Houston's Stuart Pomeranz

HiwasseeVol

SoupKitchen,

Glad to see you took your laptop with you! Thanks for taking my call today and I sure wish I could have been their to see that pitching duel. I bet Craig's Dad was on pins and needles at the game.

Everyone back in Knoxville is following as best we can and wish the boys well.

Keep winning and BA is very interested in the players, they would like some #'s when Coach Pharr is ready to loosen up. :D

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:):D:)

Good post SoupKitchen..........

In this world we now live in of the Internet; thousands of baseball sites, etc. > I don't know what a bonafide prospect is?? On top of that you have 100s of sports call in shows and local-yocal self appointed scout experts like HiwasseeVol who promote and add their commentary into the mix!

Net sites...............like the H...........Vol promotes touts their Top Lists of Future stars and its all a joke!

Let me see you list in 3 years and see where the players listed are at! It is more about making the people who do the lists than the players.

It could be compared to the hoop-la of Farragut being ranked #4 in the Nation! Bull......... how would anyone know that........... Whether its the USA Today or anyother rinky dink internet baseball ranking service, they are put together by people who haven't seen few if any of the teams they have listed play!!

Pomeranz certainly has the size, arm etc. but as always, it will take 4-5 years and a lot of luck to see if he is really the real deal?? Cobb on the other hand is still undefeated, has been a leading starter for 3 years and is on NO ones radar screen. But, the neat thing about that, is that is cool with Craig. He is saying he will just go to UT, be a student and enjoy College Life. Of course with all the attention and scouts at todays game that could change.......who knows!

That is also what I like about the Admirals chances this year......there are NO "prima donnas"; they get along; they like each other and will let their talking be done on the field.

I just hope they keep their heads on and continue with the "team" attitude!

Whether they finish 1st or not..........Good Team, Good Kids and Good Coach playing GOOD Baseball!!

HVol,

Will do. We play Hendersoville tomorrow at 5:00. Those boys just hit it where it's pitched.

As we watched the game today we were very suprised that Riverdale did not pitch one of their top guy's. We were told the starter was their 3/4.......in tourney play don't you try to jump out quickly?

Shutting down for awhile.......

:):D:)

Good post SoupKitchen..........

In this world we now live in of the Internet; thousands of baseball sites, etc. > I don't know what a bonafide prospect is?? On top of that you have 100s of sports call in shows and local-yocal self appointed scout experts like HiwasseeVol who promote and add their commentary into the mix!

Net sites...............like the H...........Vol promotes touts their Top Lists of Future stars and its all a joke!

Let me see you list in 3 years and see where the players listed are at! It is more about making the people who do the lists than the players.

It could be compared to the hoop-la of Farragut being ranked #4 in the Nation! Bull......... how would anyone know that........... Whether its the USA Today or anyother rinky dink internet baseball ranking service, they are put together by people who haven't seen few if any of the teams they have listed play!!

Pomeranz certainly has the size, arm etc. but as always, it will take 4-5 years and a lot of luck to see if he is really the real deal?? Cobb on the other hand is still undefeated, has been a leading starter for 3 years and is on NO ones radar screen. But, the neat thing about that, is that is cool with Craig. He is saying he will just go to UT, be a student and enjoy College Life. Of course with all the attention and scouts at todays game that could change.......who knows!

That is also what I like about the Admirals chances this year......there are NO "prima donnas"; they get along; they like each other and will let their talking be done on the field.

I just hope they keep their heads on and continue with the "team" attitude!

Whether they finish 1st or not..........Good Team, Good Kids and Good Coach playing GOOD Baseball!!

jbr549,

If you know me, you would know I'm not an expert and never profess to be one. I think you've missed the point somewhere with some of your post, but to each his own.

Craig doesn't want to play college baseball and believe you me, he is well known by college coaches.

Have a nice day.

To be specific there were 7 K's by Pomeranz. He is indeed a quality pitcher......my only disagreement with you Opperman is it was indeed a double (called thusly by the offical Memphis scorer)....the kid played a hard hit banana ball poorly, got turned around but he never touched it.......as to the close pitches.....granted the ump was consistent but to several unbiased (no dog in the hunt) folks from the Memphis contengient around us they said they believed he was getting 3/4" outside allday.....but as I said, the ump was consistent, so no complaints from Farragut.

Also, for every kudo that has been for Pomeranz.... I sure hope the Memphis press is as kind and flatering to Craig Cobb.....who outpitched him today.

Cobb outpitched Pomeranz? It's not like Houston came in averaging 10.7 runs a game. I think, considering the offenses of the respective teams, Pomeranz pitched a better game.

There were a few pitches on both sides that looked outside but were called strikes, but I didn't have a very good angle on those, because I didn't get out of bed early enough to get a good seat. And, just to clarify, I wasn't saying I disagreed with the walk that immediately preceded the triple. His release point was off for that batter, and it burned him. That's just how it goes.

Hmm...that was really ruled a double? That's E7 every day in my book. He was close enough to have made the play, and it's a play he should make, and that's the definition of an error... Maybe that's why the college I'm the official scorekeeper for had a .932 fielding percentage. Actually, scratch that, they really are that bad defensively. :D

And they announced after the game that Farragut had four hits. Which of the five HV listed wasn't one?

:lol::lol::rolleyes:

I have a rather mundane question and I guess a comment.

Who really gives a @#$# whether it was a double or error........why all the hoopla over it!!

Its just these kind of discussions that lead to the meaningless discussion of stats!!

I'll give ya the stat of importance........

Farragut 3

Houston 0

Yeah Opperman, the one stat that matters was Farragut 3 Houston 0. By the score it looks like Cobb did outpitch Roger Clemens today. That kid must feel pretty down on himself after getting all of that hype, having a huge audience, and then losing the game. Yes, the kid is really good; but Farragut is a little bit better. For everyone that doubted Farragut, me and Davy got something to say to ya, "Don't mess with the best, mess with the rest."

Yeah Opperman, the one stat that matters was Farragut 3 Houston 0. By the score it looks like Cobb did outpitch Roger Clemens today. That kid must feel pretty down on himself after getting all of that hype, having a huge audience, and then losing the game. Yes, the kid is really good; but Farragut is a little bit better. For everyone that doubted Farragut, me and Davy got something to say to ya, "Don't mess with the best, mess with the rest."

Pomeranz didn't lose the game. The team lost the game. If his team doesn't score any runs, that isn't his fault. Cobb pitched a great game, but I think it's easier to shut Houston out than it is to hold Farragut to three runs on four hits.

And while Farragut is the best team I saw yesterday, the tournament isn't over.