Top 5 Head Coaches in East Tennessee

tlove13

WOW! Let's think again! Mark Pemberton inherited a Catholic program that was 3-7 when he got there. In his first year we went 7-4 and in his second year we are 11-0 I think that is the best coach in the state right there ladies and gents. Bill Young from CAK is another turn around man. Meadows from Jeff county has done a good job. Top 5.

1. Mark Pemberton

2. Bill Young

3. Fulkerson from Karns... if you can coach a beaver you can coach neone

4. Quarles of Marryville for obvious reasons

5. Turner from Tyner

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Chattanooga Central coach Curt Jones. This man has done wonders. I know he had a rocky start his first season (0-10), but last year those pounders fought back and went 5-6 and made it to the playoffs. and this year so far they are 8-3 and travel to maryville this week. its gonna be tough but i think those boys can pull it off. Great job coach Jones and good luck to my POUNDERS!!!!!!!!

1) George Quarles - Maryville - I met the man and had the opportunity to talk with him on their way to the State Championship game last year, and he is a class act. Plus, four titles in five years, that is pretty darn good.

2) Don Woods - Morristown West - Some people that I am colleagues with don't like him, but I believe he is an underrated coach. He has got a lot out of this year's team after most thought they couldn't contend for a state title.

3) Scott Meadows - Jefferson County - Simply put, Meadows is a winner. I'm glad he didn't stick around at Tennessee because he was made to be a high school coach. He's done an excellent job for the Patriots the last two seasons.

4) Bruce Lussier - Oak Ridge - Lussier stepped in for the Wildcats a few years back, and he has kept the winning tradition at Oak Ridge alive. Lussier's squad could take a big step towards a state title if they can defeat Jefferson County on Friday night at the 'Ship.

5) Dave Rider - retired, formerly of Elizabethton - There is no mistaking his accomplishments as head man for the Cyclones. He had several great players go through Betsy while he was there, including his grandsons the Witten boys.

Potter was at Baylor before going back to McCallie. Turner was at KirkMAN, not Kirkland. (The school is now gone, the school site is now a hotel and the IMAX Theater, the gym is now the Children's Discovery Museum, and the football field is now BellSouth Park.) Kirkman had no talent in any sport except boys' basketball. Tyner is still playing winning football despite being a magnet school whose makeup is entirely determined by lottery.

im sure that everyone thinks that their coach is the best...at least i do. i think turner and quarles are great coaches but in my own opinion i think jones from CC is the best and heres why.

Jones took this pounder team when they werent doin any poundin at all. and although they did get pounded once this year by tyner they still are the most improved. Jones took over 3 years ago about 1 month beofre the season started and had no time to get anything prepared or set up. he just had to take what he had and go with it..they went 0-10. the next year he took the team and put them in the weight room and under much much ridacule he took the sorry pounder team to a 5-5 season and too the playoffs for the first time since 1997. this year we all know how well central has done and we dont need any commintary for it, but i will say that we went to the 2nd round since i dont know how long and gave the best in 4A a good run.

Alot of these coaches took over a team that was still considered a strong team and just kept them strong or maybe mad them a little stronger. jones went and took the laughing stock and turned them into a fine well respected team, one that people dont really know for sure if they can beat, one that people dont consider scheduling for home coming. in my opinion jones is #1....but im sure im just biased.