What Morr. sports writers say about jeff...

JPATS5

Do I choose my alma mater or the team I cover on a regular basis?

By: Brian Trent, Tribune Sports Writer September 12, 2003

Will Jeff Jennings (left) and the Jefferson County Patriots run wild against the Trojans of Morristown West tonight?

The burning question among my colleagues and friends the past seven days is whom am I going to take between Morristown West and Jefferson County in this very column?

There are several variables that weigh into my selection.

First off, I graduated from West in the spring of 1989 (during the late Jack O. Pemberton tenure as principal and the Dale Chrisman era as head coach) and each year, the two games I wanted the Trojans to win more than anything was the ones with Morristown East and Jefferson County.

West split the four games with the 'Canes during my high school days but lost all four to the squad from Dumplin Valley. The one I remember the most is the 36-28 loss at Burke-Toney Stadium in 1986.

Late in the game, a Trojan punt was rolling down the field and was about to be downed. In came the Patriots' Kenny Mattison to sweep the ball off the ground and take off down the sidelines for a game-winning touchdown.

That was then, this is now.

I've had the opportunity to cover Jefferson County the past several seasons and have been treated with much respect by second-year head coach Scott Meadows and his staff.

My disdain for Patriot football, dating back to the mid 1980s, has been washed away.

So, onto my choice for tonight's encounter. Jefferson County (2-0) has a high-powered offensive attack, led by the one-two punch of senior running backs Scooter Houston and Jeff Jennings.

The Trojans' defense is one of, if not the, best that East Tennessee has to offer. Led by All-State defensive end Brandon 'Pee-Wee' Fanney, West (1-1) has given up a mere 16 points and 344 yards in total offense the first two games of the season.

If the game is low scoring, I believe that the Trojans have the advantage. If the game turns into a high-scoring shootout, the Patriots have more weapons to choose from.

Normally, my pick would come right now. However, I'm going to wait until the end of this column to release my choice.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

now, if you have any doubts JHITE7 or any other meadows haters, this is what brian trent says about meadows and his staff. you all are wrong. anyways, it's just because you are just so jealous,jealous, jealous................................ oh, and maryville is just jealous of meadows because he took a 2a school and spanked maryville.

Edited by JPATS5

You tell um' JPATTS.  If Brian Trent said it , its gotta' be true.

I think your runing a crystal-meth lab outa' your kitchen ;)

well, maybe it doesn't mean anything. but it is coming from a morr. west graduate who is a sportswriter at the citizentribune in morristown. i think it deserves some credit.

Edited by JPATS5

Yes jpats5, We are so jealous of Meadows. I was real jealous in 2001 when Maryville abused Alcoa 45-19 in a game that Maryville let off the gas in the 3rd quarter. Maryville could have score 3 more tds easily. We are so jealous of Meadows. I believe MHS has a better coach in George Quarles. Quarles will stay awhile while Meadows will probably leave in a few years. He never stays nowhere long.

You make so much of Alcoa beating Maryville in 2000. Heritage,Halls and Central did also. Maryville had a lot of growing pains in 2000. But. Those young men got better during the year and shocked the whole state by winning the state championship after an 0-4 start. Counting that first win vs William Blount in 2000 19-7 Maryville is 44-1. That is an awesome record. 30 straight wins by Maryville.

Yes jpats5, We are so jealous of Meadows. I was real jealous in 2001 when Maryville abused Alcoa 45-19 in a game that Maryville let off the gas in the 3rd quarter. Maryville could have score 3 more tds easily. We are so jealous of Meadows. I believe MHS has a better coach in George Quarles. Quarles will stay awhile while Meadows will probably leave in a few years. He never stays nowhere long.

You make so much of Alcoa beating Maryville in 2000. Heritage,Halls and Central did also. Maryville had a lot of growing pains in 2000. But. Those young men got better during the year and shocked the whole state by winning the state championship after an 0-4 start. Counting that first win vs William Blount in 2000 19-7 Maryville is 44-1. That is an awesome record. 30 straight wins by Maryville.

rebelron, have you forgotten that meadows son who was only 14 was dying of cancer and died before the season was over. you should really be proud of yourself.

Edited by JPATS5

rebelron, have you forgotten that meadows son who was only 14 was dying of cancer and died before the season was over. you should really be proud of yourself.

I could really open a can of worms about this Jpats, but there is no place on this board for that comment. Just let that comment go away quietly. Not that it matters but it was his stepson.