high school option football

shadow

No, as long as I have been here we have used the backside slot on the LB. I play slot. Teams like Furman that run a

4-3 with an eagle LB is why we bring the slot around. we changed it some this year, because we used to bring the backside slot around and fold the playside slot in for the MIKE or OLB. The slots would change who they went for.

Like I said, it depends on who we play for how we block it.

Another option that was successful for us was running the twirl option out of trips. We would brings the trips slot in motion and twirl him back out for the pitch. This is how we gashed FUrman this year because we could block their support player with the slot and block the FS with the tackle. Good play that is hard to stop.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can have the inside veer and midline in your playbook, then you'll give defenses some trouble. You can always give the QB an option, run the veer vs. a 2 and a 5 technique, and run the midline to a 3 tech. Like any other offense, it only works when you have an operator at QB.

tlove13, you can run the midline against a 2 technique, the qb pretty much just pulls and goes. The 3 and 5 technique doesn't matter either thats why you have to do the mesh drills and get your qb where he can read so you are not limited. The whole idea of running the option is to have an option.

Work and win!

DG, look at sending a back side slot to olb on play side, which gives you another blocker. It makes your midline a double option, which is what a lot of colleges calls that play. We started doing that at my last school and the play averaged 5 more yards per carry. It really makes a difference when the qb pulls and runs, it gives hime exra support on the outside, big playmaker when olb overcommits and now you have 2 guys leading the qb. When you hear about teams having qb score 6 tds, 9 of 10 times this is the play.

This is how we do something of the same. In a double slot, we have the playside slot arc to the playside backer. The backside slot would be in deep motion to become the pitchman. We also used a "Load" call in which the playside slot came down on DE. What do you think Posseum?

We ran that play, we called it Load Option right or left. It really worked well when teams loaded 8 or 9 guys in the box. They would do that because we had like 3300 yds rushing about 600 passing. So the load would get teams out of the box so we could get back to our inside game. To answer your question, I love it, we usually would bring a tight end in, and condense up front. Doing this it didn't tip the d off either because we would also throw, dive, and run back side speed option out of this formation. Also look at some zip motion on play side, gives midline or counter look, but you run veer.

To me, that can be one of the most effective ways to run the option out of the spread or double slot offense. It really adds a great look to the spread passing and running scheme, if you have a QB who can run it well! Another thing you can do is to put the backside slot in a deep motion (we call it ZAG) and then fake the DIVE, and pitch it to the playside slot coming back the other way with the onside guard pulling to lead block. If you're lucky, the backside DB or WLB will go in motion with the backside slot and the pulling guard can turn down on the DE or help block the DE and catch the WLB deep in the box! If it is run at full speed it is really sweet!

[Edited by ELA on 3-18-03 2:10P]

Ela we ran something like that, at Whitwell, we faked midline, instead of playside going deep motion we went short sent him to lb and countered to backside slot,which read head of guard, so it didn't matter if they slanted into it. play avg. 13 yards per carry. That play really got us over the hump I believe. The year we put it in we went 8-4 won our region, with one win over Boyd Buchanun. They never stopped it. Like you said its sweet!