Top 5 Head Coaches in East Tennessee

tlove13

I hate to relive the past but here are some of Soddy Daisy's killer stats vs Dobyns Bennett just for wingwombedbatwilly. I even underline some of the best parts that show how bad Soddy Daisy beat us in every area but the scoreboard as wingwombatwilly claims. I commented after several of the underlined sections. Oh and it was the yards gained were 383 - 189 in DB's favor with a big chunk of Soddy's yards coming in the final seconds of the game with DB's starters on the sideline

Tribe tops Trojans, advances to meet McMinn

Date Published: November 8, 2003

KINGSPORT - Dobyns-Bennett , again relying on the passing of shotgun quarterback Duran Ferguson and an emotionally charged defense, defeated Soddy Daisy 28-6 Friday night in the opening round of the TSSAA 5A state football playoffs at J. Fred Johnson Stadium.

Ferguson, a 6-foot-3, 230-pound junior, completed 12 of 21 passes for 250 yards and two touchdowns.

He tossed a 20-yard TD pass to Lamon Williams for a 7-0 lead and increased the score to 14-0 by firing a 57-yard pass to Darrell Hayes.

Chase Flanary caught two passes for 51 yards, Williams three for 44, Walker Throp three for 43 and Matt McMillan one for 31.

D-B's defense limited Soddy Daisy to 116 yards rushing and knocked alternating quarterbacks Tyler Phelps and Gary Orr on their backsides several times.

Linebacker Tyler Nottingham became a fifth member of the Trojans' offensive backfield, it seemed. He dogged the quarterbacks and running backs all night long.

"Soddy Daisy pretty much had a power team,'' Nottingham said. "I thought we had the speed to get up there and stop them. Our defense dominated. We gave it 110 percent in practice this week and it carried over to the game.''

Flanary, D-B's stout-hearted fullback, rushed 11 times for 75 yards. It raised his season total to 909 yards in 121 carries.

"Without the blocking of John Lunan, Wilder Bullard, James Weatherly, Daniel Kilgore and Ryan Powell, I couldn't have done anything,'' Flanary said. "They are the real heart of this team.''

A pair of pass interceptions by Dustin Gaines inspired D-B.

He picked off a pass intended for Trae Jackson at the Indians' 34-yard line late in the first quarter. D-B immediately drove for a TD, with Ferguson passing to Williams on a crossing pattern to cover the final 20 yards.

Midway through the third quarter, Gaines took a pass out of Chris Groce's hands for his second interception to set D-B in motion for its last TD.

"Both times,'' Gaines said, "I just outmuscled the receivers. At this point in the season, you've got to play your best if you don't want to go home.''

In the past two games, Gaines has picked off four passes.

"Those were two big picks tonight,'' D-B head coach Graham Clark said.

Just before the half, D-B got on the scoreboard for the second time. Ferguson threw down the middle to Hayes for the TD.

"I was looking for a running back and thinking about throwing a short pass,'' Ferguson said. "I saw Darrell going past that defensive back, so I went to him instead.''

It was a footrace between Hayes and the Soddy Daisy safety, and Ferguson put the ball in his hands.

"I felt I had the speed to get around the defender,'' Hayes said. "Duran threw a pinpoint pass.''

The play was a thing of beauty.

"You can't throw it any better than Duran threw it to Darrell,'' Clark said. "There wasn't a lick of coaching in that one.''

D-B, unwilling to sit on a 14-0 lead, threatened in the final seconds of the first half. Ferguson threw 51 yards to Flanary, who got the last 20 of it on sheer determination. Ben Cotey's 34-yard field-goal attempt was blocked with less than three seconds to go. Trey Baker alertly scooped up the ball and raced 78 yards. He was finally bumped out of bounds at the D-B 4 after time elapsed.

On its first possession of the second half, D-B marched 51 yards for a TD. McMillan's 31-yard pass catch was the key play. Flanary skirted left end for a 16-yard TD.

Throp got the final D-B score on a 3-yard run, climaxing a 61-yard drive.

"Chase and Walker both ran the ball well tonight,'' said Powell, a 6-foot-5 offensive tackle. "Dustin's two interceptions changed the momentum.''

Soddy Daisy's only TD came with 21 seconds remaining in the game. Orr threw a 52-yard pass to Groce for the score.

Oh that was the best part, you scored on our 2nd and third string as time expired. Dang you guys really showed us. Actually; how nice of coach Clark to give you 6 points

"D-B has a great team,'' Soddy Daisy head coach Glen Ryan said. "(The Indians) flat out got after us. We had some opportunities but couldn't take advantage of them.

"We never could do the things we wanted.''

D-B's offense was almost as efficient as it had been in a win the previous week over Science Hill.

"It didn't matter that (the Indians) were in a shotgun formation,'' Ryan said. "D-B just executed.''

Clark said the blocking was excellent.

"It was a great job by our offensive line,'' he said. "Soddy Daisy didn't get a lot of pressure on Duran.

"Our defensive coaches had a great game plan. It was just an outstanding overall performance.''

D-B, the Region 1 champion, outgained Soddy Daisy, the third-place team from Region 2, by a yardage count of 383-189.

I had to comment on your total domination there. I give it to you, Soddy whipped DB all over the field.

The airways were practically sealed off by D-B's secondary. Of Soddy Daisy's 73 passing yards, 52 came on its final offensive play of the night.

Soddy Daisy's trio of heavyweight running backs - Brandon Battles, Paul Campbell and Kyle Winton - managed a total of 125 yards rushing. By the time sacks were deducted, the Trojans had just 116 yards rushing.

Flanary accounted for all but 58 yards of D-B's rushing yardage.

Ok, now that thats over, what is next on the agenda?

Edited by bud

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hate to relive the past? That's all Dobyns-Bennett people do! I say you guys need to grow up in Kingsport and take care of business like you should have done two or three times before. You've had the athletes, and you will this year...so make it happen, until then, shut it up!

It really, really bothers me to say this, but if Scott Meadows or George Quarles were to have that Dobyns-Bennett team from this or last year, it would be the most dominant team in the entire state, all classifications. Anyone who saw you guys play can attest to that.

Guest region4fan

There you are TEZ stirring it up again. And of course, you are defending your hero again. Maybe you can bump Gary Rankin out of his job to make another coaching change for your buddy? Hey, I know,..........maybe he could come in and build Riverdale to a powerhouse?

Meadows is a talent hunter,lets see him go to a 0-10 school and take them far in the playoffs.At the high school level if you have enough athletes and confidence you can go pretty far in the playoffs.Its when you get deep in the playoffs when everyone else is just as good as you that the coaching talent comes in.Now I`m not saying that Coach Meadows isn`t a good coach he know the Wing-T as well as anyone but it doesn`t hurt that you keep going to schools with the most talent.Jeff Co still has alot of talent as you will see this fall,but I guess it wasn`t as much talent as Meadows wanted. I`ll tell you this both Coach Meadows better be ready if WB plays Jeff Co in the playoffs because Jeff Co will be playing with a HUGE chip on their shoulder,Coach Hutchins will find out later in the season.

It really, really bothers me to say this, but if Scott Meadows or George Quarles were to have that Dobyns-Bennett team from this or last year, it would be the most dominant team in the entire state, all classifications

Thats why people picked us numer 2 behind Jeff Co in Region 1 5A. Tequiza, you are a person that has no actual knowledge about other teams, you just make up whatever sounds good to make you sound right. If you really knew the story, DB was down last year. I don't know why you think that there is all this talent in upper NE Tennessee. Upper NE tennessee has the least talent of any part of Tennessee, thats why there are so few championships. DB has very average talent. DB is not some stud loaded team like Riverdale, they just have good coaching and play TEAM ball. And again last year was below the average. Alot of people thought we would lose 3 or 4 games. But Clark being the good coach that he is, made magig with what he had. Jeff Co is the team that was loaded and Meadows could not use all that talent to beat a below average DB team. Again, Clark does better with what he has. Again, we ask, what is you wonderful school? You never will say. And please pull your head out of Meadows, butt bcause I think he might be a little uncomfortable. Don't worry, he won't be in one place to long anyway, so will you follow him, or decapitate when he leavs?

Edited by bud

Tezcat,

It really, really bothers me to say this but, I could of taken Jefferson County futher in the playoffs than Meadows did. What player went to D1 off last years DB team? You seem to get more angry with every post. A sure sign your losing the argument. Hey if you don't want to talk about the past, then don't bring it up. Im all for talking about this coming year. So just who is your team anyway?

WaCo :D JaCo

Guest region4fan

Now I could be wrong, but didn't Jeff county's 2 star players get booted b/f the season was over? It seems like they got a two game suspension going into the play-offs? What kind of team discipline is that, Tez?

Nobody got kicked off for Jeff Co near the end of the season.Scooter Houston and Arron Carson got suspended after the Morr West game for punches that never happened.The suspensions were lifted after the game tape was taken to the TSSAA and both players played in the next game.

Quarles and Clark were left off for a reason.

Quarles-

1) Took an already winning program, let's see him take Midway or Heritage to the Murf'.

2) Players secretly hate him.

3) Has a huge discipline problem.

Maryville started winning big again in 1997 after a 10 year lull. That is right after George Quarles comes to Maryville as an assistant coach.Since 1997 Maryville is 91-11. That is a 90% winning percentage.Quarles is a big part of that.

Players hate him? I talked to a bunch of players who played under Quarles. My nephew was one of them. My nephew loves Quarles. My nephew thinks Quarles walks on water. I bet I talked to over 50 former Rebels and I only heard one former player say something bad about Quarles.The rest of them say great things about him.

STARS covered the discipline problems real good on his post.

Meadows is a great coach. But you will not make up crap about other schools and coaches to make him look better. Now try to talk football without cutting down others and everyone will all have a much better time. You made alot of enemies real fast as a new poster on CoachT. We are all not going to sit here and let you make up garbage about other schools. Tell us why you think Meadows is good. Tell us your school (William Blount?). Just speak the positive.

Edited by bud