The Next Level

800trackmom

How do really good runners move on to the next level? How much mental prepartion is needed or is it just a case of doing the workouts and putting in the miles? Sometimes it seems that being very good is a tough place to be. People have a lot of expectations and it seems like very good is never quite good enough. Does it take a different approach for girls than for guys? What works and what doesn't?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a pretty broad question. Books have been written about that very topic. To put it simply, I think it's a combination of all the things you've touched on and more. It doesn't happen by accident very often. There's obviously a lot more to running than meets the eye, and if you haven't competed and trained and made a lot of mistakes it's hard to make it work right. It's also different for each individual. There really isn't one magical formula that fits all.

I'd suggest finding a compatible and competent coach, doing the right workouts for years, and learning how to race. That last one comes easier for some than others. One thing is for certain and it might be the most disconcerting of all especially in Tennessee. The last six weeks of the season is too late. Preparation for next year begins in November.

Good question and good topic.

Thanks CherokeeChief. I don't think most high school runners have a real concept of what it takes to be a Laura Koob or a Dusty Miller. Some have the physical talent but not the dedication and work ethic that is necessary. Others have the work ethic, but lack mental toughness. Whatever the perfect combination is, it has become very obvious to me that it is a combination. My fourteen year old has been running competitively since third grade and for the first time in her life, running is not her life. She still enjoys running and she is good, not elite mind you, but good. There are more social pressures now than in the third grade. I think girls particularly feel those pressures to fit in and running is not always viewed as a "in" sport. As a parent, there is a fine line between encouraging her and pushing her. I want to encourage her and leave it to her coach to push her. Another thing is young girls are very prone to injury. They seem to go through a very fast growth spurt that leaves them with all kinds of issues. I've read lots of books and the one thing is obvious, there are lots of opinions as to what works, a lot of different opinions. You obviously have a great system in place and hopefully the runners will take note of what you say about next year begins in November.

I honestly know nothing about Laura other than watching her run crosscountry and track last year. And while my daughter is decent at crosscountry, I don't think it is her first love in running. She is much more mid distance: 400, 800, and would love to run 300 hurdles but guess what, in track those are back to back to back events. But just maybe if she can get her endurance up good enough to do well in crosscountry, she just might give a shot at least once. The main problem she is having is that when she trains enough to lower her time, its always at the expense of some major pain. She can't see to find the right combination to stay pain free and still get better. And patience just isn't her strong suit at all. She would love to be consistent, like in get better consistently, but it hasn't worked that way for her. She's up one meet, down the next. She's pain free for a couple of weeks and then she hurts. So tell me, runnerboy, what's your secret for success? :D

This is my first year running CC it is very tuff for me, you see i run track and am better at middle distance i run the 400, 800 and 4 by 8. but you see i put in hours and hours for CC you have got to love the sport to be able to run as much as i do and as much as she is . Some people just run CC to stay in shape, or run track to get faster for basketball, football etc. But if your daughter has the dedication to improve then CC is the best thing for her. All i need to tell you and your daughter is i ran a 2:04 in the 800 last year at KIL then this year since practicing for CC i got timed with some other people in the 800 and ran a 2:02 if u know anytihng about the 800 2 seconds is alot so encourage her like u are its tuff and i know what shes going threw. Just tell her to go her hardest, and never stop

Track and cross, what's all this smack talk I hear? Michael and Chris told me what you guys were saying about region. We have the video of your guys predicting a win in the 4x800 from last year if you want to see it. Can we video a prediction for this year's cc region? I'm surprised at you guys.

Peacemaker, you better jump in on this one.

UMMMMMMMMM, I don't know anything about any "Smack Talk"- But I will say this- Ya just never know what will happen from moment to moment--------It could go either way given many different circumstances- (none bad I hope, for either team) As far as last year goes- well...........that was LAST year! A new year has begun(Thank God)! Your 4X800 was great- no "smacking" that- ours was NOT Great, although if Coach had of wanted to put his emphasis on a relay team instead of Individuals- It could have been almost as great anyways! :ph34r: - Still way too soon to be talking Region- another 4 or 5 weeks can make a big difference. No doubt you have the #1 and 2 men- its after that I am waiting to see, but as you said before- itis a fairly weak region with a small number of runners- so it depends alot on 3,4,and 5, and could possibly even go into 6, and 7! I dunno- We might get killed, but I have to have faith and support in the team we are on. GO BEARS!(You Understand-Being a Coach and all)! B)

Edited by peacemaker