Bench press

Justadad

thanx for the advice tlove13 ill be sure to go to some camps to measure myself against other athletes... and ya im workin on my speed and flexibility ive been in track for a couple of years and i think thats helpin me out alot i run a 4'5 fourty right now and i hope to get it down to like a 4'4

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a sophmore im not a bad player, i work my (rear) off in the weight room, i powerclean 290 squat 530, but i struggle on bench with a weak 275, does anyone have any advise in any simple things that would make my bench go up?

Advice: stay away from slang.

[Edited by pioneer8991 on 3-10-03 7:00A]

The most common problem with the bench is weak triceps. Most guys blast it off their chests, but cannot lock out. You have to work the triceps hard. I'm not talking about pushdowns and kickbacks. Work the close-grip bench 5 sets of 3-5 reps. Dips with added weight, and lying extensions or skull crushers with reps in the 5-6 range. If high school kids put as much time into working triceps as they do biceps, they would be much better off and have bigger arms to boot. The triceps does make up 2/3 of the upper arm. GIve it a try and watch your bench go up.

• 2 weeks later...

Josh Ward was at The Arnold Classic last year and this year. This year, he benched 551. Actually, received the yes vote for 573 and then they said he didn't lock out or something equally as stupid. He squats 600. Last year the only person close to Josh's record at U.T. Knoxville was former player, Fred Weary at 535. At that time, Josh benched 534.5 and has long since broken that record. I don't know what the record squat is at U.T. Knoxville, but I would say not too many are doing squats equal to 600.

Combines are coming up and Josh broke the Nike record last year as well and will probably break his own record from last year. :)

im new here but i think that my squad can contend with anyone in bench press. we have three players that bench 350+ going ending their junior year, and a sophomore that bench about 365. so watch out because we ready to bust heads next year. :o

I've never seen or coached in a game on a Friday night in which they have bench press stations set up. Point being, if you can't transfer it to the field, then all it is is "gas station talk." Ward, from Sevier County learned how to transfer his strength last year. He can play and is getting recruited by some D1 schools. Most of them find out his strong bench as an after thought not a primary reason to recruit. Obviously with athletic ability and heart equal, I will take the guy that can bench 400 over the guy that can bench 395.

Every time someone gets strong and exceeds expectations, then there is always the person who claims steroids is the fuel. In the world of bodybuilding, no doubt that the juice is loose, but teenager athletes these days are capable of achieving a lot of weight without the aide of cheating. In my opinion, all of these big market supplements probably work nearly as good as steroids. Let's not judge kids by claiming they are on the juice.