John Higgins vs. Lee Humphrey

Guest Grider

Okay, I've got a couple of questions. Can anyone give me the straight scoop on why John Higgins has showed up at a couple of MHS games and allegedly talked trash to and heckled the Franchise? I'd like to think a representative of the Vols would have more class than that, and, if not, I'd like to let Buzz know about it. Second, is Billy Donovon coming to watch the Franchise play tonight? I know Lee is sitting on the Florida bench tomorrow when they play UT.

You are wrong on that UltimateFan. Buzz Peterson does a good job of discipline at Tennessee. He as all ready kicked several peope off the old Jerry Green teams and has shown alot more class in the Tennessee program. I would say he has no clue of what is going on in this situation. Dont blame Tennessee for his actions.

There have already been two or three threads on this, and this whole thing has become a Knoxville Urbal Legend. There is really nothing to this at all. I talked to Higgins' brother and he said that everything has been taken out of context. I know Higgins to be a class act, and any trash he's talked with Humphrey was good-natured. Higgins knows that Humphrey is a great player.

My son is on the Maryville team. Higgins was at both of the MHS vs Bearden games. Higgins did talk some trash at Bearden. I heard no report of trash talk at Maryville. I didn't ask but normally my guy would tell me if something like that happened. It is no big deal either way. I promise you Lee doesn't let that kind of stuff bother him. He has heard too much of it.

Donovan was supposed to be there. My son said Lee told him he was not coming now. I guess we will see when he gets there.

[Edited by Rebelsman on 2-14-03 11:47A]

I think if Higgins is talking to Lee Humphrey in the games it is in good natured fun. Everyone I talked to about Higgins say Jon Higgins is a class act. I know him and Lee has played on the playgrounds against each other.

I think Buzz has done a good job at UT. I am dissapointed that Lee is not going to UT but I am glad he is going to a big name school to play basketball.

Jon Higgins is, without question, a class act. In fact, he is one of the best all-around people that UT has had in any major sport in a long time. He is a model student and does a lot for the Knoxville community, especially with youth and underprivileged. It is my guess that Jon and Lee have played some pick-up together during the summer or before the season and formed some sort of relationship. I can definetly see Jon making comments like, "Show me something!" or "what you got!" things of that nature, but anything outside of that I would believe to be untrue or taken out of context. He is too smart to put himself or his UT team in the middle of something negative at this point in his career and thier season.

Here's what I know. Lee personally told me that he doesn't know Higgins. Higgins sat in the MHS student section wearing a Bearden t-shirt. I'd like to dismiss it all as fun and games, but when I have people sitting near Higgins saying that he was talking trash to kids in the student section, I begin to have a hard time believing that he is such a class act in spite of all the good things I hear about him.

who cares? so what if he was talking trash? even if higgins did say negative things to humphrey, which i have no affirmation either way on this, what does it matter to you people? i don't think that diminshes higgins' character. in fact, if humphrey is to be a gator, why not have a graduating vol take a couple of parting shots at the local boy who is going to arguably tennessee's biggest rival? i am sure if jon higgins did say anything, it was in good-natured fun, and i am sure if humphrey heard it, it probably wouldn't have any effect, considering he has probably heard a lot worse from a ton of different hecklers at different gyms across tennessee.

Well here is the thing, if Lee Humphrey passed up Tennessee for Florida then Jon might have room to say something. However; Tennessee passed up Lee. Now Lee could go play for his dream school as a walk-on, but that would be stupid and somewhat demeaning! His family isn't totally well off and he's worked hard to get everything he has and he deserves all of the attention...positive attention. Its funny to watch him after games because he can't travel 5 feet withouth someone else stopping him and talking and telling him what a great job he did. He's a humble kid who doesn't deserve anyone heckling him!