Memphis site for State Tournament???

PantherGam

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a rumor that the state tournament may be played in Memphis this coming year?? Anyone else heard this? what do you think?? :confused:

I'm fairly certain the state tournament is still contracted to MTSU this year. Memphis wants it, but I don't think next year's state tournament is up for bid.

If it were in Memphis, would they play it at the Pyramid or the FedEx Forum? It seems to me that both of those venues would be too cavernous.

My guess is that the Grizzlies would try to arrange to host it by requesting two road trips for those two weeks...play at home, say, Sunday and Monday or Sunday and Tuesday between, but be on the road Wednesday through Saturday of both weeks.

And it would be at FedExForum, I would think. I'd love to see the state tournament in Memphis, but if it is, I wouldn't want it anywhere other than FedExForum. It'll be the best arena in the state once it's built. I don't think it'd be too cavernous, I think you should play the state championships in the best venues in the state. I think football should be at Chapter 11 Coliseum or at Neyland...I think basketball should have been at Gaylord, et al.

I heard for a fact that the TSSAA is considering Memphis for a site for the State Tournament this year.

Are you sure this isn't that the TSSAA is considering Memphis for the next bidding cycle? I know MTSU has this upcoming year locked up, but I know Memphis is trying to get it for the next bidding cycle.

I think it would be a mistake for the T$$aa to schedule the State Tourney outside Middle TN. :D A central location means transportation costs are equalized, East to West, for the fans. It's less than a four hour drive from Memphis to Nashville. It's a little more than that from Kingsport / Bristol to Nashville. Murphy Center in the boro is actually closer to the geographic center of the state , than anywhere else. :D

• 2 weeks later...

For once, I wish the powers that be would factor out the "economics" and factor in "common sense and wisdom" and schedule all ... REPEAT ALL ... state championships in middle Tennessee.

It's not been fair to West Tennessee fans for years to have to travel to Chattanooga for the spring fling and it wasn't fair this year for East Tennesseans to have to travel to Memphis. From what I understand, one of the venues was actually in Mississippi this year.

Somebody from TSSAA needs to realize that maximizing profits should not be the bottom line in this equation.