farragut: great team or just overhyped

Guest Oakland

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not nearly the best team all time from this state. Germantown in 1995 was mythical national champions and they went undefeated. The Farragut team is good, but they don't have the best player in the state so that also kinda hurts them.

By best player, do you mean best high school player? Best player with the 5 tools? Best player as a future pro prospect? Best pitcher?

You can look at it many different ways....

Best pitcher, best pro prospect, and probably best future prospect.

Cobb is good and he out did Pomeranz, but Pomeranz went against a tougher lineup...didn't Houston only score like 2 runs in the last 11 innings previous to the Farragut game and then no runs against Farragut?

I intentionally stayed out of this thread, until now.

First let me say CONGRATULATIONS to Coach Pharr and his Farragut Admirals. Few of us can ever understand how difficult it must have been to be the bridesmaid and not the bride, in the past couple of years.

Is this Farragut team the best team ever in the state of Tennessee? No ... In my opinion they are not. BUT all they had to be was the best team in 2003. They proved that they were that, on the field.

Several times this season I was asked about the Farragut team. Questions such as "How good are they" ... "are they really that good?" etc. etc.

In my humble opinion they are simply a high school coach's dream team. 12-13 very equal players that all know their roles and perform them whenever asked to do so. They have hitters up and down the line-up. They have a deep pitching staff. But maybe most importantly they did not wait around for a star player to deliver the game-winning hit. Or need a specific pitcher on the mound to win an important game. It seemed like a different Admiral was "the star" almost every game.

From an outsider's view this team was fun to watch. So many of them have played together in the summer, for several years. This is not a coincidence that the team is so unselfish. That attitude comes right from the top .... Coach Pharr. I have never known or seen Tommy posture or try to get attention for himself. He is not one of those "Look how good a coach I am" types. But the Tennessee high school coaching community knows how good he is. And quietly the national community is learning as well.

The best Tennessee team ever ... Probably not even the best Knoxville team ever. For those that are too young or may have forgotten, the Knox Central team of Helton, Trammell, Freeman and Woods was something very special!

Germantown has had some unbelievable teams in the past few years, as has Oakland. The Unicoi County teams from several years back were much like the curent Farragut team and very good.

What a wonderful season for the Admirals! One that many of us Knoxville area folks will remember for a good long time.

As is customary on my site ........ Whooooooooo Hoooooo!