DII Region @ MBA Slowest Meet in History

RedUp

The Region meet at MBA on Tuesday was the slowest meet I have ever experienced. Fans in the stands were grumbling, athletes were warming up, cooling down, warming up, standing at the starting line waiting, the announcer was reading off qualifiers as the starter was waiting to start an event.

Talk about a way to kill spectator interest in a sport! Only dedicated parents and tired coaches were left standing.

The MBA baseball team took the field adajacent to the track after the meet had already started, warmed up for an hour, played a game and left the field before the running even started!

Field event finals + the 3200 final, along with small heats (never more than 3) of the 100, 200, 400, HH, and IH.

HJ / PV began at 3:30 , and running finally began at 7! The final 200 heat was concluded at 9:45.

8 boys teams and 8 girls teams--not like it was a huge field or anything.

I am sure results will be posted somewhere- -there were some good marks--just had to complain.

Uncomfortably NUMB.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kenwoodrun

I wonder what kind of timing and scoring technology was being used. That's often the difference in the speed of a meet being contested.

After pushing through literally 1,000 athletes through a full slate between 9:30 and 7:00 pm in one day, we can attest to this essentiality of FAT timing and Hy-tek scoring or some similar format.

well you must have never been to a meet in this part of the state we have a school that all of its meets are that bad and only have 3 to 5 teams most schools leave before the 300 hurdles because it is to dark to see the lanes lot of area schools will not come to there meets so now they get schools from farther away that don’t know how bad the meets are ran

kenwoodrun, my coach told me that MBA just got a brand new timing system and this was the reason for the delays. the new system produces basically instantaneous results but takes quite a while to get set up, etc. the old system was able to get things moving more quickly but the results took alot longer.

How did Ben do in disc and his other events? I know he vaulted 14'. Did he triple jump and throw the shot? I'm glad he did well considering he is just coming off yet another hamstring injury, and missed the sectional decathlon because of it, which he would have won.