If You Can't Beat 'Em

CherokeeChief

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally found a copy, and it's not as big a deal as I thought. Cotton apparently thought we were pacing somehow though. There was something about someone else from another team missing their meet and mixing up the scoring for the AC race.

Last year, Cotton was quoted in the Cleveland paper talking about how they would regroup and beat us in the region (after we won Optimist I think). I just wonder if it's wise to motivate your team via the press. I just think it's humorous to get so worked up over trivialities in this case. At any rate, I'll bring a loung chair to region just to be sure I don't run alongside anyone.

Last year, Cotton was quoted in the Cleveland paper talking about how they would regroup and beat us in the region (after we won Optimist I think). I just wonder if it's wise to motivate your team via the press. I just think it's humorous to get so worked up over trivialities in this case.

Bradley runners have McMinn Co. as target

By JOHN HUNT Banner Sports Editor

Published October 23, 2002 9:35 AM EDT

Despite the talent and the obvious edge the Cherokees have displayed, Cotton isn't ready to concede defeat to anyone, including McMinn County.

"We're closing the gap with McMinn, but they've outworked us so far. They have an outstanding team and I tip my cap to them for the season they've had, but we're going to keep coming after them. We're not backing down from anyone," Cotton explained earlier this week.

"All of these kids are in shape to run well. We train all year for these two races as none are any bigger than the region and the state. We're going after McMinn. I promise you we'll be ready and we're trying to beat them. Nothing against them personally, but we want to win the region.

"We finished eighth in the state in '97, but we have the ability to do better than that. These guys are better, time wise, but that's on paper. If we knew what they'd do on race day, there would be no reason to run," Cotton concluded.

"We're closing the gap on McMinn." I think that's a key sentence in all this. If you recall, how was Bradley closing the gap on us? If nothing else, that was a lie. Enough said. The article in the paper today should have talked about how well McCool did and how well our team did. But again, the comments of the other coaches have detracted from the accomplishments of the athletes and that's regrettable. The writer chose to highlight the whining of a coach over reporting wonderful athletic performance.

Finally, if I ran "several hundred yards" with our B-team winner, I see why your team struggles. Your repeats are way too short if you judge your distances the same way. I did run from point to point on the course. I seriously doubt that anyone would consider what I was doing pacing. Unless that is, you are looking for excuses or expressing your petty jealousies. Grow up. Get a life.