ANDREW BUMBALOUGH

DavidVarnPlavich5

Andrew's very, very good..... But lets not jump to conclusions. I have full faith that Andrew can win two more state xc championships, however, the first one was definitely not "easy" and if he goes on to win two more, there will always be someone(s) trying to knock off the champion. Thats what always happens, and always will. So don't assume anything in xc. The past two years have provided for very exciting finishes, not just individually, but team- wise as well.

The state course has been the same since 1986, and the state meet will be run there again this year. Bumbi's 15:07 is still pretty far from Jamie Gifford's record on this course (14:41). Oddly enough, I don't think Gifford's record was set in his senior season. If memory serves, it was his sophmore year. So, a yearly progression that sees time drop as an athlete matures isn't always accurate. In cc there are many factors that influence times also, such as weather conditions and the condition of the course.

BPolley, after watching Bumbi race though, if anyone has a chance at the record, it should be him. We shouldn't count out the fact that times don't mean everything. If he wins this year and next, he should be considered one of the all time best in Tennessee, at least for Division II (which by the way has the fastest times historically). He has some pretty nice competition in the form of the Webb boys this year. We saw them last Thursday at Fireball, and they're getting back into shape earlier this year. It should be interesting.

So, after considering, I guess he's not that far away. But then again, those seconds seem like an eternity when you're trying to whittle them away. I can't wait to see it this year. I can't wait for the season to start.