40+ years of Lewis County/Loretto football

donhaney

Somewhere in my plethora of stats and records, I have the entire history of the rivalry between Lewis County and Loretto which has been going on continuosly for 55 years. This has always been a rivalry that intrigued me because they are not that close to one another, relatively speaking. The schools are 50 miles apart but play every year. Naturally, the region setup has kept them playing for the past 20 years or so but for the first 35 of those 55 straight years?

Anyways, as promised, here is a breakdown of the series since 1961.

1961: The Panthers were in their second year under legendary coach John Tucker who went on to fame and fiortune at Milan. They finished 7-3 but one of those losses was to Loretto by a 20-6 margin.

1962: Panthers finished 6-4 and lost in the Blanket Bowl to Overton. They defeated Loretto 26-7 in week 7.

1963: John Tucker's final year at Lewis County, he would depart for Dickson after the season. Panthers finished 4-6 but stopped the Mustangs 33-6 in week 7.

1964: Wilson "Bud" West was the new Panther coach and would remain at the helm for 10 seasons. The Panthers went 5-5 in his first season and beat Loretto 28-24 in week 7.

1965: Disappointing 2-6-2 season was highlighted by a 37-0 shutout of the Mustangs in week 7.

1966: One of the Panthers better pre playoff teams. Finished 8-2 and fell to Whitwell in the Crockett Bowl. Whallped the Mustangs 52-0 in week 7.

1967: Panthers were 5-5 and Fairview made their first appearance on a Panther schedule... Loretto was still there in week 7 and the Panthers made it six in a row with a 26-3 decision.

1968: Panthers dropped to 4-5 but again topped the Mustangs, 46-0 in week 7.

1969: The first of three very, very lean years! Panthers fell off the map with an 0-9-1 record. Could only manage an 8-8 tie with Mt Pleasant. Loretto moved to week 8 and got their first win in eight years with a 14-12 victory.

1970: The bottom was reached as the Panthers dropped to 0-9! Loretto stopped the Panthers 14-8 in week 8.

1971: Panthers ended a 21 game winless streak with a season opening 16-0 win over Lynnville (later to merge into Richland High School) But the luck was still no better in week 8 as they dropped their third straight to the Mustangs by a 20-0 score. This season was noteworthy for the initial appearance of College Grove and Brentwood Academy as members of the old Tennessee Valley Conference (renamed to something along the lines of Southern Tennessee??)... College Grove would eventually become Page High School and Brentwood Academy would quickly outgrow this conference and start dominating statewide.

1972: Panthers revived with a defense that allowed only 81 points in 10 games. Panthers kissed their sister with a 6-6 tie against the Mustangs in week 8.

1973: Panthers dropped to 3-6 and also continue to struggle with the revitalized Mustangs who had one of their best teams in years and dominated the Panthers 38-20.

1974: Wilson West's swan song season, he finished with a 10 year record of 41-61-5. Ironically, this team was loaded with young talent that would turn the program around quickly. They finished 6-4 with the offensive star of the team being current Panther head coach Bobby Sharp who played tailback and returned kicks and punts. Panthers again fell to a strong Loretto team 17-0 in week 6.

1975: Tom Parker from Shelbyville was hired as head coach and took the Panthers to two fine years, amidst some unorthodox personal habits. Lewis County lost again to Loretto, 28-19, this time in week 3. Panthers wound up 7-3 and fell to David Lipscomb in the Bear Booster Bowl. Mustangs were 6-0-1 during this seven year run.

1976: Panthers were 9-2, losing to Dyer County 21-6 in round one, their very first State Playoff appearance... The night was bitter cold and I got my first and only ticket in my life while driving back from that game... HA Panthers finally broke thru against Loretto with a 21-3 win in week 3. Parker was released as head coach after the season and replaced by David Duvall.

1977: Duvall's only season produced a 6-5 record and another first round exit from the playoffs (Single A) when they fell to Houston County 28-6. Two in a row over Loretto with a 31-14 week 4 victory.

1978: The beginning of the first true glory years. Young coach named Mike Pack is hired and instills a new attitude at Lewis County. First year is choppy with a 4-6 record but better things were on the way. Panthers stop Mustangs in week 1, 7-0.

1979: Panthers go undefeated for first time in regular season and make it to the semifinals of the playoffs, falling to Lake County 13-0. Season ends with a 12-1 record and a week 1 win over Loretto 27-8.

1980: A fifth straight win over Loretto in week 1, 42-12. A second straight uindefeated season, falling to Godpasture 14-12 in the quarters. Panthers finish 11-1.

1981: A third straight undefeated season and a sixth straight win over Loretto, 2-0 in the opening week. Panthers give up 41 points in 12 games, pitch 8 shutouts and are eliminated by Godpasture for the second straight year in the playoffs, 16-0.

1982: Coach Pack's final season as head caoch, he would leave for University of Tennessee after the season. Panthers finish 8-3 and beat Cascade in the Bell Buckle Lions Bowl 7-0. Panthers drop season opener to Loretto 22-12, stopping their 30 game regular season winning streak. Pack finished with a record of 46-12 and would return to Lewis County in 2003 as an assistant coach.

1983: Bruce Hicklen has one year as Panther head man He goes 4-6 but the Panthers do top the Mustangs in the final game of the year, 28-18.

1984: Lngtime assistant Ron Riley is elevated to head coach and the Panthers go 6-5 in his first year at the top, dropping a 20-13 Lions Bowl decision to Brnetwood High School. It is the Panthers second year in Class AA (3 class setup) after several years in Class A. Panthers pound Loretto 46-18 in week 10.

1985: Panthers drop to 5-6 and play in their last ever bowl game, falling to Madison in their final game as high school in the Pioneer Bowl, 31-14. Panthers see their good luck end against Loretto in week 10 as they fall 10-7.

1986: Panthers hit low mark with 1-9 season, but..... stop Loretto in final game of the year 6-0 to avoid the first ever 0-10 season.

1987: Ron Riley's last season finds the Panthers finish 3-7 but they pick up a 21-12 win over the Mustangs in week 4.

1988: Coach Bobby Sharp is hired to direct the Panthers and begins what has been a great career. A 3-7 initial season finds the Panthers also losing to the Mustangs in week 4, 7-0.

1989: Panthers go 6-5 and make it to the Class AA Playoffs for the first time (3 Class setup)... They fall to Springfield in round one but get a 33-14 win over the Mustangs in week 8.

1990: Coach Sharp sees his team go 8-3 with a 31-19 win over Loretto in week 8. Panthers are beaten by Portland in round one.

1991: The last losing season at Lewis County as they finish 4-6 and drop a 41-0 blowout loss to the Mustangs in week 8.

1992: An 8-3 record is highlighted by a 26-23 overtime win over the Mustangs in week 8. Panthers fall to Springfield in round one in what will be their last year competiting in the three class setup.

1993: Panthers go 8-4 and make it to the second round of the playoffs before losing 17-7 to Memphis ECS. Loretto moves to week 6 and lose to the Panthers 20-6.

1994: Panthers finsih 9-4 and are eliminated in round three of the playoffs by David Lipscomb, 34-9. Defeat Loretto 15-8 in week 6.

1995: Loretto is back to week 10 and falls to the Panthers, 28-14. Lewis County finsihes 12-1, team is regarded as one of the best ever. Lose to Goodpasture in round three, 17-14.

1996: Panthers go 10-2 including a 20-13 win over Loretto in week 10. Fall to Westview in round two, 38-7.

1997: Another 10-2 season includes a 32-22 win in week 10 over the Mustangs, their sixth straight. Fall to Westview in round two, 15-6.

1998: Panthers go 9-2 and roll past Loretto 45-7 in week 10, making it seven in a row. Lose to Westview for the third straight year, 23-13 in round one.

1999: Eight in a row over the Mustangs with a 42-7 week 10 victory. Panthers finish 8-4 and are dumped from the playoffs in round two by Huntingdon, 47-20.

2000: Panthers go 8-4 again and lose to Huntingdon again in round two, 17-3. Also see their streak ended by the Mustangs who win the week 10 contest, 20-14.

2001: Panthers go undefeated in regular season and stop Mustangs in week 10, 45-7. Make it round three of playoffs before losing to McKenzie, 42-14.

2002: An 11-2 season is highlighted by a 35-6 win over Loretto in week 10. Panthers again make it to round three before dropping a 16-13 decision to McKenzie.

Hope you enjoyed this look at the Lewis County-Loretto series and a synposis of the Panthers seasons for the past 43 years. Looks like Lewis County leads the series during that period with 29 wins, 12 losses and one tie.

Edited by donhaney

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Lewis county will smoke loretto this year. I saw them play hickman county, and I was really impressed.

I played for pc and graduated in 01', Lewis Co. has always been good but they seem to never make it, why do you think this is? I am asking you because you obviously know about Hohenwald football.

Tom Osbourne (nebraska coach) once said of his option offense, " Yeah, you know the option is coming, but can you stop it?" It seems that Lewis County during the regular season is unstoppable on the ground. David Sharp may be the best QB Lewis Co. has ever had, why don't they let him pass. Good teams in the playoffs usually stop hohenwald on the ground then late in the game when they have to pass they can't. When I read the paper it says, Sharp 3-6, 49yds passing, and 7 rushing attemps for 78yds. These are good stats for a qb win or lose, but why not let him pass. At the very least it would surprise someone, in the playoffs it is winner take all, who cares about how you win it is all about winning.

If Lewis Co. came out in the playoffs with a 5WR set or alot of shotgun formations, I think that teams wouldn't have it on film and would be screwed. Plus, the shotgun formation is a great formation to run out of, especially if you have a scatback like DAVID SHARP. You don't have to pass all the time, I think that if in the playoffs Lewis Co. "Threw to set up the run" that they would have alot of success.

The last few years have proved to Hohenwald that you can't run everyone over anyway. Coach sharp is a winner, he doesn't have to prove that; But a great coach will change to win, like bear Bryant did when he converted to the Wishbone offense.

I live in Perry County, I will always root for them (especially when coaching changes are made), but Lewis County will always have my respect, because they win, I hope they win it all. And I think that they could this year. This is sharp's last year to prove people wrong.

Don't be afraid of change lewis co., I hope that David Sharp leads yall to Murfreesboro this year, but don't count on it unless at one point of another you pass the ball effectively.....

LATE

P.S. If anyone on the Lewis Co. Coaching Staff wants a job where they could prove themselves, look at PC, their Pee Wee's and Junior Pro teams are the best around, those kids will get older... Don't be afraid to cross the county line and prove that Lewis Co. football is Effective anywhere!

Go Panthers!!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded. It was my pleasure to share a little of the history of the team. We have made a determined effort to find everything we can in the way of scores and stats for the team over the last few years. Unfortunately, as for individual stats, 1964, is as far back as we could trace things but we were able to find scores all the way back thru the 50's and then several years as well inn the 20's, 30's and 40's. I continue to prwl for more information even today.

Donny Brook:

Great post! Have you got any pictures to go with those reports? There are probably some suckers, I mean fans of Panther Nation who would purchase a publication with highlights and pictures.

I repeat my prognosis of a Panther win over the Mustangs this season. And if Lewis County loses, I will come and do 100 wind sprints on the Panther field.

I probably got a few pics and old programs lying around here somewhere, I just need some financial backing to get the project rolling...... Stan?

Best Team? I would say a tossup between the 1979 and 1995 teams...

Best quarterback? David Sharp has the most tools, Wesley Duncan was a good one.. Billy Barnes was a fine QB but he was a much better defensive back. I wouldn't call him the best quarterback but I would say he is the best DB I ever saw play for the Panthers. Best quarterback I ever saw in one season was Benny Lay in 1979. Quick as a cat, exceptional speed, good touch when throwing and could read and run an option like nobody's business. But that's for one year.

Career wise, Sharp or Duncan have the numbers.

Big arm: Tyler Bell or Terry Bunch.

But it's all subjective and an opinion and I am sure that everyone has their own personal favorite.

Don what would you say about running back and reciever? The few years I have been around to watch I would say rainey/hankins but the linebacker would be a toss up. I was always impressed with patterson's motor and heart. I have heard tenison was a hoss back in the day. Any thoughts? Oh yeah if there was to be a program made of facts stats and pics........you would be famous! Thanks for the info.

Pantherman:

The whole idea of the history of Lewis County football is one that I have discussed with Coach Sharp before and would love to undertake some time. Usually, my best time to work on everything is in the dead of winter and it is after the season has ended. Maybe I'll sit down this winter and fullfill my dream project and be ready to make it available by the start of next season.

I have all the stats from the last 40 years here at home. I have been working on them for some 10 years. Anything from career records to season to game records and most of them in very obscure categorys as well...lol It's been an ongoing project and continues even today.

Running back and linebacker eh? Those are really tough to seperate into a best all time.... Maybe I'll just give you a few of them...

Running back:

Ronald "Apple" Webster was a tremendously elusive back who tore a knee up in 1980 and came back the next year as a fullback in the I formation and still gained over a 1000 yards...

Ken Crowell had one of the greatest seasons ever in 1981 and is probably the fastest back in the team's history.... pure top end speed that is.

Randall Hankins.... Great Hoss back, started the whole line of great backs that Coach Sharp has produced.

Benji Rainey.... Can you imagine his career stats if he hadn't missed a year with a broke leg? Even with that, he still holds many, many records.

Jordan Hankins... Tough, tough back, more versatile than most remember...

That's my top five and I would probably give the nod to Rainey....

Linebackers: Here is where I have seen some really good ones... And the great majority of them were pre-Coach Sharp.

Patterson was very good indeed... The other Bubba, Hall was a good one... Tommy Cagle, though undersized was a scrapper..... But here goes and maybe this shows my age?

1966: Best pair ever, Terry Thompson and Gary Skelton... Were the catalyst on defense for a team that will never get the recognition they deserve. Thompson went on to Western Kentucky and was a Little School All American.... it's true.

1972: Ricky "Bull" Clayton, father of current Panther assistant Damien Clayton. Not very big but one tough, tough inside linebacker. This team was 6-2-2 with basically zero offense. He led a very underrated defense.

1979-1980: Clark Carroll.... one of the smartest linebackers that has ever come through. A defensive leader who could read offenses like no one has done since. He had something that others would kill for..... football savy!

1981-1982: Barry Tennison: He was a real force and a fine inside linebacker. Played hard, made tackles and was a presence inside.

1983-1984: Jeff Davis: Held many records as a middle linebacker. Waas simply always around the ball.

1985: Danny Hinson: Regarded by some as the best simply because of his high tackle totals. But they were increased dramatically because our defense was on the field about 70% of every game.

1986-87: Gordon "Porky" McClain Last of the great run of inside linebackers which lasted some 9 seasons. He played hard, really hard and never quit or gave up, even in the midst of really woeful teams.

I couldn't pick one of these... just no way... sorry...lol

Edited by donhaney