Top 5 Head Coaches in East Tennessee

tlove13

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Rebelron has done his homework, check the winning percentage of these guys,numbers don,t lie. You can bet all five choices will make a strong push for state titles this season.

Thanks Pujo.

Quarles and his staff sold me in 2000. I always thought they were good but 2000 proved to me that they were great.

Scott Meadows did a great job at Alcoa,He is doing a great job at Jeff County but he proved to me that he was a great coach by taking Sequoyah deep in the playoffs when he was there.

Don Woods has turned the Morristown West program around. MW used to be a pushover but now they aren't. Morristown West will win a championship one day as long as Don Woods stays there.

Cloudland has become a powerhouse. Mike Lunsford has done a good job there.

I think Graham Clark has done a great job at Dobyns Bennett. I have followed DB since former Maryville legend Ted Wilson started coaching there over 20 years ago. DB has a very good team every year. A lot of people criticize DB. DB does not crank out the D1 prospects like Riverdale,Oak Ridge and some of these other 5A powerhouses do. They win because they are well coached.

1) Graham Clark, Dobyns-Bennett: Every year he takes the talent he has and pushes it further than anyone expects.

2) George Quarles, Maryville: He keeps the Maryville dyanasty going.

3) Mike Lunsford, Cloudland: Takes a bunch of small-town boys to the top every year.

4) Scott Meadows, Jefferson County: He's won everywhere he's been.

5) Stanton Stevens, Austin-East: A master motivator.

Blue,

It just seemed weird that there were not any coaches south of Pellissippi Parkway/I-140 (the dividing line between Regions 1 & 2 in 5A) on tloves' list. Just wondering if that was intentional or just a coincidence that's all.

Ted Gatewood is doing a great job. Ooltewah used to be a doormat. I remember Cleveland used to beat them 70-0. Ted Gatewood has done a great job of turning around that program.

Coach Quarlls - Maryville "He's gotta be doing something right!

Coach Meadows - Jeff Co. "Did a great job at Alcoa and still doing it at Jeff

Coach Lunsford - Cloudland "Outstanding"!

Coach Clark - D.B. "Could wind up being the winningest coach in the state

Coach Satterfield - Greenback "He's a producer of successful hardnosed, smashmouth football!

1. George Quarles- Maryville

2. Ralph Potter- McCallie

3. Scott Meadows- Jeff County

4. Don Woods- Morristown West

5. Stanton Stevens- Austin East

Honorable mention- Graham Clark- D.B., Mike Lunsford- Cloudland, Joel Helton- Knox Central, Bill Satterfield- Greenback, Vic Grider- South Pitt, Ted Gatewood- Ooletewah, David Bybee- Baylor, Larry Kerr- AC, Gary Householder- Seymour, and Steve Brewer- Sevier County.

Go Rebs.

Edited by STARSNBARS

I don't know the names of any coachess other than Ted Gatewood. He took a program that had never reached the playoffs before and took the team the the state semifinals, losing to eventual state champs of Riverdale. He was crowned the state coach of the year in 2001 and he continues to build a recurring strong program year after year.

I pretty much agree with REBELRON, but I would also add J.C. Campbell of Hampton to the list. He has been very successful for many years (30+) and is still going strong, although I believe this will be his last year. He deserves some recognition.

Edited by deputydog