New Pay Policy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a shame that some people are taking potshots at coacht for the membership fees. People like that remind me of the people who had the "Vote No" signs in their yards when Nashville was wooing the Houston Oilers but today attend the games regularly - wanting something for nothing.

And the "No Taxes NBA" people in Memphis who didn't want the Grizzlies to come but will be going to the games within a couple of years once they start winning in FedExForum and it becomes the place to be in Memphis.

It's a shame that some people are taking potshots at coacht for the membership fees. People like that remind me of the people who had the "Vote No" signs in their yards when Nashville was wooing the Houston Oilers but today attend the games regularly - wanting something for nothing.

I do not hold it against anyone if they don't want to purchase a membership; however, they should be happy with what they do get. I have to think the saying "You get what you pay for" has escaped a lot of these people.

I do not proclaim to understand how Internet economics work, but coacht, is there some sort of system in which you could sign up visitors to the coacht.com site to a "free" membership, with all or expanded access, but their names get sold to companies so their e-mail boxes get spammed to death, and you, coacht, get revenues from names sold to the companies?

There are email companies who would pay for email addresses but I have no idea how much they would pay. Since I hate junk email as much as the next guy I have never checked into that. There is a way that I can bulk email all of the members on the site myself but I have never done that for the same reason.

As CoachTFan says there are many, many members with multiple user names. (They can't use fake email addresses since they couldn't verify their accounts but can have many hotmail, or yahoo, or other addresses to use. I had one member sign up 16 times in the same night.) One of the many reasons I went to the current system is to try to curtail some of that but it will still continue on the in-season boards. The only way to really cut back on that is to make all boards for members only which I don't want to do.

Many members come onto the site for the message boards only. They tend to forget that my time is not spent entirely on these boards. There are many aspects to the site that have to be updated, etc, daily (sometimes hourly) but fans tend to forget that if they spend the majority of their time on the boards.

One weekend, I tried to help CoachT keep up with the basketball scores... I spent several hours and only posted about twenty updates. I'm probably on here as much as anyone (except Iamoz or CoachT) and I know how difficult it can be to keep up with all the threads! I can promise you CoachT is no where near getting rich off of this site, in fact, he's just trying to keep his head above water. It would be nice for him to be able to make a few dollars off of this site someday, and anyone who would begrudge him that just doesn't understand the concept of free enterprise. Having said that, I think he is doing the right thing by keeping the In-Season boards open to everyone. It gives an incentive for many of us to join CoachT plus and those who don't want to can keep up with their school teams during each season for free! Anyone who has ever started their own business can appreciate the growing pains Coach Thompson is going through and if someone can't comprehend those issues, they are not very smart.