White County Coaches

WarriorMom

I talked to coach Dotson and he said he would be back for sure. Slatten is also staying. I think they're both doing a good job with what they have. I've seen Slatten coach in many different places, and if you give him time and the players believe in his system then he will win. If the players don't believe in your system then no one will win. I've been in this situation this year, and our team didn't accomplish what it was capable of. Slatten is a tough coach, but he knows what he's doing. Just give him some talent and he can win with it. Some people will say that you should be able to win no matter what, but it's hard to win in AAA with no talent. Seth England did a great job this year, but that was about the only talent they had.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to break it to you White Co. folks, but Slatten is by no means the problem. Anyone who saw any of the district games knows, White Co. doesn't have the talent to be in the district they are in. Is Brent's little brother really going to play up? Playing up in AAA is VERY tough. Last year's freshmen had horrible attitudes and only the little point guard and the big guy (#4 or 5) had any talent and both had the worst attitudes. This is not a slam of White Co. I'm just trying to point out that the days of back-to-back titles and the talent to go with them are over.

Guest 3Ball

The Jolly's are two different people on the court.Brent did everything,but Ross doesn't do much besides he stays in the corner and shoots the three.Corey Crain and Clark will be the two best out of that group.Buckner is by far the best point guard in history,but you could of been joking.England will be one of the best players in the district if Slatten would let Johnson play his own game.Johnson has an ability to penetrate and dish better than anyone I have seen in a long time.

[Edited by 3Ball on 4-18-03 1:03P]

I think Seth Daniels is a pretty good point guard. He started to come on at the end of the year. He can pass pretty well on the penitration and he can shoot fairly well. He just needs a little more size and experience. I think he can help White County.

Buckner better do some growing. That's all I have to say. Gribble is super-talented, but has had a little bit of an attitude since he was just a kid. Gwynn has always given me the impression that he is lazy. I've never seen him work very hard. Maybe I've missed something. If Sparta is counting on getting help from Freshmen playing up, they're already in trouble. Very few freshmen come in ready for varsity-level competition.

I would say that Brent Jolley was the most accomplished point guard to ever play at White Co. That doesn't necessarily make him the best, although I can't think of anybody better right off the top of my head. Brent was really a natural 2 playing the 1 position. I always thought he looked a little awkward and out of place playing the point. He was awfully good at it, though.

On another subject..........I was glad to see Kyle Gribble getting the All-America honors at Carson-Newman. I have heard he is going to get a tryout with the Utah Jazz. Has anyone else heard this?

I think that Daniles and Johnsom help each other! Both can handle the ball and both can shoot the outside shot great. I would love to see them both start with Qualls and Williams and England. Then you would have Hess and Drake coming off the bench along with Brown and Gribble. But that is just my thoughts. Go Warriors!!! ;)

Please let me clarify an earlier statement I made about Brent Jolley. I said he looked awkward playing the point. I should have said he looked more comfortable at the 2 guard than he did at the point. He looked more like a natural 2 to me, and that's where he spent the majority of his time in college. No player that good could ever look awkward. That came out wrong.

As far as the Kyle Gribble question goes, that's just what I have heard. I was curious if anyone else had heard it.