen, then Go Eagles!