Curse Free Coach T

GovMan

CoachT,

Just curious ... I noticed earlier in the week when I attempted to use the word "*stinks" that it automatically corrected to "stinks" when I posted. I have no problem with that ... great feature.

But then I read a post from 64TNChamp in a thread on the football board "MBA versus Hoover,AL" and I saw where he used the word "darned" twice and it still came through.

Just curious as to why it might change "stinks" but not "darned?"

*stinks, when originally typed in to this message started with "s" and rhymed with "ducks".

Edited by GovMan

CoachT,

Just curious ... I noticed earlier in the week when I attempted to use the word "*stinks" that it automatically corrected to "stinks" when I posted. I have no problem with that ... great feature.

But then I read a post from 64TNChamp in a thread on the football board "MBA versus Hoover,AL" and I saw where he used the word "######" twice and it still came through.

Just curious as to why it might change "stinks" but not "######?"

*stinks, when originally typed in to this message started with "s" and rhymed with "ducks".

I hadn't added the word ###### to the filter. I have now.

Along with all of the reasons that profanity is not appropriate language, here or anywhere else, is the fact that the word filter is actually a "protection" for fans. If someone writes those words on here I have no choice but to ban their user name and possibly their IP address which could ban a whole school or town. This way I have a little leeway but I still am not very tolerant of posts full of ######s.

I'm all for profanity filters. Hopefully, however, as technology evolves, the filters will be able to determine the context in which a word is used.

On another site, I once wrote that a team needed to "s*u*c*k it up", in only a positive, character strengthening context. The filter caught it (this filter would replace any curse word with a message like **PROFANITY FILTER**), so my post said "**PROFANITY FILTER** it up".

Thanks CoachT,

Hope you didn't misinterpret my post. I was not complaining in any way at all. I'm glad you use the filters. Great feature for this site.

I was once showing a video to the young people at our church during a True Love Waits campaign, emphasing that they should wait until marriage before having sex.

The tv I showed it on had a "curse free tv" feature added to it. The video rolls and right away, Kirk Cameron comes on and encourages our kids to save sex until marriage. But, the filter bleeped out the word sex and replaced it with hugs. There's a good substitute, ha, ha. So theres Kirk, all through the video, letting our kids know how important it is not to have "hugs" until they get married.

Still a few kinks to work out but a good idea, nevertheless.

Thanks.

I'm all for profanity filters. Hopefully, however, as technology evolves, the filters will be able to determine the context in which a word is used.

On another site, I once wrote that a team needed to "s*u*c*k it up", in only a positive, character strengthening context. The filter caught it (this filter would replace any curse word with a message like **PROFANITY FILTER**), so my post said "**PROFANITY FILTER** it up".

rollredroll...Ha if you said that on this site it would come out..."The team needs to stink it up. :)