Bearden's fans

Yankee0697

I just want to say that I spoke with a number of Beardens fans on the sideline of the Columbia Bearden match and I wouldnt have known they were the fans of 2 time defending state champs. They were modest and full of class. I spent most of the time talking with Mr. Colquitt. He is a real class act. Ive seen fans whose teams werent even half as good behave like they were the best team on the planet. They complimented us on our play even though were were getting beat 6-0. Its good to see sportsmanship on the sidelines as well as the field.

Mike Cartmell (gk's dad)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yank, cry and whine, that's what happened with the Bearden fans. Of course Farragut couldn't beat them without the referee cheating. Of course they won with a gift. No credit given to the players or coaches, just complaining that the refs gave the game to Farragut. The refs must have given Farragut TWO goals, but they can't seem to explain the last one.

Typical.

Thats too bad. You would think that if two incredible teams like Farragut and Bearden could take the field against each other and play their hearts out for 100 minutes the fans could appreciate that and give credit where credit is due. Not trying to defend anyone, but what if the situation was reversed? Any handball in the box in the last five minutes of ot, unless it is quite obvious will always be controversial. The fans though should understand that the refs will come under criticism regardless how they make that call. You hate to see a game decided by the refs though. I am a father that has been following soccer for a long time. I have always been critical of fan behavior whether it is my son's team or not. I hate when fans only see the calls that go against them and then walk away blaming the refs. I coach travel soccer and will not allow my players to abuse the referees and what really irks me is when the players want to blame the refs for their loss instead of their own play. I was only stating that when I met the Bearden fans they showed alot of class. Maybe thats because they were winning. I dont know. Anyway sportsmanship should be shown in the stands as well as the field. If you play for Farragut, congratulations. This must be an awesome feeling for you.

Mike Cartmell (Columbia Gk's dad)

Edited by Yankee0697

Seldon, congratulations to farragut on the win.

But the last goal however for farragut resulted from the controversial PK. Because of that, Bearden pushed almost everyone up trying to tie the game leaving just the sweeper. It's pretty easy to score in that situation(almost like an empty netter in hockey). Had the game still been tied, Bearden would have been playin their regular formation and i think both teams can agree that goal wouldn't have come like it did.

That PK changed the entire game, but it's over. Congrats to farragut, there's no doubt they worked hard. It just sucked that the game was decided by a PK. Each teams played incredible. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same teams next for the state championship game.

bhswins, You may be correct about pushing up, but check the picture that CoachT has posted or check the video run by Fox Sports in Knoxville last night. Both show that the Bearden defender extended his elbow to stop the ball. Seeing is believing. The handball call WAS NOT controversial to anyone other than the non-objective Bearden fans. The only question is whether or not it was intentional. Whether it was intentional or not does not change the fact that it was a handball and should have resulted in a PK. Turner, and the rest, just need to accept the fact that the better team won, and did so 3 out of 4 times. Turner's remarks were not only way out of line but totally uncalled for.

Wow Seldon! Why'd you have to go off on me like that. Geez man.

I wasn't making any arguments, just stating how the third goal came around and that it stinks the game pretty much ended on a PK.

Relax, i said congrats to Farragut and it's over.

Get off my back man, do you have to have a last word with everything or something.

the game is over and it really did show the two best teams in tennessee are from knoxville. but why are you all complaining about this pk situation? i believe bearden defeated farragut their only time of the season from a PK! turner even said himself in the paper that the ball was going in anyways. all i have to say is that both teams played their hearts out but we still managed to come out on top!

bhswins, I wasn't going off on you and I'm not on your back. Trust me, you'd know it if I was. I just want to make it clear that there was not a controversy on the handball other than what Turner and some Bearden fans are trying to make of it. Spahr clearly, repeat clearly extended his arm with the intention of stopping the ball. That is a violation of the rules and the result was a deserved penalty kick. Eric Turner and some select Bearden fans (not necessarily yourself) just need to face reality and get over it.