MARYVILLE REBELS

spanky51jhs

Why dont yall leave JPATS alone. He is just inserting his opinion. And all this talk about Maryville winning four in a row is way too early. Not many coaches even know who is going to start for them in the fall. But dont be suprised if Alcoa drops one on Maryville because they have destroyed them in the past few years. Oh yea, its Muriville, not Maryville :o Good ole Mo'West .

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will M'Town West beat Maryville this year? I don't know a lot about West players, they may be great. However, I think that Maryville has West's number. Yeah, West beat Maryville in 01 but I think Maryville is in West's head. Three straight dominating victories. Maryville is in West's head like Spurrier got into Tennessee's head. West could have better players but Maryville has that mindset. I have pulled for West the last 2 years in the semi's and Maryville has just taken them out of the game. I think the 2001 semi's have defined West. West was supposed to win but Maryville came into M'town stadium and won.

I'm an upper East Tennessee fan and loved the old IMAC conference. Jeff County is my favorite but I pull for the Morristown teams, Newport, Greeneville to do well also. I have just seen Maryville win games in the past 3 years that I felt before the game they would not.

Being a Tennessee native, my wife and I have flown from the Northeast US to Middle Tennessee the last 5 years to watch the state championship games. (I wish they would move the games back to Vandy for convenience sake) We love taking 4 or 5 days to visit 2nd Ave in downtown Nashville and do a little Christmas shopping in Lebanon, etc. She and I love the excitement of the Blue Cross championship games.

On the whole, the 4A games have been the most exciting for us although the 2000 Red Bank win, the David Lipscomb win this year and the Alcoa win in 2000 are three of our favorites as well.

The great thing about going as a fan is going into each game without really having a team we pull for. Each time we sit there before the games and look at the team in warmups who looks less superior than the other. We usually pull for the team that looks like they shouldn't win. The Maryville teams have looked like the underdog in warmups just judging them on athleticism etc. the last 3 years. The Memphis East game in 2000 was like watching the movie Hoosiers. I'm extremely impressed with the team concept, trickery as well that Maryville has displayed in the past 3 years. They are so well coached.

I would suggest to any high school fan to take those 2 days in early December to go watch all the games. I can't wait to make that trip again this year.

Good post,

Not to get too off subject, but I think the best state championship game last year was the Briarcrest 2OT win over BGA...BCS goes for it down by 3 on the 3 for the win or the loss (could have kicked the FG) and wins on fourth down pass.

I think Maryville wins the 4A title again, unless Hillsboro or Melrose beats them (Melrose has a TON of D1 prospects and they could have easily been in the state title...believe they lost 7-0 to HHS).

Why dont yall leave JPATS alone. He is just inserting his opinion. And all this talk about Maryville winning four in a row is way too early. Not many coaches even know who is going to start for them in the fall. But dont be suprised if Alcoa drops one on Maryville because they have destroyed them in the past few years. Oh yea, its Muriville, not Maryville B) Good ole Mo'West .

None of us Maryville fans said that the Rebels would win the state title this year.

Alcoa will not beat Maryville this year. Their best chances will be in 2004 and 2005.

Gov, this really hurts man, why you gotta go bringing me down like that? Bringing up the two most unsucessful days of my track career!

"WILLIAM BLOUNT TRACK & FIELD

BOYS AND GIRLS

2003 BLOUNT COUNTY CHAMPS"

Anyway, I don't know about the state, but I am pretty sure that Maryville will be competitive next year. I looked at the charts and they seem to have some good kids coming up. Look for Logan Flowers to be a key defensive player in the secondary, he runs a 4.45. I think that they have the bigmen, traditionally Maryville hasn't had a lot of huge guys, they've just been guys that have bulked up and have trained hard on technique and they've overachieved. just ask John Raulston. We will have the top skill players set on offense, but I think defense will be the key, linebackers in particular. We have to replace 3 linebackers and I'm not impressed with Larry Hannan or Corey Everett. Hannan didn't play well against Blount when he had his chance to shine and Corey seems way too slow for linebacker. But all in all I think they'll do all right, maybe not perfect or champs, but they will keep the dream of being a Rebel alive.

MaryvilleRebels,

You gotta let me brag about something ... rare is the opportunity. I was proud of the Gov's track squad. But, just for the record ... you guys did better than they did in the regions, didn't you?

As far as football. I'm pretty excited about WB. Want to get this coach named, whoever it's gonna be and get the program settled down. I know this is big talk for a William Blount fan, but in upcoming sophomores Brad Walker and Ronald Osborne, I think we'll have a backfield that is as speedy as any in the county or region. Throw in qb Wojo and with just decent blocking, we should be able to run the football. We'll have to see about the passing game.

Defense will be interesting. We lost 8 or 9 starters off of what Coach Quarles himself said was one of the best d's he faced all year. Ryan Grubb coming back will be a force, but we'll have lots of inexperience.

Look for word on a new coach in the next day or two.

Rumor has it you may lose Walker to Maryville, he's been wanting to transfer, who knows if he'll get in though. Umm...well I think we did better than you at decath. (all me...haha). Or atleast you could say we did better, we had Carl in first, and then you had Brad, then we had Dave, and you had another guy, then we had myself and you had another guy just behind me. So I guess we could say we won that. At region William Blount, and Maryville were both killed by bad handoffs that got them DQed in the 4 x 2 and 4 x 1 (Maryville). I think Maryville finished 3rd though.

I heard that rumor about Brad Walker and his younger brother but rebeljohn76 said both of the Walker boys are staying at William Blount.I also heard rumors that Adrian Baker is going to William Blount also.

One transfer I heard for sure is Tanner Caylor. He is coming from Heritage.Him and Joseph Miranda will be a great linebacker tandem in the future for the Rebels.

STARS, Dave Garner could be a good receiver. I think he is better at safety. He did a great job last season.

MaryvilleRebels, I hope Logan Flowers is an impact player. He always looked good on kickoff coverage. I think Cory is going to be an offensive lineman only. I like Larry Hannon myself. Size is his problem. He weighs 150lbs. He will hit you though. Dee Arrington will be a starter at linebacker. Anthony Jackson will play a lot of linebacker as a sophomore. Zack Thomason will play a lot at linebacker.

I heard that rumor about Brad Walker and his younger brother but rebeljohn76 said both of the Walker boys are staying at William Blount.I also heard rumors that Adrian Baker is going to William Blount also.

One transfer I heard for sure is Tanner Caylor. He is coming from Heritage.Him and Joseph Miranda will be a great linebacker tandem in the future for the Rebels.

STARS, Dave Garner could be a good receiver. I think he is better at safety. He did a great job last season.

MaryvilleRebels, I hope Logan Flowers is an impact player. He always looked good on kickoff coverage. I think Cory is going to be an offensive lineman only. I like Larry Hannon myself. Size is his problem. He weighs 150lbs. He will hit you though. Dee Arrington will be a starter at linebacker. Anthony Jackson will play a lot of linebacker as a sophomore. Zack Thomason will play a lot at linebacker.

You are correct about Tanner. He was at the football meeting last week. Tanner has played inthe Maryville system most of his football days...Ll Rebs - Southerners, and Rebs, before his parents moved close to Heritage. I got a call about two months after their move from Tanner's mother regarding their experience so far with the Hertiage football team. Becca was almost in tears discussing this major screw-up. She asked how to get Tanner back into Maryville with all his friends. I guess she figured it out because Tanner will be in red and Black next year.

Tanner is an awesome linebacker and has the dedication that will suit him well in the Maryville program. This freshman class to be will be fun to watch. Also, Tank is not going to WB. Father Don knows better than that. Re. the Walker kids I dont think that happens either but are hearing from the kids that they wished it would.

MLREB, That freshman class will be special.

Running back is loaded with Adrian Baker and Ryan Singleton.Those guys will be special! Both guys are close to 180lbs already.

Receiver position will be strong led by Tyler Maples. Tyler is a speed demon like his older brother Ryan.

Offensive line will be solid with Lewis Darrus and Matt Huskey.

Quarterback will be a 3 man fight with Taylor Akins,Derrick Hunt and Ryan Risor. I know Derrick and Taylor personally. I told both those young men that they have a good opportunity in front of them.Coach Quarles will make good quarterbacks out of all 3 of those young men.

Defensive End is set with TJ Franklin and Josh Merion.

Defensive Tackles will be the offensive linemen

Linebackers will be the strength of this class. Joseph Miranda was born to be a linebacker. His dad( Ralph Miranda)played at Notre Dame when Joe Montana was there and owns the Maryville Invaders semipro football team. Miranda has perfect technique on his tackling. Tanner Caylor will knock your head off. Ryan Singleton and Adrian Baker are headhunters also.

Tyler Maples will lead the secondary.

There are probably other good players I left off this list. I don't know all the players yet.

When I saw Coach Ellis a few weeks ago he told me he was looking forward to coaching this class.

I can see a lot of 3 year starters in this group.

I drove by the Middle School the other day and saw the Middle school team practicing. I wonder how good they will be? I hear the stud in that class is Wes Lambert. His dad is Maryville College basketball coach Randy Lambert.

MLREB,  That freshman class will be special.

Running back is loaded with Adrian Baker and Ryan Singleton.Those guys will be special! Both guys are close to 180lbs already.

Receiver position will be strong led by Tyler Maples. Tyler is a speed demon like his older brother Ryan.

Offensive line will be solid with Lewis Darrus and Matt Huskey.

Quarterback will be a 3 man fight with Taylor Akins,Derrick Hunt and Ryan Risor. I know Derrick and Taylor personally. I told both those young men that they have a good opportunity in front of them.Coach Quarles will make good quarterbacks out of all 3 of those young men.

Defensive End is set with TJ Franklin and Josh Merion.

Defensive Tackles will be the offensive linemen

Linebackers will be the strength of this class. Joseph Miranda was born to be a linebacker. His dad( Ralph Miranda)played at Notre Dame when Joe Montana was there and owns the Maryville Invaders semipro football team. Miranda has perfect technique on his tackling. Tanner Caylor will knock your head off. Ryan Singleton and Adrian Baker are headhunters also.

Tyler Maples will lead the secondary.

There are probably other good players I left off this list. I don't know all the players yet.

When I saw Coach Ellis a few weeks ago he told me he was looking forward to coaching this class.

I can see a lot of 3 year starters in this group.

I drove by the Middle School the other day and saw the Middle school team practicing. I wonder how good they will be? I hear the stud in that class is Wes Lambert. His dad is Maryville College basketball coach Randy Lambert.

Let me see if I can help you out a little on this group.

Best athelete of the group is Ryan Reiser. Ryan may play some QB next year but will ultimately end up at DB or WR. Ryan has good speed, not quite as good as Maples, great hands, nose for the ball, and great field vision. He is a better RB than Singleton but didn't get the oppotunity last year at MMS.

Maples is blessed with speed and good vision but his hands are not as good as Reiser. Tyler still needs to grow a little, and he will, to guarentee his success at the highschool level. Tyler works hard and is driven. Most likely a better basketball player than football but outstanding at both.

Singleton......IMO will end up at LB. Good speed and great size but will not stick it in the hole s a RB. That is where Reiser excells over Singleton. R. Singleton will grow some more and could be a protege LB in a couple years. R. Singleton is already at big athletic kid.

J. Miranda - Has most of the tools to be a great linebacker. Only question is speed. He has worked with a trainer for a couple of years so that issue is being dealt with. Technique, knowledge, and the intangables of the postion are his strong points.

Adrain Baker (Tank).....IMO the only player in the freshman group that has a chance to help the highscool team next year. Tank is as fast as Maples and carries about 170 to 180 lbs. Tank is only about 5"8, or 5'9" now but will grow more. Tank has a lot of ability and an outstanding work ethic. He has a chance to be special either as a RB or a LB.

QB Posiion..........IMO there will be only one or -0- QB's out of this group. Reiser will end up at WR and or DB. I have watched Akins at Mary Blount and have been around him this summer and there is no way he plays QB at Maryville unless he matures both mentally and athletically. The only one left is Hunt who has played QB for 7 years now. The biggest question with Derek is arm strength, which is being worked on, but his leadership, knowledge of offense, Maryville's offense that is since he has been working with an EX Maryvile QB NG, work ethic, and ability to manage a team is excellent. He has also been working with a speed, strength, and agility trainer for over a year now and the difference in his athletic ability is obvious. He has also grown from 4' nothing to 5'9" currently. If he does not work out at QB then most likely will be WR or DB

Josh Burchete - Most likely the fastest kid in the group. Josh is a step faster than maples and has good height and body. He has to develope his hands to be a WR but may end up on D-fense. He is a big hitter as are several out of this group.

Lineman - Darius has the biggest upside. Lewis has good size, strong, ahletic kid with great feet. He also has the lineman metality and loves to mix it up. Justin Huskey is also a nice lineman and has size, athletic ability, and a great work ethic. T.J. Franklin is huge. T.J. Needs to improve on his agility and his psyche, gets upset too easily, but he is an imposing figure on the field and can run for a big kid. The line is in good shape with excellent size and athletic ability. Ellis will enjoy this group.

Tanner Caylor - Unbelievable how far Tanner has come since he was 8. Loves the game and plays with great emotion. Tanner is a devastating tackler that only knows one speed. Size and speed are good but determination is off the chart. Tanner gives it up for his team and will quickly become a fan favorite on Friday nights.

Most in this group has been playing together since they were eight. Expectations are high but IMO the will need some leadership to step up if they are to achieve success. Many hard workers and good athletes in the group so it should be interesting.

Re: the Middle school team - This is a very athletic group but have very little size. They are loaded at the skilled postiions and have a very good QB, Johnny Wiggins. Johnny is not the starer but he will play QB in ghschool, guarentee. Johnny is one of the better QB's to come through the Maryville youth team ranks. The Middle school coach ha a tendencyto put kids out of position but fortunately they are given good guidance in highschool.Unfortunately Wes Lambert has decided to not play football and follow the path of his brother Jason Wes will stick to basebal and basketball. Too bad because football is Wes's best sport.

Edited by MLREB