Why Don't Travelers Play Aau

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played AAU the last year the Travelers played in it. At Sullivan North I heard that Benson got mad at an official and some people in the crowd. He had a really good team that year with Vincent Yarborough and Ryan Lawson. My Dad talked to Benson one time and he said Benson was a pretty good guy so whatever happened to Benson must have been pretty bad.

Edited by brock20

Why should the Travelers play the aau games around here the comp is not that great. Take last year the Travelers played in the following cities;Hampton VA.,Bob Gibbons (Duke and UNC gyms),St. Louis,Houston Texas,Morgantown WV.,Bloomington Ind.,Orlando Fla. and Kansas City.

When a team gets to play against the comp in these turnaments why play inthe aau. The kids that play for the Travelers are playing in front of college coachs most of the time, this is why they play summer ball. Last year every sr. on Charlies team signed a FULL ride to college can any local aau team say the same? Also three members of the Travelers got to attend the NIKE CAMP in INDY ( Humpries,Malone and Brewer) Need I say more. :lol:

bball...I know what you mean. But, our team last year had this year seniors Vince Redd (Virginia), Seth Jervis (LMU), Azmar Blye and Henry Williams (both going to Lees-McRae). I agree with you about not playing AAU when you can get into those type tournaments. MAJOR college coaches are at most tourneys the Travelers go to, so why play in a tournament around here when 1) no major scouts are here and 2) Not much competition is here on a national level. I play AAU because it is better than nothing and I don't have the financial resources to travel like the Travelers or TN Breakers do. If our team did have the money, we would play more in the Nike and other top tourneys..... :lol:

OR....

The Travelers could play both, AAU and a National Schedule like Memphis YOMCA and the Midstate Ballerz Elite do........

It is a choice to play AAU and travel, or just travel, and Benson does a GREAT job with the Travelers......

The Travelers are still the blue print for how to run a top notch Program in Tennessee, and I know that is who I looked up to when building the Ballerz Program......

So, though the Travelers may be a tad down this year, and I do wish I could see them against the Memphis teams, Benson still runs a CLASS ACT, puts his kids in COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS, and is still the poster-child for Successful summer basketball programs..... :D

Stokomo i think we will see big changes in the coming years with aau and the Nike type turneys. It has become such a big money program with all the hype and big name players that the kids are lost and cannot be high school players and enjoy their high school years. Just last summer their was 14 yr. old at Nike camp and he was hyped up as being the next Shac. It will be almost impossible for this kid to live with all the hype adults have put on his back. let them be kids and enjoy life and then lay the hype out their sr. yr.In this day and time a player has to play summer ball to be seen. coachs do not have the time to see HS games so they need a way to see the players in a large group with great comp.at the upper levels. I quess the big problem is that the summer coaches have more pull with the colleges than the HS coachs and this causes a very big problem with EGOS and most of the time the HS coach has more thoughts of the players best interest in mind, but not always.

Here is a list of where the Travelers are going to college if i can remember them all,

lee humpries - florida

matt malone - utc

antwan kroger - ttu

kenyona - mtsu

brett warner- unca

lance sexton - cleveland state

Serious question...

First... I think Charlie Benson is a good coach and attracts quality players. He has a proven track record and (bottom line) has nothing to prove by playing anyone he doesn't want to play.

But... isnt' a VERY large part of the Travelers success due to their NIKE sponsorship?

I truly believe many programs in this state could be as successful if they could recruit players with the promise of shoes, clothing, uniforms, high profile tournaments and all expenses paid.

I'd love to be in that boat!