Memphis site for State Tournament???

PantherGam

Yes, the softball tourney was actually held in Mississippi b/c memphis didnt have a softball complex ready

We have several softball complexes, but the TSSAA insisted that the softball tournament had to be at one complex with six fields. At this point, we don't have one in Memphis, most of ours have three or four. My church was the originally planned host for it, and we have three fields with about six more under construction. Some of those may be more for baseball than softball, I'm not sure.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Boys' tourney could move to Memphis, or the Boys' and Girls' to Chattanooga, but not until the 2006-07 season. It looks like we will have the answer next Thursday, June 5th:

Bids for the 2006-2007 State Basketball Tournaments will be presented to the TSSAA Board of Control at their meeting at the Holiday Inn in Pigeon Forge. The Board of Control has received bids for the 2006-2007 State Basketball Tournaments from Chattanooga, Memphis, and Murfreesboro. Chattanooga has submitted a proposal for both tournaments, Memphis has submitted a proposal for the boys’ tournament only, and Murfreesboro has submitted a proposal for both tournaments. Each city will be given a 30-minute opportunity to give an overview of their proposal and answer any questions from the Board and staff.

On Tuesday night, June 3, at 8:00 p.m. there will be a draw to decide what order each organization will make their presentation to the Board. The presentations will begin on Wednesday morning, June 5, at 9:00 a.m. The four groups presenting bids to host the State Basketball Tournaments are:

· MTSU and The Rutherford County Chamber of Commerce

· The Greater Chattanooga Sports Committee

· The Memphis and Shelby County Sports Authority

Some general information that might be of help to you at this time is that the Board of Control will make the final decision either Wednesday afternoon or Thursday morning.

All three presenters will be notified by telephone on Thursday morning of the Board’s decision. Sometime early in the afternoon on Thursday we will send out a press release with the information concerning the Board’s decision.

I hate that the tourneys are in Memphis(which I believe is actually the capitol of Mississippi!). I hope that the tourney commitee sees fit to keep them in Mboro. It's bad enough to have to go to Memphis(the real capitol of Mississippi) for the AAU State Tourney. Mile marker #400 on interstate 40 is on the east side of Knoxville and it's about another 100 miles to Bristol. We can be in Washington DC as quick as we can get to Memphis(capitol of....). I say keep it as central as possible.

Memphis(which I believe is actually the capitol of Mississippi!).

Memphis(the real capitol of Mississippi) for the AAU State Tourney.

Memphis(capitol of....).

Memphis the capitol of Mississippi. Got any more ways to make yourself sound stupid?

We are in Tennessee. My sales tax money goes to Nashville. My gasoline tax goes to Nashville (well, most of the time...Arkansas has cheaper gas, so when I travel west or north, I fill up across the river). My governor is Phil Bredesen. The construction barrels here are marked "PROPERTY OF TDOT". We are every bit as much a part of Tennessee as Nashville, Knoxville, Jackson, Chattanooga, Johnson City, Gatlinburg, Dyersburg, Bell Buckle, Bucksnort, Chapel Hill, Crump, or any other city.

Heck, I can't even tell you who the governor of Mississippi *IS* now. I can tell you the governor of Arkansas, but that's mainly because I go to college at his alma mater in southwestern Arkansas, and he has also spoken at my church.

In summation, JUST BECAUSE WE'RE AT A BORDER OF THE STATE DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE NOT PART OF THE FREAKING STATE!

By your logic, the fact that I can be in Lake Pontchartrain quicker than I can be in Sevierville means that Sevierville is not in Tennessee.

And, coming back on topic, if you put the tournaments out to bid, the winner should be the best bid. If you're just gonna give it to Nashville or Murfreesboro, don't put it out to bid. That said, I will be floored if we get the state tournament this time around, because we're trying to split the two tourneys.

Sorry OP if I upset you, but Memphis is really a long way from the eastern part of the state. Last year I drove to Mboro to watch basketball, but if it goes to Memphis I'm not going to make the 7+ hour (one way) drive to watch. I'm sure you would't like to drive (I assume you're in Memphis) to Knoxville.

Just a general observation:

It seems the more mechanized our society becomes, and the faster we can get to places, the more we complain about going to those places. My senior year in high school the boy's state was in Knoxville and I drove 5 hours to get there just to watch. The next year the tourney was in Memphis and if Lawrence County, my alma mater, had made it to the second-round I would have been there. (a college exam kept me from going the first day)

I don't remember anyone complaining about the tourney being in Memphis, they just went if they could. Memphis was simply where the tourney was. That was before I-40 was finished between Knoxville and Nashville and almost all secondary roads were two lane. I guess it was probably 11-12 hour drive in those days from Johnson City to Memphis. Yet you went if you could and stayed home by the radio if you couldn't.

Sorry OP if I upset you, but Memphis is really a long way from the eastern part of the state. Last year I drove to Mboro to watch basketball, but if it goes to Memphis I'm not going to make the 7+ hour (one way) drive to watch. I'm sure you would't like to drive (I assume you're in Memphis) to Knoxville.

If Bartlett makes the state tournament, I will drive to Washington (either one) if I can get off work to be there. I know eastern TN is a drive from here...I've made the trip several times.

I played quiz bowl in high school, and we had to go to Nashville, Murfreesboro, Cookeville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga about every other weekend to get matches in the state. We also went to Fort Smith, Ark., Montgomery, Ala., and St. Louis and Cleveland. Sorry, I'm not that sympathetic to people whining that they might have to drive 6-8 hours one time during basketball season if they're good enough.

I don't care how long a drive it is for you to come over here. Unless the drive from here to Johnson City is enough for me to not be ridiculed for claiming Johnson City is the real capital of Virginia.