7 on 7 at Vandy

2Aguru

David Lipscomb won the Vanderbilt 7 on 7 tournament yesterday playing with only 7 players. All other teams had at least 15 players so they could sub. The Lipscomb players were forced to play both ways for six games and won every one of them. They defeated Watertown, Smith Co., and Portland(which was the closest game), and then in the championship round defeated Ezell-Harding, Kenwood, and Page. This tournament had some really could talent which promises to make for an exciting year in high school football. Any other comments about this tournament?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, it was fun to watch the new five-wide everybody run deep offense that Lipscomb has installed over the summer. And that 4 under 3 deep prevent defense will work great during the regular season. Goodpasture will love to see that one. I thought the idea behind passing leagues was to improve on things your team will DO during the season. No trophies are given during the summer. Don't get me wrong... Coach McAdams does an outstanding job .. I don't think yesterday was a reflection of his system. Best of luck to you this year.

i agree team come to these things with the wrong mentality. yes winning is important but this is the time you work on things that you will do during the fall. i have participated in two of the vandy 7 on 7 tourney and every year there are a couple of tema who run six wide receivers. that isnt football. so i know lipscomb had a great group of guys but not the right gameplan.

Lipscomb's idea behind this tournament was for seven guys to have a break from the weight room and have a little fun. It was not to work on thier Wing T offense which wouldn't work in a 7 on 7 tournament. Coach Mac had no part in any of this, it was the secondary coach. Football is about adjustments, and they made the necessary ones to go out and have some fun yesterday and for some Seniors to grow closer together. Obviously, they had a great gameplan and were barely tested. Their athletes were just running by these man defenses so I hope these teams dont use those in the regular season either. The main thing is to have fun. They were laughed at by other teams for only having seven guys but obviously that was all they needed. They believed they could win from the get go and took care of business while having a great time so i think it was very beneficial for them.

7 on 7 is a different world than regular football so remember that and play like it.

By the way Lipscomb knows how to win the real trophy too.

Edited by 2Aguru

I think that what DL did was a good idea and everything. If I were a coach I would want my boys to go out and just have fun and not really have a game plan or anything, as if they were playing backyard football. The camp was a competition for fun . If I were a coach and were the state champs I would have my boys to go out there and just have fun and throw the ball around. Even though they did only bring 7 guys that shows guts , I guess you can say and really does prove that they were out there to have fun and that they were the only state champs there !

Tank # 77

The Portland - Lipscomb game was a very hard fought game. Lipscomb was plagued by some illegal formation calls that costs them 6 points. This game was very physical for a 7 on7 game. it even got a little heated at the end. Both teams had good athletes and played good zone defenses.The final score was Lipscomb 17 - Portland-17.